MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Re: MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

Post by Pandakeen »

Back in 2009, LGR (before he was very well known) commented on a video of Dead in the Desert uploaded by Ceilick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hscYh ... AN14AaABAg

So I guess we know he played at least some Keen mods.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

That's very interesting, Pandakeen!

Whenever I look at the map for the secret level of Keen 1, I swear there's an optical illusion at the bottom-right corner. It's the area with the red diamond-shaped formation of blocks and zigzag formations around it. It looks as if the red diamond and the surrounding gray area is slightly bulging outward! But in reality, it's not! That's weird!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Quillax wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 That's very interesting, Pandakeen!

Whenever I look at the map for the secret level of Keen 1, I swear there's an optical illusion at the bottom-right corner. It's the area with the red diamond-shaped formation of blocks and zigzag formations around it. It looks as if the red diamond and the surrounding gray area is slightly bulging outward! But in reality, it's not! That's weird!
Ooh, yeah! I see it on the full-size image! :O
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I got this videogame called Journey to the Savage Planet because it looked kinda fun, and I thought it might be a more substantial take on what The Outer Worlds was going for. Part way through, it began to occur to me just how much it perfectly captures the essense of Commander Keen and translates it into a first-person medium.

The cartoony creature designs (and even their names) are very Commander Keen, the colourful environments are that funky mixture of distinct natural biomes, ancient relics, and sci-fi that typified Keen's two shareware episodes, and the gleeful sense of humour behind the idea of being a "space hero" is there, although instead of taking cues from the radio serials, comic books, and cereal packets that Tom Hall might've encountered as a kid, it satirises media from more recent childhoods. But the vibe is still there. You spend the game beating up aliens and preparing your ship for the trip back to Earth. The focus on first-person platforming is impletented in a way that really only designers who dig 2D platformers could've gotten so right.
There are many secrets hidden throughout the world, not all of which are secret areas. And there are many things in it that don't really have any great importance to strategy but are just fun to do!

It's not a Commander Keen ripoff, though. The nameless character you play is basically a blank slate, and despite the various upgrades to jumping capability, your equipment doesn't include a pogo stick. The music isn't particularly going after Bobby Prince's styles, although it is pretty chill. The high-tech spaceship environments and robots are almost completely absent, really just there as background detail to simplify gameplay and suggest the kind of Earth you came from. JttSP is its own game. But it pulls off a lot of things that Commander Keen also pulled off well. Give it a play! (I am not being paid to say this.)
:garg
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Hey, it's TMST! Just a few days ago I was watching several of your Flash animations :D They've been one of the biggest inspirations for me to start animating in Flash.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Aw thanks Pandakeen! Are yours on Newgrounds or YT or what?
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I plan to be on both those sites in the near future, however I haven't exactly finished anything worth uploading yet :-o

EDIT: ok here's a kind of a funny short gif i made in flash a couple weeks ago
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

:mortlol :lol Nice one!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Haha, that's actually very funny, Pandakeen! :mortlol :lol And the animation isn't too bad!

And hey look, it's Toomuchsparetime, AKA King Sluggy! Nice to see you here! I've seen some of your old Keen content, and I must say that even back then you're a good artist with a keen sense of humor. Remember when you called the REAL Billy Blaze? That still gets me laughing real good! :lol :lol
XkyRauh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:18
Quillax wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 Whenever I look at the map for the secret level of Keen 1, I swear there's an optical illusion at the bottom-right corner. It's the area with the red diamond-shaped formation of blocks and zigzag formations around it. It looks as if the red diamond and the surrounding gray area is slightly bulging outward! But in reality, it's not! That's weird!
Ooh, yeah! I see it on the full-size image! :O
I was playing Keen 1 not too long ago, and I even notice it while playing that level! :O
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
CatsAreFuclingEpic
Grunt

Post by CatsAreFuclingEpic »

Hiiiii im new here :dopekeen how are y'all doing today?
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Hello there! What brings you to our little corner of the internet? :)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Welcome to PCKF! I guarantee that you'll have a fun time here!

To come think of it, are there any cat-like creatures in the Keen games? I can't recall any.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

There are cats in the first Bunny Basher mod...

Welcome, CatsAreFuclingEpic!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Remember the Keen 6 promotion release? John Carmack's cat named Mitzi was added to the bottom of the high scores.
Image miaow...
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

https://youtu.be/fFw8cqKQSrk Link Keen Trailer (GBA port of Netkeen)