Hello! New member here

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
GoldenKey
Grunt

Hello! New member here

Post by GoldenKey »

Greetings! My handle's GoldenKey, and I've been a lurker for waaay too long :lol

I've long been a fan of the older DOS games, like Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, and Crystal Caves. It's been good to see the older style games making a retro comeback, and even better to see people having a go at modding the older games.

One game that I've felt has been lacking a decent amount of attention has been Jill Of The Jungle; it was one of the first DOS games that I ever managed to beat (not that it was really that difficult) and it stoked my imagination for years to come. You can imagine my surprise when I heard about the built-in level editor, and that led me to experimenting with the level design.

Now that Kin9_Duk3 has made an even better editor, I've spent the past few months putting together something for JotJ that I hope will please the die-hard fans of the genre. After all, it's about time I gave something back to the community after enjoying so much of your output, isn't it?

But for now, I just wanted to say hello, and thank you to the community for keeping the older games alive. And I hope you're all doing better after the cluster-bomb that was 2020! Cheers!
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Hello! New member here

Post by Nisaba »

hey there GoldenKey and welcome to the forums
out now (link) : Image
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Hey there, welcome. Unfamiliar as I may be with non-Keen games of the era, it's certainly great to see more people emerging to keep them alive. :)
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Hi, GoldenKey and welcome to the forums. It's always nice having new members here :D
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's great! Looking forward to your Jill episode! Also, you can check mine.
TheBigV
Vortininja

Post by TheBigV »

Welcome to the forums! Do you plan on making any Keen mods?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Hello and welcome to the PCKF. It's always nice to hear about people actually using some of the programs I wrote. I hope you're having some fun with your Jill project.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Welcome :)

Yeah, love those old games, good memories :) But nothing is like Keen :)
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Hello, congratulations on your promotion from lurker. :crazy

Always great to see new names around. Interesting how often people come on here to release mods of other classic games. I wonder, is this the dominant DOS game modding community?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
GoldenKey
Grunt

Post by GoldenKey »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! It's good to know that there's people who are interested in what I have to offer :birthday
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 21:40 Hello and welcome to the PCKF. It's always nice to hear about people actually using some of the programs I wrote. I hope you're having some fun with your Jill project.
Indeed! And it's a really good editor, much better than trying to use the built-in one!
Roobar wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 16:37 That's great! Looking forward to your Jill episode! Also, you can check mine.
I already have, and the other level pack posted here - both of which were really good. Those were one of the reasons why I decided to put some of my ideas into a mod - it was finding someone doing a playthrough of one of them on Youtube that brought K1n9_Duk3's editor to my attention. So, here we are.
TheBigV wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 20:32 Welcome to the forums! Do you plan on making any Keen mods?
Not sure yet! I didn't get into Keen as much as the other games, so it's not a priority... but who knows? Let's see how we go!
proYorp wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:32 Hello, congratulations on your promotion from lurker. :crazy

Always great to see new names around. Interesting how often people come on here to release mods of other classic games. I wonder, is this the dominant DOS game modding community?
It might have been because for a while, this was one of the only places you actually could share mods - I also wanted to sign up for the Classic DOS Games Forum as that had a lot of discussion about Jill modding, but it's been offline for about a year... and this was the place where most of the mods were winding up anyways, so whatev. I'll take what I can get!

...Anyway, it makes me happy to hear that you're open to more mods for a criminally-undermodded game. I've been working on my little project on and off since mid-2020, and, while it won't be complete, I'll aim to have a playable little adventure for you by the end of April. :D

Stay tuned!
Last edited by GoldenKey on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:15, edited 1 time in total.
Roger_Klotz
Vortininja

Post by Roger_Klotz »

Welcome to PCKF, GoldenKey! It is always fun to see new faces around here.
'90s Kids Unite @ the Power Rangers Forum - https://generationz.jcink.net
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Welcome to the forum!

I played a lot of Xargon as a kid but never spent a lot of time with Jill of The Jungle.
weareeletric
Grunt

Post by weareeletric »

Hello and welcome to the forum! We love helping people so if you have anything to share with us we will be more than happy to help.
GoldenKey
Grunt

Post by GoldenKey »

It's good to be back! I haven't done a lot of engagement with the forum of late, though - I have tried a couple of the mods shown here, but part from that I haven't been as keen to log back into the older-style parts of the internet of late :dopefish

I still appreciate all of the work that this community has done, though. Keeping classic games fresh and interesting is always a good idea!

Afterthought:
I'm thinking of starting a general thread based on things we learn about the Jill of the Jungle games, since I just finished making a mod of it and there's quite a bit about it that I don't think has been discussed elsewhere. If this sounds like a cool idea, which part of the site would be the best place for it?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

GoldenKey wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:31which part of the site would be the best place for it?
I'd say Miscellaneous > The Classics

A few JotJ threads are there already, which I'm glad to see you're taking part in already!

(The tangent in Bonevelous' thread about videogame footage on YT being a copyright conundrum was a blast from the past!)

Welcome to the forum, hope you return to the old internet again :old
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass