The Armageddon App

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Re: The Armageddon App

Post by 55Aavenue »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 21:24 I'd like to help you fix this bug, but I just can't get it to pop up at all and I haven't seen any obvious bugs in your patch scripts that might be responsible for this. If you know how to reproduce the bug or have a saved game that always triggers this bug, let me know.
Hey K1n9_Duk3 if this offer still stands and you've got time, I have a save file now where this happens and I could really use your help, I'm pretty stumped with this. This save file starts you on the top floor of the station. Taking the main elevator back to the middle floor works fine, but then if you try to take the 1st elevator back to the bottom floor, the glitch happens. I just completed 2 levels on the top floor (levels 21 and 22), and the glitch would not happen until after I completed those levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/065zvtxb6cxag ... 1.CK5?dl=1
Last edited by 55Aavenue on Mon May 11, 2020 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hey 55Aavenue,
if you could, please replace the last digit of your download link with a 1. this way one can directly download your files instead of getting a redirect to dropbox.com. this makes things a bit easier for all of us.

next to that I really hope to find some spare time soon to dive even deeper into The Armageddon App. so far I have a lot of fun. this mod is full of love, grins and giggles. can't wait to explore even further
out now (link) : Image
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Nisaba wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 Hey 55Aavenue,
if you could, please replace the last digit of your download link with a 1. this way one can directly download your files instead of getting a redirect to dropbox.com. this makes things a bit easier for all of us.
Oh, wasn't aware of that trick. Done.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the game!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

This game is fantastic. I didn't reach the 80% of the score and the Koarth moon level, but I know that there is a sequel

P. S. I got a glitch with the elevators. When I was returning near the Main engineering, the elevator blocks the game
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So, in one level, a korath said that you can carry keygems through levels. I've managed to beat Cargo Bay A with green key. However, after I've beaten it, it did not carry the key. Is this something that's not working correctly or is that carrying key thing a joke?
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Roobar wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 19:39 So, in one level...
He says you can carry unused keycards (for the security doors) to the next level, not gems. There is a spot to use the green gem hidden somewhere in Cargo Bay A.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

55Aavenue wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 0:39 Hey K1n9_Duk3 if this offer still stands and you've got time, I have a save file now where this happens and I could really use your help, I'm pretty stumped with this. This save file starts you on the top floor of the station. Taking the main elevator back to the middle floor works fine, but then if you try to take the 1st elevator back to the bottom floor, the glitch happens. I just completed 2 levels on the top floor (levels 21 and 22), and the glitch would not happen until after I completed those levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/065zvtxb6cxag ... 1.CK5?dl=1
This appears to be a tough nut to crack. In that savegame, the destination coordinates for the elevator in question have been removed entirely. That means the value is 0 and therefore Keen will move to x=0, y=0 when entering that elevator. The question is why this was set to zero.

The easiest explanation would be that the coordinates had been removed in the GAMEMAPS file you were using while playing up to this point. When Keen returns to the world map, the game always reloads the base level from the GAMEMAPS and then applies changes (like spawning flags, removing the barriers linked to the completed levels, making completed levels inaccessible, spawning Keen at the correct position and also opening or closing the elevator doors based on Keen's position on the world map.

When I load your saved game and enter any level, the elevator works again when I return to the world map (either by getting killed in the level or "finishing" the level with E+F10). I don't know what else you've been doing in between finishing the most recent level and saving your game on the world map. So I guess a "corrupted" GAMEMAPS file would be the easiest explanation (and the problem should actually be fixed by now).

If the GAMEMAPS file is not the problem, then there might be something fishy going on with your patches. I have checked the patched code that is directly related to the elevator doors and there's nothing in there that would mess up the coordinates in the info plane. But it's possible that something else in the code is causing memory corruption and that in turn caused the game to erase the coordinates. Your patch file is huge, so it'll take quite some time to check all of that for possible errors.

And remember, there was that one bug in your the patches for the intro that was causing some kind of memory corruption. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with this error, but it's possible.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

also Abiathar's level inspector gives a warning that your worldmap consists out of too many unique tiles. this might have something todo with those door crashes...

55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 20:46 And remember, there was that one bug your the patches for the intro that was causing some kind of memory corruption. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with this error, but it's possible.
I've removed that patch now, I'll try duplicating everything I did to get that save file and see if it still happens, if it does I guess I'll start temporarily disabling other patches and trying again, see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the input, at least I have a general idea of what is happening now, and I just need to figure out why.
Nisaba wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 21:56 also Abiathar's level inspector gives a warning that your worldmap consists out of too many unique tiles. this might have something todo with those door crashes...
Good point, I'll try and see what I can cut out of the world map to bring the tile count down, see if that helps. Thanks.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I came across a glitch in level 22 (Hydro Sphere):

unfortunately same happens in all levels with a similar setup, like level 17, 20 and 24.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

https://postimg.cc/rKM4tgGf

This makes no sense!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 21:45 https://postimg.cc/rKM4tgGf

This makes no sense!
Actually, it does! At least to me:
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 21:24 Your "opening doors subtracts 1 card instead of setting stat directly to 0" should use "%patch $AD16 $90 $90" directly after "%patch $AD12 $FF".
Without the "%patch $AD16 $90 $90" fix I mentioned, opening the security door tries to execute two 0 bytes as an instruction. I have no idea what would happen when that "code" is executed (IDA can't even disassemble that part), but it's obviously bad. It might actually be related to the elevator bug as well.

If you have already added that fix to the patch file and still triggered that bug, then I guess it doesn't make any sense to me either.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon

Post by Syllypryde »

I wasn’t dying there before so I don’t understand why I’m dying there now. I replayed the level six times, got to that keycard door and each time the same thing, instant death.

Finally...
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

So I'm working on an update but I haven't figured out the elevators yet, once I do I'll release a proper update that addresses all concerns that have been brought to my attention. However, in the meantime, so people don't run into major problems like the one Syllypryde just did, here is an updated patch file which contains the %patch $AD16 $90 $90 correction from K1n9_Duk3 for the keycards. The broken intro credits patch has been deleted altogether since it was pointless and it made the credits glitch anyway. You can simply copy and paste this new file (abiathar.pat) into your Armageddon App folder and allow it to overwrite the old patch file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a06tmyr63kbxp ... r.pat?dl=1

I swapped this updated patch file into the main download in the 1st post, so anyone who downloads the game after the time of this post will already have the newer patch file version.

Also, nicely done on getting the perfect score Syllypryde! I'm pretty sure you're the first one!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

55Aavenue wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 ......However, in the meantime, so people don't run into major problems like the one Syllypryde just did, here is an updated patch file which contains the %patch $AD16 $90 $90 correction from K1n9_Duk3 for the keycards. The broken intro credits patch has been deleted altogether since it was pointless and it made the credits glitch anyway. You can simply copy and paste this new file (abiathar.pat) into your Armageddon App folder and allow it to overwrite the old patch file......
It is still happening...
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/PCKF%20 ... e=personal
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees