Keen 4 Least Favorite Level?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Vote for your 3 least favorite levels.

1.) Border Village
No votes
2.) Slug Village
8%
3.) The Perilous Pit
1%
4.) Cave of the Descendants
5%
5.) Chasm of Chills
16%
6.) Crystalus
14%
7.) Hillville
16%
8.) Sand Yego
5%
9.) Miragia
1%
10.) Lifewater Oasis
1%
11.) Pyramid of the Moons
7%
12.) Pyramid of Shadows
1%
13.) Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients
11%
15.) Isle of Tar
1%
16.) Isle of Fire
12%

Total votes: 76

lemm
Blorb

Re: Keen 4 Least Favorite Level?

Post by lemm »

Crystalus, because there isn't enough variation in the tiles. It's all ice.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

The Shifted One wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 Hillville has always been my least favorite.
the level has always felt boring and uninspired.

The well of wishes would be next on the list.
It's one of the most memorable but also one of the most boring; even the Dopefish can't save it.

Ilse of fire would be the last of three.

I find it interesting to see the Chasm of Chills so high as it's one of my personal favourites.
I loved the strange and obscure secrets in it, it really gave the whole level a mysterious atmosphere.
I've spend hours in it looking for secrets thinking that there might be something related to that secret pyramid in there (which, turns out there was).
My thoughts exactly! All except the Isle of Fire, I think it's alright, even though it's not one of the more memorable levels.
My third place would be the Gnosticene Ancients. Again, its saving grace is the inclusion of a fairly unique enemy* but without that, the level is... eh... "fine".

* Aside: This isn't a strike against the level itself but I think those smirking treasure-eaters should've been in at least another couple of levels. They have a GREAT design and their loot-pilfering is a rare mechanic in platformers (at least platformers of the time AFAIK).
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Toomuchsparetime wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:07 This isn't a strike against the level itself but I think those smirking treasure-eaters should've been in at least another couple of levels. They have a GREAT design and their loot-pilfering is a rare mechanic in platformers (at least platformers of the time AFAIK).
The teleporting enemies (treasure eater and Shikadi Master) both got shafted I think. I mean I guess it's reasonable that the Shikadi Masters only appear on the final map, but I always felt that, for how terrifying and threatening they could have been, the one or two on the QED weren't enough to really enough to demonstrate the full power of their quantum electric wizardry, and I always found them a bit too easy to slip past in the one or two locations that they actually teleported to. I feel they could've flourished in a more open environment like the Neutrino Burst Injector, although that level may already have too many electric things trying to kill me. But here I go talking about Keen 5 again...

Actually as an aside, does anybody know how the teleporting for the treasure eaters and Masters actually work? I've always wondered about this, and whether it's completely random or whether there's designated teleport spawns somewhere. Especially since I've only ever seen either character spawn in a handful of the same spots (and never seen a treasure eater spawn over a pit of tar for example, however hilarious that would be).
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

There was a interesting discussion about Treasure Eaters and Shikadi Masters here, which got moved to its own thread. Since a part of my initial post in there now seems out of place, I moved it here:
proYorp wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 19:54 So I went and tried it... it is possible. You have to press Down and then Jump in quick succession, like the Impossible Pogo Trick. Like, jump before Keen finishes looking down.

Absolutely blew my mind because getting stuck on pipes with Jump Cheat was such a childhood pet peeve of mine. I had even sworn to myself that I would never put any such traps in any of my mods. Though, to be honest, I doubt I would have had the coordination to pull that off at the time.
Oh wow, I just tried that out and it really is possible! I never knew you could actually do that! :O

-------------------------------

Now that I think about it, as Pandakeen said, it might be easier for me to decide on favorite Keen 5 levels. Some of those levels are really great! I have at least two figured out, I think. The least favorite one might take me some time, though. It might help that there's less options, though, the same of which could be said for Keen 6.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!