How to play mods?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Zaragendon
Meep

How to play mods?

Post by Zaragendon »

Hi! I'm new on Keen modding etc stuff. So I downloaded this one mod and tried to launch it but it don't allow me to play it. I tried to directly start it on DosBox and also the "Drag and Drop". It's just gives me this error "Illegal command: PLAY.BAT". If I understood it correct, that play.bat is the one you need to launch to play the game. Am I missing something? I am using DosBox 0.74-3. Thanks for the help in advance!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: How to play mods?

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to the PCKF!

You are right that play.bat launches the mod. While I don't know exactly what is necessary for the drag-and-drop method to work, I suspect the problem with launching from within DOSBox is the current directory. To run something in DOSBox, you first need to "mount" the folder that contains it so that it is accessible to the virtual DOS environment. You then need to set your current drive/directory to that mounted folder so DOSBox knows which folder to look in when you type commands like "play.bat". After that, you can run the game. These commands should do it (changing the first one to reflect the actual path where you extracted the mod):

Code: Select all

mount C C:\path\to\the\mod
C:
play
For example, I can run Dr.Colossus' "Marooned on Mars Galaxy" mod like so:

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Welcome to the forum, Zaragendon!

I've done the drag-and-drop method for many years and it's worked perfectly for me. I just drag the *.BAT file into the DosBox file and then DosBox starts up and plays the mod almost right away. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

I've been doing the method Fleexy mentioned lately and that works fine too. I guess try that and if that doesn't work either, then there's something really weird going on. Let us know how it goes!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Zaragendon
Meep

Post by Zaragendon »

Oh it worked. Well that was easy. Thank you for your help!