What Music Are You Listening To?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: What Music Are You Listening To?

Post by Syllypryde »

Jinjer- Vortex
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Buckethead. I got into him back when I was in high school, but it was only a couple years ago, when I found out he had 306 albums and counting, that I started listening to him on a hardcore level. I've listened to between 130-140 of his albums, and wow, this guy has so much variety to his work and he can play basically anything on guitar.

I strongly recommend checking him out, there's something for everyone in his discography, from heavy rockers, to chill out, to ambience, to horror. You won't be disappointed.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 23:23 Lately I've been listening to a lot of Buckethead. I got into him back when I was in high school, but it was only a couple years ago, when I found out he had 306 albums and counting, that I started listening to him on a hardcore level. I've listened to between 130-140 of his albums, and wow, this guy has so much variety to his work and he can play basically anything on guitar.

I strongly recommend checking him out, there's something for everyone in his discography, from heavy rockers, to chill out, to ambience, to horror. You won't be disappointed.
He has collaborated with Les Claypool of Primus several times so I have heard of him. He does good work. I'm not sure I would listen to all 306 of his albums though.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 0:41 He has collaborated with Les Claypool of Primus several times so I have heard of him. He does good work. I'm not sure I would listen to all 306 of his albums though.
I've heard a couple of those, and Monsters And Robots is probably my favorite. I know what you mean about listening to his entire discography,
I mean 300+ albums, how do you keep up with that? Especially when he's still putting out multiple albums a year, but there's certainly a few in particular that are worth a listen. There's something for everyone.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:54I've heard a couple of those, and Monsters And Robots is probably my favorite. I know what you mean about listening to his entire discography,
I mean 300+ albums, how do you keep up with that? Especially when he's still putting out multiple albums a year, but there's certainly a few in particular that are worth a listen. There's something for everyone.
Considering I have 600-700 cd's, 306 albums might not be that big of stretch, but I probably wouldn't like them enough to listen to them semi-regularly let alone regularly.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:39 Considering I have 600-700 cd's, 306 albums might not be that big of stretch, but I probably wouldn't like them enough to listen to them semi-regularly let alone regularly.
600-700?! That's awesome! It's good to hear that there's other people out there who still see the value of owning physical media.

As for the Bucket stuff, it kinda depends on what you're in to. Being a more hardcore fan of his work, I can tell you that there's a lot of albums
I don't listen to often (partly because of his vast catalogue), though a lot of times they make for good background music, and I wouldn't say everything he's ever done is necessarily good, but there's a fair amount of albums that really stand out (Population Override, Colma, Electric Tears,
A Real Diamond In The Rough and Pepper's Ghost just to name a few).
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:40 600-700?! That's awesome! It's good to hear that there's other people out there who still see the value of owning physical media.

As for the Bucket stuff, it kinda depends on what you're in to. Being a more hardcore fan of his work, I can tell you that there's a lot of albums
I don't listen to often (partly because of his vast catalogue), though a lot of times they make for good background music, and I wouldn't say everything he's ever done is necessarily good, but there's a fair amount of albums that really stand out (Population Override, Colma, Electric Tears,
A Real Diamond In The Rough and Pepper's Ghost just to name a few).
I see the value in supporting the artists I respect with my money. However, since Hollywood has mostly exposed themselves for the morally corrupt and hypocritical cynts they are, I doubt I will ever buy most movies spewed out of Hollywood ever again. As for Buckethead for the most the only music I checked out from him has been his collaborations with Les. I might have heard other albums here and there.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:38 I see the value in supporting the artists I respect with my money. However, since Hollywood has mostly exposed themselves for the morally corrupt and hypocritical cynts they are, I doubt I will ever buy most movies spewed out of Hollywood ever again. As for Buckethead for the most the only music I checked out from him has been his collaborations with Les. I might have heard other albums here and there.
I get it. I'm the same way, and I too have been feeling disenchanted with Hollywood for some time now what with the lack of creativity and
all the corruption (Weinstein is just the tip of the iceberg, and it's practically guaranteed the other shoe is gonna drop one day. His controversy pretty much opened the floodgates for accusations against powerful Hollywood types), and I've mostly lost interest in mainstream movies, TV shows, music etc. As a result, I've developed an appreciation for more underground bands and even got to meet some members of them, who all turned out to be really nice people who are clearly just in it for the music.

I have a friend who I've been chatting with over the phone since lockdown into the early morning hours, and our whole thing is slandering
the entertainment industry. We both feel that Hollywood is very slowly dying as more and more scandalous stories crop up, and more
people call out the lack of creativity, smoke and mirrors, and elitism. That's the other thing, everything they spew out these days tries
to force some political message into it, and it's always the most forced, contrived BS that just shows you how out of touch they are with the
world. If there's one thing people hate, it's being talked down to. At the end of the day, being fans of Japanese monsters, we both say the same thing: "Thank God the stuff we're in to is made in another country."
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

My foreign country is the past.... give me 1930s America, 1960s Britain, 1970s America, 1980s/90s Britain... well you probably notice a pattern...

Ignoring the 21st century is my modus operandi. The proponents of culture in this millenium that I respect are mostly members of this forum... and a handful of nu metal bands.

Currently listening:
"After Midnight" - J.J. Cale
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

On another thread in this topic I listed many of the bands I listen to. Majority of them are bands that have been around for a long time. There are a fee new bands here and there I like but they are in heavy metal and more extreme metal which is a long way from mainstream for many of them.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Currently listening to the Guns N' Roses locker leaks from 2019 (it's a long story). It just shows how much wasted potential the new lineup had
in the early 2000s if Chinese Democracy had been released while people were still interested. I mean, there's like 2-3 albums worth of material
just on these discs, and about 30 songs on there never got released. The songs on them that DID get released also sound way better than what we got
(no excessive overdubs or pro tools, no drawn out intros, and Brian May plays on a few songs). Not only that, but this lineup consisted of
some of the most talented musicians out there, from NIN guitarist Robin Finck, to guitar hero Buckethead, to Vandals and A Perfect Circle
drummer Josh Freese, to Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, and so on.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 21:19 Currently listening to the Guns N' Roses locker leaks from 2019 (it's a long story). It just shows how much wasted potential the new lineup had
in the early 2000s if Chinese Democracy had been released while people were still interested. I mean, there's like 2-3 albums worth of material
just on these discs, and about 30 songs on there never got released. The songs on them that DID get released also sound way better than what we got
(no excessive overdubs or pro tools, no drawn out intros, and Brian May plays on a few songs). Not only that, but this lineup consisted of
some of the most talented musicians out there, from NIN guitarist Robin Finck, to guitar hero Buckethead, to Vandals and A Perfect Circle
drummer Josh Freese, to Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, and so on.
I first heard Guns N' Roses when I watched their video for Welcome to the Jungle. Contrary to popular belief the video premiered on MTV's Headbangers Ball 6 months+ before it hit radio stations and even before MTV started airing the video during the day. I remember guys getting all excited about Guns N' Roses "new video" while I had seen it long before that. I gave up on them when Chinese Democracy was supposed to come out and seemingly never did. Once it did it was most definitely not worth the wait. I will always enjoy Appetite for Destruction but most likely will never return to anything else they've done.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 22:09 I first heard Guns N' Roses when I watched their video for Welcome to the Jungle. Contrary to popular belief the video premiered on MTV's Headbangers Ball 6 months+ before it hit radio stations and even before MTV started airing the video during the day. I remember guys getting all excited about Guns N' Roses "new video" while I had seen it long before that. I gave up on them when Chinese Democracy was supposed to come out and seemingly never did. Once it did it was most definitely not worth the wait. I will always enjoy Appetite for Destruction but most likely will never return to anything else they've done.
That's awesome that you got to see the classic era while it was still current!

As for Chinese Democracy, I get it. It's not for everyone, but it has its fans (like me). Everything went wrong during the recording of that album, from band mismanagement, band members leaving due to inactivity, Axl being Axl (also being surrounded by yes-men) and it took so long to come out that everyone just stopped caring, and when the album finally came out, it ended up being a dense mess of instruments and overdubs. I still like it, although I can acknowledge its flaws. These days, it's not really worth being a fan these days for a variety of reasons. Just enjoy what we got out of them.

But I will say this: after listening to the locker leaks of 2019, I like these songs a lot more. What I got out of it is basically what all the songs
on the album sounded like in 1999-2001 before they had been neutered on the final product, and as a result, they flow better, they have a more organic and aggressive sound, and there's a lot less going on in the songs. Not only that, but there was also a bunch of unreleased songs on the discs,
and it's nice to finally hear them after hearing the titles mentioned all these years.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:21 .....But I will say this: after listening to the locker leaks of 2019, I like these songs a lot more. What I got out of it is basically what all the songs on the album sounded like in 1999-2001 before they had been neutered on the final product, and as a result, they flow better, they have a more organic and aggressive sound, and there's a lot less going on in the songs. Not only that, but there was also a bunch of unreleased songs on the discs,
and it's nice to finally hear them after hearing the titles mentioned all these years.
Where did you find these "locker leaks"?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:54 Where did you find these "locker leaks"?
In order for me to tell you where I got them, I have to tell you the story of how it happened. I'll try my best to sum it up and just give you the short and dirty of it, but there's a lot to this story.

So, back in 2019 some guy bought a storage locker that apparently belonged to Tom Zutuat. It's unlikely you've heard of him, but basically he was GNR's former A&R who signed the band to Geffen Records in 1986, and worked on all their albums until his departure in 1999. Then in 2001 GNR was in the studio working on Chinese Democracy and was having difficulty completing it, so Jimmy Iovine (the chairman of their new label Interscope Records) called him to get him to come down and help get the album out. After several months of working with the band it seemed that they were making progress and seemed confident in a release some time in 2002, but after a dispute with Axl regarding his private screening for the movie Black Hawk Down he was fired.

Anyway, this locker contained 19 CDs of recordings from the band's time in the studio from 1999-2001, and the guy who bought the locker didn't really know what he had, as he was unfamiliar with that era. Apparently one of these discs turned up in an online listing, and one Guns fan who's known for being an attention-seeker found out about it and contacted the guy about buying what he had. To do this, he drove 14 hours from Mississippi to Virginia in a beat up minivan and bought the discs for $12,000. On his way back home, he began informing people in the GNR fan community about what he had by uploading images of the discs and their covers onto the internet. When he got back, he began making copies and selling/trading them to other fans, and they were in circulation among the community. This is when I found out about them.

When I first found out about these discs I was just browsing the internet on my day off. I was looking up something regarding Guns N' Roses when I stumbled upon an article about the contents of the storage locker. I took a look at it and it contained some of the pictures of the covers, which consisted of the track title, the date it was recorded, and the runtime. There were a lot of unreleased songs in these lists that I had heard about years before through articles or interviews, and a bunch that I'd never heard of. I started following this story, and this is when things got interesting.

I remember one night I had just got off work and went to get an update on all this, and I found out that clips of 2 unused songs (Atlas Shrugged and Hardschool) had leaked, and I found both on Youtube. I played these clips over and over again trying to comprehend that finally after all these years I was listening to, albeit clips of songs I'd wanted to hear for a long time. Meanwhile, demos of songs that got released on the album started leaking, as they held little value, and all of them sounded immensely better than the finished product (as stated in previous posts), and a few days later Hardschool and Atlas Shrugged leaked in their entirety. After this set of leaks I discovered that the fan who bought the CDs had turned around and sold the discs back to GNR (for $15,000, 3k more than what he paid), thus killing any hope for future leaks. But it was too late, because the bootlegs were still circulating among the fans.

A few days later, 3 more songs leaked: State Of Grace, Perhaps and As It Began. Fans were uploading the songs to Youtube and I was downloading them before they were gone in a matter of hours, which is when I began to obtain these leaks. So the leaks continued, but then, all of a sudden, entire discs began leaking. An anonymous fan who identified themselves as the Chairman began leaking entire discs with a word document included in the zip files to communicate to the fans and simultaneously taunt the "hoarders" who were trying to make money off these discs, who stated that they were there to help the fans this time instead of letting the hoarders have all the fun. During this, I began religiously following this story and checking Guns related websites for updates, and often, people were uploading temporary download links on file sharing sites, which I managed to get to before Guns or Universal could.

Within about 4-6 weeks all the discs had leaked and I had acquired at least 1 copy of each song (there were a few things I was missing, but a few emails later got me everything I was missing as well as some leaks from previous years), and after listening to them, it shows that the album was pretty much done since 2001 and that the tracklist was a little different back then. Total there were 43 different songs on the discs (only 12 of which were officially released). Unfortunately a lot of songs were just instrumentals. About 9 officially released songs and maybe 11 unreleased songs had vocals (2 of which were just rough drafts), the rest were instrumentals (which still sounded awesome).

That about sums up how I got them. Sorry if this was kind of a long read, but there's a lot to tell and it showed me a lot about the inner workings of the GNR fanbase as well as just how unhinged they are. Last I heard, the crazy fan, who was dumb enough to brag about leaking Hardschool and Atlas Shrugged, is being blamed for the whole fiasco and is being sued for damages by Guns N' Roses and Universal Music Group. But really think about this. These are the extreme lengths Guns fans had to go through to get new music (that's now 20 years old). What does that tell you about this band?