Unnamed Mod Monsters

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Unnamed Mod Monsters

Post by tulip »

Working on the Mod Monsters Section of KeenWiki I've come across many monsters without any name given by the author of the mod.
So I started this thread. Whenever I come across such a monster, I'll post the issue here, and ask for an appropriate name. When we're lucky the author himself jumps in and gives us the name of the creature. (As Xky did before)

I've uploaded pictures and expanded enemies section for Kidnapped Keen.

There are currently two unnamed monsters in this mod:

The Tank Bot replacement and the Butler Bot replacement.

My ideas are Skree Guard Robot (since the Skree most likely built it) for the Tankbot replacement and Toy Robot (since it walks among toys on the planet Og) for the Butler Bot replacement.

Any better ideas? Or an official name (Ceilick)?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Actualy the yorp/octopus thing has no name; the butler bot is the Tredops.

Skree Guard Robot sounds good, preferably as "Skree Guardbot".

As for the yorp, I really have no idea. Something like Octopod or something maybe

If I knew anything about adding stuff to the wiki, I'd help out with other mods. Is there someway I can help you out in adding the various creatures?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ah, good, I'll correct that. Thanks, I'll come back to here for more monster names in the future.

Edit: There is still the Tongue Monster, it's only tiles, I know but it deserves an entry I think. What's its name?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Didn't have a name for this one either, but in light of the etymology thread, I'll name it a "Lingloll", from lingua the Latin for tongue, and loll as in lolling tongue.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ha ha, great! Lingloll it is.

Next I'd like to put the Gobo III monsters in. Apparently none of them has a name.

My ideas are:
The Tankbot replacement could be a "Yorp Guardbot"
The Butlerbot replacement could be a "Yorp Service Droid" or even a "Yorp Scrub"
The Vorticon replacement is basically just a color switch of the one seen in Yorphius II, and I think it was referred to as an "Ancient Beast".
The other two, I have no idea yet: the blue yorp replacement and the one-eyed Garg-alike.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The tankbot should probably be "Yorp Assassin Droid", as the story is that the Yorps strand Keen on Gobo III because they 'want him dead'.

Since I had used the Meep to make the butler bot, I'd call it a "Goban Meep", a variety of meep that are mute.

You're right about the Vorticon, I'd list it under Keenrushes Ancient Beast as a variety exported from Yorphius to Gobo III as part of the plan to kill keen, the change in fur color attributed to the environment of Gobo III.

The yorp can be a "Goban".

And the garg can be a "Goban Beast".
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ok, I'll upload with these names. I was never aware that the Goban Meep looks like a Meep, but now that you tell me... :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Things like this are why I'm naming ALL my mod characters.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ok, the Gobo Monsters are up. This brings us straight to the next game Yorphius II:

How do we call the special Yorps? My idea would be "Elder Yorp" because it looks kind of old to me.

And the Garg replacement? Maybe "Ruin Beast", because it can be found in the ruins of Yorphius.

The Tank Bot can be "Mortimer Tank Bot" or "Tank Mortimer".

What do you think?
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

KeenRush: What ARE those beasts' names? :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I have to check if I have any notes anywhere (which I very much doubt). I might have on my old harddrive but I still can't access its contents. Too bad I have no kind of memory about these, probably I did not even want to think any names for them. Elder Yorp is ok, unless I can find out if I have a name for it already. If I remember correct something indeed was called 'Ancient Beast', as mentioned in some post here, but oddly I think it was the name of the garg replacement. But of course I'm not sure. :old I have to think of something.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

KeenRush wrote:If I remember correct something indeed was called 'Ancient Beast', as mentioned in some post here, but oddly I think it was the name of the garg replacement.
Yes, I called them "Ancient Beasts" when they appeared in the endscreen of XkyKeen3 (scroll down). :) But even in THAT post, we weren't sure what the REAL name was!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ah, maybe I should've read that thread earlier. But it also states that the Ancient beast has no name, so I say we leave it as is until KeenRush comes up with his names.
Until he does so, propably some time will pass, so we might as well go on naming other monsters. I've preparing ShadowKeen 1 next, and since Levellord is not too likely to reappear, I presume we have to find names ourselves.
Some of the monsters were named, the only a few need names:
The butler bot in Part B are some kind of "baby shadow beings", I don't know if thats a good name.
The tankbots in Part B and the Vorticon aren't named iirc, I always called the Vorticons "Shadow Overlords".

Any suggestions?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Okay, I waited a long time for an answer to that one.
Is anyone even interested in the mod monster sections? Or do I only do that for myself?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I say go for it; I've done plenty of things like this for myself alone.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.