Commander Keen Petition

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Commander Keen314
Grunt

Commander Keen Petition

Post by Commander Keen314 »

Hello, for as long as I can remember, I have been playing Commander Keen games. In fact, Commander Keen 4 was one of the first games I have ever played.

I'm sure you all have seen the new mobile Commander Keen game from Bethesda, and i'm sure that, like me, you all are not fans of it. That is why I started this petition http://chng.it/BS6ZWbNM45

Im asking Bethesda to cancel this game and allow Tom Hall to continue to make his versions of the games. now I know this probably won't work at all, but hey, I couldn't let them ruin my favorite game of all time without at least trying to stop it.

So im asking you, from one Keen fan to another, to sign this petition :begging
:dopefish
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Re: Commander Keen Petition

Post by RoboBlue »

I'm not sure cancelling the only new Keen game in almost twenty years is a good thing, no matter how bad it is.
Keen mobile is at the very least an opportunity for new people to discover the classic games and potentially a reason for Id to port them to the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

RoboBlue wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 I'm not sure cancelling the only new Keen game in almost twenty years is a good thing, no matter how bad it is.
Yeah, as terrible as the new game is - and it is, it's a load of bloody what-the-actual-dopefish-is-this - it could still revive interest, or get a new generation interested in Keen. For that reason alone I have to say it's...not necessarily a good idea really, but it could work in our favor.

I agree that it'd be better to have Tom Hall finally making his, and our, dreams for Keen come true, yet alas...
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Signed.

For Bethesda: :barf
Yeah, piece of cake!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I've seen people do petitions to get big companies to do something, and they didn't really help with anything at the end, so I don't think this one will be much different. Sorry, but that's just how it seems to go.

I agree with what RoboBlue and nanomekia said, though. As bad as the new game is, we may get more people into Keen if we're lucky. Maybe we'll eventually get ports, and, perhaps, a new Keen game that's actually GOOD! :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

For those of us who are not aware of a new game....pic? link?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

DoomJedi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57 For those of us who are not aware of a new game....pic? link?
Check out this thread here
:helmet

Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Well, I do approve of at least trying to do something rather than just taking this sitting down.

I don't get the feeling something of this scope would actually lead to the game being fully cancelled, so either way there's no harm in signing. At the least, nothing will happen. At the most, it will show them that there's discontent (although if they're paying attention, they would have already realised this) but also what we want done about it. And then they still might not care....
Probably for this to have any kind of effect, it would have to expand way outside of PCKF. I wonder just what number of people would have to sign a petition for such a company to take it seriously. 100 000? 1 000 000?

nanomekia wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 23:32 [...] it could still revive interest, or get a new generation interested in Keen.
There's also the other side of the coin, where new players might think the reboot is boring (depending on how the game actually ends up, granted it's pretty hard to tell right now) and assume the originals are as well. If they even realise that there are originals.

About the potential of an "actual game", well, honestly, after this can we really trust Bethesda to do a good job? I haven't seen anything to indicate they care about Keen any more than just a "quick cash grab", and if they don't care, anything they do is going to be mediocre at best.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

proYorp wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14... rather than just taking this sitting down.
Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh? :pirate
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

About the potential of an "actual game", well, honestly, after this can we really trust Bethesda to do a good job? I haven't seen anything to indicate they care about Keen any more than just a "quick cash grab", and if they don't care, anything they do is going to be mediocre at best.
Maybe if we're lucky, they'll go the Activision route and at least release a really good quality remake / remaster of the original games before moving onto making trashy new ones. :D
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

proYorp wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 There's also the other side of the coin, where new players might think the reboot is boring (depending on how the game actually ends up, granted it's pretty hard to tell right now) and assume the originals are as well. If they even realise that there are originals.
Unfortunately true, but I do try not to be a complete sad sack. :P
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

RoboBlue wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 Keen mobile is at the very least an opportunity for new people to discover the classic games and potentially a reason for Id to port them to the Switch, PS4 and Xbox One.
Ports, emulators, and CG will all appear in searches for the new game on app stores, so there will definitely be visibility. I know some aren't fans of some or any of those mobile implementations, but they're still windows into the Wild World of Keen.

IP owners haven't cared about the game for decades, so I don't see why they'll care about a petition from og players now they're finally using it.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Keening_Product wrote:searches for the new game on app stores, so there will definitely be visibility
Judging by the google trends for "commander keen" after E3, interest vanished almost instantaneously... will interest in the actual mobile game be more sustained (assuming it is as bad as we expect)?
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Benvolio wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 17:13
Keening_Product wrote:searches for the new game on app stores, so there will definitely be visibility
Judging by the google trends for "commander keen" after E3, interest vanished almost instantaneously... will interest in the actual mobile game be more sustained (assuming it is as bad as we expect)?
No.
The formula for cheaply made free to play mobile game releases is to release shortly before you announce the game, to maximize the number of random impulse downloads and potential "whales" who'll get addicted and dump hundreds or thousands of dollars into your crappy product.

Now that the dust has settled, I'll be surprised if even a hundred people download the game, let alone play it or spend money on it.
FribbulusXaxMan
Grunt

Post by FribbulusXaxMan »

Commander Keen314 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 20:04 Hello, for as long as I can remember, I have been playing Commander Keen games. In fact, Commander Keen 4 was one of the first games I have ever played.

I'm sure you all have seen the new mobile Commander Keen game from Bethesda, and i'm sure that, like me, you all are not fans of it. That is why I started this petition http://chng.it/BS6ZWbNM45

Im asking Bethesda to cancel this game and allow Tom Hall to continue to make his versions of the games. now I know this probably won't work at all, but hey, I couldn't let them ruin my favorite game of all time without at least trying to stop it.

So im asking you, from one Keen fan to another, to sign this petition :begging
I'll be blunt with you:

Corporations wipe their asses with petitions.

They pay zero attention to those.