Tell us what you think!!!

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

Which added feature do you like most in Commander Genius?

More intuitive save system.
No votes
More configuration options.
6%
Multiplayer games.
50%
High Quality Packs
No votes
Difficulty selection (Needs Improvement)
No votes
Better Control Settings
No votes
New Effects (Darkness for lights, translucent menus, etc.)
22%
Other (Please Explain in the comments!)
22%

Total votes: 18

pizza2004
Vortininja

Tell us what you think!!!

Post by pizza2004 »

I'm starting to wonder what things are most important as far as new features go in Commander Genius. So I started a poll! :D

Also, the above mentioned difficulty selection needs improvement, and I desire to make it so, if anyone is willing to help, we will make the default normal difficulty, but we need to determine enemies to remove and to add for easy and hard difficulties in Keens 1-3. Also, custom difficulty support will be developed for mods, but it is advised that anyone using a mod with Commander Genius at the current time only use the normal difficulty.
Last edited by pizza2004 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:30, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I voted for multiplayer games, even if it's unlikely I'll ever get to play one with this crappy internet connection of mine.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

I voted for multiplayer games too. Playing keen online would be epic!
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, playing online would require a server I think, but we could at least add LAN play, and maybe figure out a client to client system that would allow it to work without any servers, but this would mean no list of available games to join (or at least, not easily) so I don't know.

But given this, we will definitely try to add a network option into the game.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

You wouldn't need a dedicated server for multiplayer, though it would be handy for the sake of keeping track of currently running games.

One person can just start the server on their machine, and everyone else connects via their IP address. This works for both LAN and Internet games.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, that is what I am saying, with Lan you could have a little game lobby, but with internet it would have to use ip address or something like that. I didn't realize this sort of thing would be so popular. Okay, I want you guys to start making some deathmatch levels (make it in all three original Keens, and make it as simmilar as possible between them), and don't worry about size, we won't have size limitations in CG. Also, make them with 8 players in mind.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I voted other, cause I feel I crave the most for full mod support. Seems I actually like mods more than the original episodes.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

So, then do are you happy with all the recent progress we've made?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I can't decide, I want to see all of this happening :p
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Looks like everyone's going multiplayer.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

The only issue I seemed to have was with the pogo stick. I could get it to activate but couldn't always do the high jump at the same time.

Not sure if it was just with my system not accepting multiple keyboard buttons pressed simultaneously, but I don't have trouble with original version of the game through DOS Box. Sometimes I'd have to deactivate and reactivate the pogo stick to do a high jump.

One small thing I noticed was that my normal jumps were higher than in the original, but thought it might have been based on the difficulty selected.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, we are still ironing out the physics, which are a real killer because we are trying to replicate an old game. So, I think pogo is actually the most flawed part of our current physics engine, but for now I don't know if we're going to change anything.