ULTIMATE COMMANDER KEEN 4
Ultimate Commander Keen 4 (or a.k.a. Commander Keen 4 Ultimate Edition) is a fan-made, enhanced update and an unofficial expansion pack for the original Keen 4 game including several bugfixes (I fixed as many as I could; bugs that can be ignored/avoided and are useful were not fixed) and newer stuff, but also unused features as well that are in Keen 4 Demo, but weren't used in the full version.
Here are the important changed you should know about:
- On the startup screen, the three year numbers (1991, 1992, 1993) can be found along with the "id Software, Inc." sign, which now has dark blue outline with yellow letters.
- At the bottom of the loading screen, the game says: "Initializing..." "Loading..." "Ready - Press a key".
- At the bottom of the startup screen, an "ULTIMATE EDITION - (C)2019 Szemigi" sign has been added.
- On the terminator text screen, the big "COMMANDER KEEN" sign has dark-cyan shading.
- On the terminator screen, the letters have blue-yellow color palette.
- All the demos have been re-recorded.
- Added (not enterable) stone houses in Slug Village and Hillville.
- Keen can now jump onto and walk on the roof the stone houses.
- Help menu can only be called in-game for technical reasons.
- The "ORDER INFO" has been renamed to "INFORMATIONS", which only mentions how to play Ultimate Keen 4 and how to obtain the other episodes.
- On the terminator screen the "ID" logo has been changed to "Id" (Keen 1-3 type).
- "About ID" has been changed to "About id/ME".
- "About id/ME" now uses 2 types of Id logos: on the first page the current, on the next page the old one is used.
- All the 15 text colors have been used in the game (except the dark red due to having dark red background color in the game).
- All the creatures have description.
- The drop now have image in the help menu.
- In the "STORY" section, Keen's father and mother now have portraits.
- The Help now says "COMPUTERWRIST" instead of "COMPUTER WRIST".
- In the ComputerWrist menu, at the command line parameter section, the game mentions to run "KEEN4E" instead of "KEEN4".
- The game has two title screens.
- Added plus 5 unlockable bonus levels:
- 18. Three-Tooth Lake Shallows
- 19. Ancient Village
- 20. Cave of Coolness
- 21. Desert Town (must be completed)
- 22. Pyramid of the Allowed (second secret level and energy source level as well)
- Added a 9th member to rescue: the Oracle Maintainer. (It's plus one member I created myself for this update as a more challenging task.)
- All the musics - including the demo version of the worldmap, the extended Oasis music, the Bullfrog and the Dopey - has been used.
- Keen's Neural Stunner is now green in the game (special thanks to Zilem).
- On the scorebox, Keen's weapon is now green.
- The High Scores level has now entry text (since it's now level 24).
- On the high score screen, the name, the score, and the member columns are now wider.
- In the Perilous Pit level, the "imaginary pole" has been removed.
- The player can no longer go outside of the Pyramid of the Forbidden.
- Keen can no longer perform the "air door" trick.
- The invisible door tile has been fixed.
- Keen can no longer "teleport" in the Lifewater Oasis level and the unreachable area has become available.
- The player can no longer sink into the floor in Well of Wishes.
- The flag no longer clips in front of the scorebox.
- Joystick 1 and 2, Gravis Gamepad menus now have owner bitmap header.
- The typos in level entries, level names, Oracle member message window, Oracle Janitor message window have been corrected.
- The F10+C has been removed for being useless (due to the secondary song list patch that overwrote this cheat).
- The 1UP sprite that appears after collecting 100 drops is now dark-light cyan.
- The keygem sprites now look unique.
- The blue gem and its holder now have normal blue shade.
- Keen has own separated switch-flicking/door opening sprite.
- Keen's unused computerwrist-watching sprite has been used as a part of Keen's bored animation.
- 2 dopefishes have been removed from Well of Wishes and has been put into the other underwater level to avoid memory problems.
- F10+T, and P cheats now have been removed as well for being unstable.
- In Cave of the Descendents, the 5 Shikadi Sodas and the 2 waterflasks can now be collected without cheating or dying.
- In the Pyramid of Shadows, the acid pool's bottom is surrounded by pyramid-type ground tile.
- Again, in the Pyramid of Shadows, the 7 flasks and the Neural Stunner can now be collected without cheating or dying.
- Keen cannot escape to the Oracle member via the secret passage in the Pyramid of Shadows (where the 7 flasks and the Neural Stunner are).
Most important thing: Since the game cannot have 3 (only 2) WoW-type scrolling levels, that's why the worldmap has normal level-type scrolling. Extremely sorry for that!
Demo video footage:
Mirror 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3mhkarwj74b27x/UCK4.zip?dl=0
Mirror 2: https://www.4shared.com/zip/UFPBN5hJda/UKEEN4.html
* No unnecessary criticizing and nitpicking like "the loading screen looks dumb" and things like that, etc.!
* No complaining that the new levels are unplayable and each tiles don't look good. (I tested the new 5 bonus levels in hard mode and they can be completed + I tried to make as good new tiles as I could.
* Stop ruining the fun, I worked on this update hard!
* Only and only constructive criticism allowed.