Keen 1 Redrawn

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 1 Redrawn

Post by Quillax »

Wow! This looks fantastic! I'm impressed by your artistic talent, Pandakeen! That pizza looks so tasty! :drool I'd be interested in playing this. I like that you're aiming to make the skin mod compatible with levelpacks -- I really wonder how will those look. About the sky color, I'm not sure which one I like better. The gray sky is much easier on the eyes but I also like the yellow sky. Looking up photos of the Mars atmosphere gives me a wide range of colors including gray clouds.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Thanks. The pizza was probably my favorite of the items I did.

It's been over a month since the last update, so here's a little sneak peek:

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Amazing. Those are top of the range pillars. Your use of colour is excellent, you're really getting EGA to punch above its weight.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

damn! that really is an excellent job
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

You're welcome, Mr. Panda! Also...

Wow, that looks ominous! It really gives me some NES vibes for some reason. I like how the ground looks a bit orange at first glance. Just noticed that. Do you ever plan on redoing the sprites as well? I've been wondering about that.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I like it a lot!
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Quillax wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:17 Do you ever plan on redoing the sprites as well? I've been wondering about that.
Yeah, they're going to be replaced too. They're harder to make though, especially the player sprite. I might need to get some help with them.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Zilem is very talented and one of the best when it comes to tweaking sprites. Not sure if Zilem has the capacities right now but should be worth asking.
I think I could also give you a hand with those sprites. Maybe not right away, as I plan to do some BoA sprite rotations first. But never the less, leave me a note if you are interested.

Besides all that I strongly recommend to check out our KeenWiki for high quality sprites. just to name a few from the top of my head:
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

That reminds me, allstories/aintnofuntime was redrawing Keen 1 sprites a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5109 I think it was actually one of the things that inspired me to do this project. Perhaps I could base the sprites off of those (with permission).
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, I was actually thinking that aintnofuntime's sprites would fit perfectly with those tiles, even before you made that post, Pandakeen! Maybe you should send him a PM if you want to get his permission -- looks like he logged in not too long ago.
Nisaba wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:49 Besides all that I strongly recommend to check out our KeenWiki for high quality sprites. just to name a few from the top of my head:
I'm a bit surprised to see someone call my 7-year old* sprites "high quality". No offense -- I'm glad you like them and I do think he looks kind of cute. Looking back, though, I notice that he's pretty stiff, hardly has any actual movement, and overall looks like he could've been more organic and lively. I think he would look very out of place in Pandakeen's masterfully crafted tiles if you ask me.

*I made those sprites back in early 2014 for a long-abandoned mod trilogy. They were later reused -- slightly edited -- in The Morticore, which started development later in that year and was released in Keen Day 2015.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, that's good! That Pat-Pat is looking very hungry!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

omn nom nom
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Is this still being worked on or did you move on to other projects?
nothing usefull here
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

It's not actively being worked on right now, but it's not abandoned. I don't know when I'll get back to working on it, but in the meantime I might show some artwork I've already done that I haven't yet shown.