Keen 5 CGA found!!!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Spaz
Meep

Keen 5 CGA found!!!

Post by Spaz »

I thought this may interest you. I'm a member of a private retrogaming community and today this lost gem was posted.

For the purists: Here's the original floppy image of Commander Keen - Goodbye Galaxy! v1.4 CGA:
---

The extracted content:
---
Last edited by Spaz on Sun Mar 22, 2009 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Very interesting. A mystery has been revealed.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

You beat me to it but you forgot that another new version was also found, 1.4 CGA of Keen 6. Maybe not as significant, but let it not be lost in time nontheless.
Get it here or the disk images here.
Spaz
Meep

Post by Spaz »

Wow, you're right! I missed that one. Maybe someday Keen Dreams CGA will surface.
Last edited by Spaz on Sun Mar 22, 2009 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Sorry dudes, I'm afraid I have to remove your links, since the games (still) aren't freeware...

(Thanks for the special versions, though. 8))
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

KeenRush wrote:(Thanks for the special versions, though. 8))
:p

Anyways, here's a patch which changes 1.0 or 1.4 EGA of Keen 5 to 1.4 CGA. I'll cook up the Keen 6 patch later...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Seems the Keen Collective is now complete apart from Keen 5 CGA 1.0.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hey! Way cool! I had long ago given up on ever seeing this.

The Keen Collective will be updated shortly. :pirate

(Anyone who grabbed the original floppy image, I would like that as well. A simple discreet email, please. :))

edit: Or a PM.

edit 2: And the Keen 6 CGA 1.4 please.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

EDIT: Nevermind.
Last edited by IMA3HDDMNKY on Mon Mar 23, 2009 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

KeenRush ruining all our fun... :p
How about that link for the Keen 6 patch?

First off, why did ID even make a CGA version of Commander Keen and second... how would that even work?
spaz wrote:I'm a member of a private retrogaming community and today this lost gem was posted.
Oooh, secret.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, don't ask me... The CGA versions seem quite a mad thing to do, especially since they didn't make ones of Keen 1-3 which were even earlier games. :crazy (Seemingly these Keen 4-6 CGA weren't very popular since they haven't been found here until quite recently...)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

Okay, I finished the Keen 6 CGA 1.4 patch. Get it from here (requires 1.0 CGA Keen 6 to patch). Also fixed a small error in the Keen 5 CGA patch which could make the patching process fail, get corrected patch from here (requires Keen 5 1.4 EGA to patch).
Galaxieretter wrote:First off, why did ID even make a CGA version of Commander Keen...
CGA setups were still quite common in 1991 and from what I can remember hearing from somewhere, the CGA version did sell moderately well at start, but was then later discontinued as CGA setups ceased to exist.
KeenRush wrote:The CGA versions seem quite a mad thing to do, especially since they didn't make ones of Keen 1-3 which were even earlier games.
The reason why no CGA version of Keen 1-3 was ever made was probably primarily because John Carmack didn't know how to do smooth scrolling on CGA setups at the time, the "trick" he had discovered only worked on EGA cards. Obviously he did figure out how to achieve this on CGA cards before the Galaxy duo of games came.
tulip wrote:Seems the Keen Collective is now complete apart from Keen 5 CGA 1.0.
Ask me, and I think we are still missing a bunch of versions:
Keen 2 1.34
Keen 3 1.34
Keen 4 1.2 CGA
Keen 5 1.0 CGA
Keen 6 1.5 CGA
Keen Dreams Registered 1.01 (?)
Keen Dreams Registered 1.13 (?)

So the hunt is still on! :D
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Is there actually any proof that there was a version 1.34 for the whole Vorticons trilogy?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Litude wrote:The reason why no CGA version of Keen 1-3 was ever made was probably primarily because John Carmack didn't know how to do smooth scrolling on CGA setups at the time, the "trick" he had discovered only worked on EGA cards. Obviously he did figure out how to achieve this on CGA cards before the Galaxy duo of games came.
Ah, thanks for info, that makes sense. :)
Litude
Vortininja

Re:

Post by Litude »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:Is there actually any proof that there was a version 1.34 for the whole Vorticons trilogy?
As we haven't found it, no. But I don't see why they would only have updated the first game.