Favorite PCKF threads

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Favorite PCKF threads

Post by Pandakeen »

Remember when like half the threads in Miscellaneous were joke threads? I don't, because I wasn't on PCKF then. But sometimes when I'm bored I look at old threads. And this one gets me laughing every time: viewtopic.php?t=3155
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Favorite PCKF threads

Post by proYorp »

I love this exchange from a thread called Official pckf.com meetup!!

Commander Spleen wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:51 Everybody come crash at my place in Lakes Entrance for a few days in early January. Going to see about getting some demosceners around as well. We can play 4 player NetKeen on real DOS computers in the lounge and run an outdoor projection night at the beach. Also jumping castles.
Bernie wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2014 13:06 jumping castles?? well screw netkeen. wheres lakes entrance anyways?
lemm wrote: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 u can do both at once you know
:lol :lol :lol

Commander Spleen wrote: Fri Dec 12, 2014 13:18 Jumping castle NetKeen ftw.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It's amazing to look at the list of highest posters and to see how numerous among them reduced or stopped their engagement with the forum. There were some good times back then but also unfortunately some unpleasantness. Though there are many long-lost participants whose presence one would dearly miss, we seem to have an excellent bunch of people who have appeared in the past decade - many clearly quite young - and importantly a lot of people remain very into what this forum is all about.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Yeah. I was looking at the member list a few days ago and thinking, Levellass's post count of 5261 will probably never be surpassed, despite having pretty much left PCKF 4 years ago. VikingBoyBilly is in second place, but has over 1000 less posts and only makes like 2 posts every couple years nowadays. Roobar has 2000 less posts than Lass and is one of the more active members here, but 2000 posts would be a lot to make considering Nisaba's been like the most active member since she joined almost 6 years ago and has only made a little over 1000 posts.

I guess this doesn't factor in the Pre-2007 PCKF though... :o

But yeah this got a little bit off topic. Hey, remember the Off Topic Thread?
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

This one always gets me laughing, and I haven't been able to stop laughing about it for months:viewtopic.php?p=77852&hilit=stinky#p77852

I know it's really immature, but I can't help it just for how juvenile this whole thread is, and the fact that it ended up getting this guy banned from PCKF. Also, WHO DOES THIS?! Who creates a thread to talk about farts?! I mean, based on some other posts he's made, it sounds like this guy was in his 20's when he made this, so again, WHY?! I've told my friends about it, just to see their reactions, and they range from confused to mortified.

Also:viewtopic.php?p=26973&hilit=three+word+ ... ame#p26973

Why am I not surprised that this one devolved into a few people trolling each other? I still enjoy reading through all the ridiculous crap these guys were saying, and again, I've read excerpts to my friends and their reactions are the same as the farts thread. Seriously, what is with this guy's fixation on farts?
Last edited by Soul Monster on Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:00, edited 1 time in total.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Bloogs First Mod

Seriously, every time I read this, I couldn't stop laughing! :lol And yes, the mod is real and can be downloaded from KeenWiki. It's just as hilarious as the thread! :lol Speaking of Bloog, this page in a certain thread is legendary: viewtopic.php?p=48887&sid=f07d4f5abdc6b ... 61d#p48887 :lol

And let's not forget about CannonGuy's threads:

viewtopic.php?t=2206&sid=f07d4f5abdc6b0 ... 4c8b5b261d
viewtopic.php?t=2209&sid=f07d4f5abdc6b0 ... 4c8b5b261d

:lol :lol :lol

Also, I love that conversation proYorp posted. :lol We totally need a bouncy castle level in NetKeen! :pogo

This post Syllypryde made me laugh real good :lol : viewtopic.php?p=16052&sid=7d6505e60392d ... 461#p16052
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Bonevelous' playthrough of "TUIT: When Bloogs Attack!" with screenshots and written commentary is my favorite thread ever. :lol Do feel a bit bad about laughing at a game someone took the time to make, but the entire thread is pure gold. I truly love some of the characters in that game. :p
viewtopic.php?p=28269#p28269
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Not a PCKF thread, but this is neat:

http://keenstory.ueuo.com

I added my own entry a few minutes ago...but I'll let you find it yourself. :p

Here's the original topic: viewtopic.php?t=3029
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Aw man, this was a really great thread but the text is corrupted and the images are dead.
viewtopic.php?t=3717

This was one of the first threads that I watched "live" as it happened and it was amazing how each new post just made it so much better. Maybe it was largely the novelty of it that made it so humorous for me. :dopekeen
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Nospike wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 Bonevelous' playthrough of "TUIT: When Bloogs Attack!" with screenshots and written commentary is my favorite thread ever. :lol Do feel a bit bad about laughing at a game someone took the time to make, but the entire thread is pure gold. I truly love some of the characters in that game. :p
viewtopic.php?p=28269#p28269
Oh, I remember that one! That's pretty funny! :lol It's too bad the images are dead, though. Looks like the Wayback Machine didn't even archive them. :( I vaguely remember that amusingly monstrous title screen.
Levellass wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:44 I'm swim, swim, hungarian... :dopefish
:lol :lol :lol :dopekeen :dopefish
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Who remembers megakeen

cool game idea

the super doom fourms

ragequit

I guess he’d be 29 now, not much younger than me. Makes you think
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I TRIED TO JUOIN THE "SUPER DOOM FOURMS" BUT THEY WERE DOWN :( :( :(

Code: Select all

/ /)
--/-/
-/-/
--//'--'/`_
-/'/--/-/--/\
--('(- ~/'--')
\-'--/
-'\'_-
\--(
-\--\
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I think this might actually be my favorite series of threads...

This was an open community effort to try to convert the story of the Commander Keen series to a detailed written format, such as a novel. None of the attempts made it very far into the story (in fact none even got as far as the beginning of Marooned on Mars) but it was so much fun for me to read the different takes on it.

It all started with an idea thrown out by pizza2004, in a thread called Commander Keen Book
viewtopic.php?t=737

Arjak, being inspired by the discussion, started a new thread: Commander Keen Novelization - Arjak's version
viewtopic.php?t=760
I recommend reading the first two chapters on Arjak's wordpress, as the corruption in the thread makes it hard to read: https://arjak.wordpress.com/commander-k ... vorticons/

Lava89 had some contributions to the original thread, and ended up creating his own version entitled Commander Keen: Defender Of Earth! (lite fanfiction)
viewtopic.php?t=1474

Unfortunately these old threads are a bit corrupted... I think some special formatting got scrambled. Some pages won't even load, it seems.

These were some of the very first threads I found on PCKF, and they were what really made me start actively lurking on here when I found them in the summertime of 2016. I was quite taken with the ideas and really thinking, in vivid detail, about "what happens in a day for Billy" which is not something we see in the original games. I am fueled and driven by imagination and these really brought that out, even though they are not as polished as a novel you might buy at a bookstore. For me, it was mostly the inspiration of concepts for me to envision that really made it enjoyable. A lot of it was the novelty of the internet for me as well, I suppose, no pun intended.

Arjak's version is my favorite. I love the depth given to the characters and the detail in which they are described.

Someday eventually I want to try to write my own take on this, as a nice homage to my introduction to PCKF and because I enjoy writing. I have some ideas... :mort In fact, ages ago, before I ever saw any of these I'd partially made some sort of storyboard/comic for an (animated, ideally) interpretation of Marooned on Mars. I was already enthralled with the idea of an expanded Keen storyline, which made my discovery of these "novelization" takes (and also the unfinished Mars arc of Keencomic) so satisfying. Even though the others haven't been updated in years... I think the community book idea could use a resurrection!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Yeah, non-ASCII characters got misencoded in the forum migration a few years ago. Some of them, particularly curly single quotes, got mangled into illegal character sequences that PHP chokes on. I fix the major issues as I find them - all the threads you linked should at least be able to load now - but it will be a while before I have time to fully smooth this out, sorry. (I automated the correction of a lot of these shortly after the migration, but clearly not all problems could be fixed automatically.) In the meantime, you might also be able to recover some original text from the Internet Archive.