Running Windows 95 Games On a Modern OS

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Running Windows 95 Games On a Modern OS

Post by Soul Monster »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about running Windows 95/98 games on newer computers? This is something I've been trying to figure out for a long time
and there's some old games I'd love to revisit from that era. There's a few games I have on my computer, but most of them either don't work right, or not at all. When I say newer computers, I'm talking Windows 7 and 10 specifically.

I've been looking into this lately, and I tried a couple things, but a lot of it didn't work. I keep reading about this program called Virtual Box that can run an OS in an OS. Is there anybody on here that knows anything about virtual machines, or how to use them?

In the meantime, I'm working on getting an old burner laptop set up with Windows 98 on it, so that's something I guess.

Thanks.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Running Windows 95 Games On a Modern OS

Post by Nisaba »

A couple of guys - me included - do have some experience with virtualization tools like VirtualBox. However to get started I'd recommend to either check out VirtualBox' website which comes with a decent tutorial, or else consult youtube to get an idea how to setup a virtual machine. The knowledge is out there
out now (link) : Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nisaba wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:10 A couple of guys - me included - do have some experience with virtualization tools like VirtualBox. However to get started I'd recommend to either check out VirtualBox' website which comes with a decent tutorial, or else consult youtube to get an idea how to setup a virtual machine. The knowledge is out there
Ok cool, I'll be looking into it in my spare time.

Also, Roobar, I see your post was deleted (not sure why), but unfortunately I too use a 64 bit OS, but I found something interesting while
transferring some old files to a new computer. Somehow, by attaching the old hard drive to the USB port, I was able to play a Windows 95 game on it
without any problems. I'm not entirely sure how, but it's something for now while I research virtual machines. Hopefully that works on other games.

And like I said, I'm still working on getting an old burner laptop set up with either Windows 95 or 98.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

I’d wish there was a similar easy way to do it as with Dosbox…
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Tormentor667 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 19:58 I’d wish there was a similar easy way to do it as with Dosbox…
I hear 'ya. There's a stack of games from that era that I haven't played in years that I'd love to get back into. And you know what? You're right,
how is there not some sort of emulator for this yet?

In the meantime, all we can do is use vintage operating systems, or learn virtualization.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

So, I've been doing research on this, and I guess some people were able to create a virtual machine to run Windows 95 in Dosbox?
Is this something anyone on here has experience with or has attempted? Gonna try to do this myself.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It would be nice if Dosbox ran 95 natively. It does a great job with 3.11 which is incredibly good fun. Never tried 95. Would really love to hear how you achieve it if you do.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 22:44 It would be nice if Dosbox ran 95 natively. It does a great job with 3.11 which is incredibly good fun. Never tried 95. Would really love to hear how you achieve it if you do.
I'm still reading up on it to see if it's even possible, but if I succeed, I'll certainly be posting instructions on here for how to do it.