Announcement 1 of 2: If anyone's interested, "The Prisoner's Dilemma" version 1.0 is done!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Kohntarkosz_
Grunt

Announcement 1 of 2: If anyone's interested, "The Prisoner's Dilemma" version 1.0 is done!

Post by Kohntarkosz_ »

Hi all, I hope everyone's staying safe out there.

Sorry for not being more communicative over these last [glances at wristwatch] eighteen months, but "real life" kinda got in a way for a while (In addition to day-job stuff and various COVID-related inconveniences, Mrs. Kohntarkosz and I had a baby girl last year, and we also bought and renovated a new house.)

Anyway, enough about me. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ArdTI3 ... sp=sharing
Start the game by running CK6START.EXE. Further instructions are in readme.txt.

This is not a 'perfect' product, and I may release an update at some point, but I am in no position to provide a precise timeline for that. However I believe all of the game-breaking bugs have been fixed. This includes the following:
  • Tile issues on every level have been fixed (too many to list)
  • Sprite-clipping issues have been fixed or circumvented
  • CK6START.EXE runs faster now
  • I have given up on the "one map, two rocket paths" idea that I used in the beta. In this version, you can use the rocket while playing as Keen, but when you play as Rick, there is a teleporter in place of the rocket.
  • There has been major progress on the memory issues: in all of the testing environments I've tried, the game runs with no memory errors whatsoever as long as the "total memory available" displayed on the startup screen is greater than ~330kB. (I really need to learn to pay more attention to memory in the development phase. :D )
I have received conflicting reports about whether it's safe to include KEEN6.EXE in a package like this, so I am erring on the side of caution and leaving it out.

Thanks again for all your feedback in the development thread, and thanks for being so patient with what was, in retrospect, kind of a broken beta. This community is great.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Announcement 1 of 2: If anyone's interested, "The Prisoner's Dilemma" version 1.0 is done!

Post by Roobar »

That's awesome! Congrats on your girl!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: Announcement 1 of 2: If anyone's interested, "The Prisoner's Dilemma" version 1.0 is done!

Post by Syllypryde »

Roobar wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 16:31 That's awesome! Congrats on your girl!
Congratulations
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Ooh! This was unexpected. Sorry I was never able to finish those beta-testing videos. Hopefully you ended up finding all those bugs yourself (there were a lot that I didn't mention in the forum thread).

Kohntarkosz_ wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 15:53 In addition to day-job stuff and various COVID-related inconveniences, Mrs. Kohntarkosz and I had a baby girl last year, and we also bought and renovated a new house.
Oh, is that all? :p Ha, I figured you must have a good reason for disappearing for so long. You gotta prioritize real life sometimes. :crazy Congratulations on your baby girl! :D
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I played 6 levels so far and I liked them. In my playing I discovered some errors:

• In Cell Block Alpha all the switches don't seem to fit the rest of the foreground
  • This secret area has nothing inside
  • In Cell Block Beta there is a red gem very close to its door, so it's useless
  • Why is this tile here?
  • I think this tile does not fit here
  • This flag appears in front of the scorebox
Last edited by DarkAle on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:35, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

When I get some time I look forward to playing through this.

Also, congratulations on your new member of the family!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I played all the levels of this mod and I really liked them. My only issue was the low number of points to get. While I was playing I discovered other errors and a particularly difficult area:
  • This tile doesn't fit here
  • These tiles reveal how to get to that secret area
  • I think this area is very hard
  • You put two blue gems and zero yellow gems in the Courthouse, so this area cannot be reached
P.S. Congratulations for your daughter
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Syllypryde wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 19:28
Roobar wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 16:31 That's awesome! Congrats on your girl!
Congratulations
Congrats
out now (link) : Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Hey Kohntarkosz, I noticed Level 11 (which used to be called Tiny Town in the beta is now inaccessible on the world map. Originally it was invisible and accessible just above The Rendezvous Point. I noticed the entry text said, "Keen begins to suspect that teleporter may be broken." Was the original intention of this level was Keen goes to the teleport it doesn't work and he gets access to Tiny Town some secret way? Because the teleporter locks the game is the reason Keen no longer has to get the uniform anymore and also why [Tiny Town[/i] is no longer included in the game? I noticed when I played it with both Keen and Rick the level played fine for Keen but didn't work for Rick, so was this supposed to be a Keen only level?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Kohntarkosz_
Grunt

Post by Kohntarkosz_ »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 21:24 Hey Kohntarkosz, I noticed Level 11 (which used to be called Tiny Town in the beta is now inaccessible on the world map. Originally it was invisible and accessible just above The Rendezvous Point. I noticed the entry text said, "Keen begins to suspect that teleporter may be broken." Was the original intention of this level was Keen goes to the teleport it doesn't work and he gets access to Tiny Town some secret way? Because the teleporter locks the game is the reason Keen no longer has to get the uniform anymore and also why [Tiny Town[/i] is no longer included in the game? I noticed when I played it with both Keen and Rick the level played fine for Keen but didn't work for Rick, so was this supposed to be a Keen only level?
Huh.

That level should only be playable as Keen and should only be accessible via one of the teleporters in the uniformed-personnel-only area. I think there may have been a tile on the infoplane in one of the betas that allowed access to it, but that was a mistake. If the teleporter locks up the game then I'll get to the bottom of that. It sounds like the texts are correct.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Rick is the best original character in a Keen mod.
Most characters created for Keen mods I've seen lack much of a defined personality. And Rick has a distinct and hilarious personality. There should be more characters like him in Keen mods.