Playing through Keen on Twitch and Youtube (Recommended Mods?)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
monochameleon
Grunt

Playing through Keen on Twitch and Youtube (Recommended Mods?)

Post by monochameleon »

For those who are interested, I'm playing Commander Keen on Twitch and Youtube a bit - currently I'm working my way through Zilem's Commander Kylie mods of the original series (I'll be doing 6 next, hopefully next week) and will then move on to the Universe is Toast and then on to other mods. In the course of it I talk about the series history, and would love to chat to other Keen fans live or through the Youtube comments if you can't catch the streams (I'm in Australia, so there is obviously a bit of a time-zone issue for many). Recommendations for mods I should playthrough are hugely appreciated.

My schedule is all over the place at the moment, so I don't have a consistent streaming time, but I'm hoping to settle that down. I'll post here to let you know when I'm coming on with Commander Keen. I don't always play Keen, but pretty much stay retro and do love my DOS stuff - so far I've streamed Cosmo 1, Jill of the Jungle 1 & 2 and the original Duke Nukem, so if this sounds like something you're interested in, do please subscribe on YT and follow on Twitch and come join me playing and talking about Keen, mods, DOS and retro gaming.

My YT channel is here while the Commander Kylie playlist can be found here.

Twitch is here.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Re: Playing through Keen on Twitch and Youtube (Recommended Mods?)

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Check out Atroxian Realm, though you probably shouldn't attempt to do the whole thing in one sitting. The Ruin of Roib is good if you're feeling especially masochistic (don't be afraid to turn on God Mode if the difficulty gets too extreme). The Terror from Outer Space is a simpler, shorter mod than the previous two. Underworld Ultimate continues on The Ruin of Roib, but the base game is very unpolished and buggy, so check out K1n9_Duk3's patch for it. Kreeg Crisis is a quick joke mod to end that particular storyline. The Alphamatic continues on Atroxian Realm, but is insanely hard (someone should really update its page on the Keen Wiki to include map images for the Marooned Over Mars expansion). Operation Ocflore is a newer, well-balanced mod with good potential for a sequel.

Lastly, if you're looking to include fangames, I'd suggest The Mystery of Isis II demo for an updated experience on the Keen formula, as well as Planet Cloudius IX, which is essentially a Keen game in all but name, and plays and looks great. Hope these suggestions help!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I'd recommend that you check out this thread for some unofficial bugfixed versions of some Keen mods. The thread also contains a short list of mods that still have issues, so you'd better avoid those unless you're willing to deal with glitches and random crashes during your recording/streaming sessions.

In addition to the mods that were mentioned above, I'd recommend "Suburb Shenanigans" and "Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Version".
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

great recommendations, guys.
I would add Battle of the Brains and Galaxy Defender as well as Mink's Puzzle Pack to the list.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

In addition to what has been suggested, I recommend Short Circuit Oracle and Aliens Ate My Babysitter Again!

Do you accept Vorticon mods? There a lot of good ones! Episodes X, Null, and Dash are classics! Anything by Ceilick is worth playing, including his first ones (Invasion of the Yorps)! Lego Keen is also really good! KeenRush makes really good mods too, but most are very hard, and I don't know if you're interested in that sort of challenge. If you want a fair challenge, Yorphius II, Xky1rooms, and Sunset would be your best bets.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Don't forget The Armageddon App and Dead in the Desert
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
monochameleon
Grunt

Post by monochameleon »

Well, I plan to do The Universe is Toast trilogy after the main games, so Keys of Krodacia, Dead in the Desert and Battle of the Brains are all definitely on the schedule. I do prefer mods that are more at the same level of difficulty as the original games, so I may steer clear of the exceptionally difficult ones, though Atroxian Realm and Alphamatic both really impressed me so I will very much have them on my list. Terror from Outer Space will also be on my list as I am working through the games with Kylie mods.

I'll be doing Aliens Ate My Babysitter to round off the original series tomorrow at about 1pm Australian Eastern Standard Time. If that works for you, please come join me on twitch (link in original post). I'd love to have your company.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I recommend "Bounty Hunting Brouhaha" by Kohntarkosz_. Keen 4 mod, moderate difficulty close to that of the originals I think.

There's also a sequel in developement ("The Prisoner's Dilemma") but there hasn't been any update on that in a long while. (There is a public beta, however it is still in a rather buggy state, so I don't know if I'd recommend it for streaming just yet.)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
monochameleon
Grunt

Post by monochameleon »

Thanks for the suggestion - I have seen Bounty Hunting Brouhaha but haven't played it yet, I'll definitely check it out.

For those interested, I just did Keys of Krodacia on Twitch (see original post) and posted Aliens Ate My Babysitter to Youtube here. Hope you enjoy.