KeenWiki: Are graphics-only mods valid?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Re: KeenWiki: Are graphics-only mods valid?

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

It's pretty clear that enough people are interested in skin mods that we should include them, so I'm more than happy to do this. I have always said that I don't consider myself the boss of the KeenWiki, it's a community effort, so proYorp (and everyone else) you are welcome to start other forum threads about other KeenWiki rules you don't like if you think they should be changed.

I do agree that complete graphical changes can be fun, and perhaps the reason we haven't seen many of these is because those modders know about the KeenWiki's policy rather than skin mods being unpopular - that's a possibility I hadn't considered.

To be clear, when I refer to graphical mods as low effort I am referring to things like recolouring and only changing the player sprite. If the graphics are completely redone I don't consider that low effort, but until now I did wonder at the appeal. I have been assuming non-modders go to the KeenWiki to find "new" games to play and wouldn't want to replay the same thing with different sprites, but some good points have been made about a familiar game being easier to play than an unfamiliar one - a point I can certainly empathise with as someone who finds a lot of mods quite difficult.

So I think we can take it as given that we will open the KeenWiki up to graphical mods, the question is just where do we draw the line. I really want to have clear guidelines to avoid people being disappointed if their mod does not make the grade. Having a discussion/vote on the forum about whether the mod should be included is a great idea for the difficult ones, however if we can make the guidelines clear enough, hopefully it won't come to that too often.

Now that I think about it, I wonder whether we could address player skin mods (where only the main character sprite is changed) differently to other mods. proYorp said Pandakeen's Keen 1 Redrawn could be compatible with other mods if they don't change the graphics. This layering of multiple mods together is something we haven't really seen much of. I would be much more open to a larger variation of player skin mods if they weren't standalone mods, but they instead had to be loaded with another mod (or the original game) in order to work. If you could download Commander Kylie and then run it on top of any mod you wanted (including the original games) then I would be much more comfortable with the idea. It would mean we could create a new section in the KeenWiki for alternate player sprites, separate to the other mods so as not to clutter the list, and people could pick their preferred character and use it for whatever version of the games they wanted.

Along that note I wonder whether we could isolate graphics mods and level packs similarly? So you can select any player sprite, any graphics pack and any level pack and play them all together at the same time?

Part of the reason why I've been against these "partial" mods is because of the amount of unmodified game you are forced to play. But if you could combine these parts arbitrarily then the decision is up to the player. If they don't want to have to play the original levels again with your graphics pack, or see the original graphics with your new level pack, they can just load another pack at the same time. I really like this idea as it would allow us to create separate sections in the KeenWiki for level packs, graphics packs and player sprites so they wouldn't clutter the list of full mods.

Although getting back to the guidelines, here are some thoughts:
  • How many graphics should change before a mod makes it across the line? Can you replace a single sprite with a pumpkin and call it a Halloween mod? Perhaps a better question is, aside from player-only skin changes, are there any good cases where a graphical mod would *not* want to change the majority of graphics? If we said graphical mods must change at least 90% of the in-level graphics, would that mean we would exclude a mod we might want to have listed?
  • Do we exclude "simple" mods, such as those that only change the palette or recolour the graphics? This would mean CGA Keen Episode 1 would get removed (except that it has some new levels so it will stay, but I couldn't find a better example).
  • I foresee some modders who've made complete mods extracting their graphics and re-releasing it as a graphics-only mod. I was originally thinking this should be treated as one mod, however if we go down the path of mixing and matching level/graphics packs then it might make more sense to actually have it listed twice, as both a graphics-only mod and a full mod. That would make it easier for players to pull in your graphics for a new level pack they want to try out, for example.
  • Commander Kylie should be re-added based on it being popular and well known, but do we have a rule for future player-sprite-only mods? If we list player skin mods in a separate section on the KeenWiki (so they can be used with any mod) then there's no worry about them cluttering the list of full mods. However I still think we need some guidelines, like we don't include mods that only change colours (eye colour, shirt colour) with an exception made for the first few unique skin colour changes.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Well, looks like this debate got buried and then forgotten, but never resolved. Let's resurrect the discussion, shall we?

It would be really cool if someone made a program that takes the player skin mod of your choice and then integrates it into the game/mod of your choice. That might be easier said than done, though, especially if you want it to work with more than one original Keen game.

How likely is it that someone will make a low-effort skin mod just so they can get a KeenWiki article? I haven't seen anyone try to make a lot of mods or levelpacks with the least amount of effort possible, and given that we're a small community, the chance of someone making a dozen low-effort skin mods may be lower than we think. I agree, however, that we should encourage people to make their skin mods change at least most of the graphics, unless it's a player-only skin mod. I can't really decide for mods that go lower than that or only recolor graphics, though. How many people would be interested in playing a skin mod where the Gargs are replaced by Barney the Dinosaur? I imagine some people would get a kick out of that one.

Let's not forget about the suggestion Benvolio made:
Benvolio wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:21 Perhaps a non-noteworthy skin mod (likewise for other types of fan project) could get a listing in the main table but not necessarily need to be linked to its own article if there is really nothing more that needs to be said about, besides that it exists.
I'd like to see what others think. :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Has it really been a month and a half since this thread was revived after 4 months :dead

I should also mention that I think abandoned mods should generally be included. Even mods that weren't ever released could have pages if there's enough history or public information on them. They could just not be listed on the main mod lists.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, it's been almost a month since you posted! What's going on here? Have people been overlooking this topic, or are they just not interested?

In case it's the former, I'll ping those that have posted in this topic at least twice:
Pandakeen wrote:
Nisaba wrote:
DoomJedi wrote:
proYorp wrote:
Malvineous wrote:
Also, I agree that abandoned mods should be included, at least if it's playable.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Lol... I guess it is kind of ironic that I wrote several long and thorough posts for this within a couple of days and then breathed not a word on the subject in the months since then. My sudden fiery devotion to the topic of graphical mods evaporated just as quickly as it arrived. ADHD in a nutshell, I guess. Burn bright, then burn out...

Still an interesting topic and I hope it reaches a good conclusion, but lately I just really haven't had the time to put any thought into this. I would need to recollect all the thoughts I had on the subject. I did write down some notes, I think.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I don't understand why there even is a debate about this matter. It's an encyclopedia, so why go against its very purpose of documenting anything and everything Keen-related? This mission is even stated on the main page of the wiki:
KeenWiki's front page wrote:This wiki is intended to be a complete reference to the Commander Keen series of computer games, detailing everything from gameplay hints to tips for creating your own levels.
Skin mods can be just as impressive as "normal" mods. Even the laziest mods are worth a mention, if nothing else, as they form a part of the history of Keen modding and fandom.
Benvolio wrote:Perhaps a non-noteworthy skin mod (likewise for other types of fan project) could get a listing in the main table but not necessarily need to be linked to its own article if there is really nothing more that needs to be said about, besides that it exists.
Agreed.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."