Vaporware mods and fangames

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Vaporware mods and fangames

Post by Pandakeen »

Here's a list of various vaporware mods and fangames. Information on these games hasn't been updated in years but weren't officially cancelled.
If you see your mod on here or know more information about it, please post! I know a few of these people are still active on PCKF.
This post will be updated as new information is found.

Ones without any public demo/beta release
Ones with a public demo/beta release
Solved cases
Last edited by Pandakeen on Tue Apr 26, 2022 16:10, edited 2 times in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Re: Vaporware mods and fangames

Post by StupidBunny »

Pandakeen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 14:18
  • Untitled Keen 3 Mod by StupidBunny: Keen doesn't have a head. Started as a skin mod, became a full-on mod.
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2577
Oh yes this one! The actual title is "Commander Keen Episode 30 CAT III: The Hunt for Keen's Head." The story was something about Keen losing his head and having to go find it...maybe he ate a mad mushroom or something and the whole episode is his journey into insanity. I dunno I just wanted to draw trippy artwork lol

I probably haven't worked on it much since around the time this thread was posted, honestly. I haven't formally abandoned it, as such, but given its age (I think I drew the first tiles for this in 2007!) I may just bite and release what I have as a Keen 3 graphics skin. I love the idea of doing a full mod with this, maybe using the amazing and underutilized Vorticons 2.0 (as was intimated in this post from 2014, but I have so many other projects on my plate and IRL stuff to stay on top of that I don't foresee when I'd get to it again. Plus, as much as I love the artwork I've done for it I don't have much in the way of ideas or motivation to make actual levels for it right now. I guess the one-tile-Keen gimmick could lend itself to a neat levelpack if someone wants to do that in the future ;3

I remember being excited about the Banana Mod and The Second-Biggest Sandwich I Ever Saw back in the day. Who knows if the folks behind them will reemerge at some point...
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

I don't remember where it was, but a while back I believe Szemi said that Keen 11 had been abandoned.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I remember reading that "Keen 11" was abandoned too.... Tried to find some info on this but it's tricky. The search engine is largely unhelpful because Image

The latest post I can find that implies it was being worked on was from August 2015: viewtopic.php?p=76577#p76577
Couldn't find anything on it being abandoned. :confused

Actually, trying to find out what was happening with "Keen 11" was how I finally got hooked into PCKF. The arbitrary findings of the search engine brought up some really interesting (and completely unrelated lol) threads, and that led to me trying to see what came up with any interesting search terms I could think of (things like "sparky" or "yorp" or "tom hall"). Good memories... I quickly got very addicted to reading all the lore discussion and random trivia.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Keen 11 is unfortunately abandoned due to the lack of Levellass since she (!) made the core patches for the game that will now be used for my later planned Keen 5 mod(s).

Keen 10 is also abandoned like Keen 11 anyway.

And my TUIT will be a Keen 6 mod, and it will only be just a one-part special edition (like Keen 6) sequel following Keen 5 and 6, which is Keen 7: The Universe Is Toast. I'm currently working on it very hard.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I updated the main post. Thanks for posting info about the mods, StupidBunny and szemi.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I think Grandy02 would provide a lot of help here. He seems to really know that sort of stuff.
Grandy02 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 20:50
Anyway, Go Keen, Go! hasn't been touched since 2015 and I considered it abandoned long ago. Oh well, there wasn't really much done with it anyway. I like the idea of a snow-themed mod, though, so that concept may not be dead. Who knows?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Great research, Pandakeen. :)
Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:05 I think Grandy02 would provide a lot of help here. He seems to really know that sort of stuff.
Unfortunately, I can only tell the following about some of the unsolved cases:
I e-mailed Freeyorp101 and Herry Jerry a while ago, but received no responses.
When I asked Guynietoren via DeviantArt for permission to add his art to my site, he responsed, and at a later point I asked him about KRON, but he hasn't replied so far.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

Hello.
Me and my brother stopped working on episode -3 for some years because of some things that happened in our life (nothing serious).
But we're back at it again.
A new screenshot. :)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Wow looks excellent, what a nice surprise!!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

:O Cool to see you're still working on it!

I gotta update the original post soon
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Whoa! This came out of nowhere! I thought this mod had been abandoned! I didn't expect to hear from cyber zero again, but it's great to hear that this mod is going to be made after all! I knew there was a lot of potential after playing through the 2015 demo (still do from time to time), and this is now one of the mods I'm anticipating the most!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow! That looks awesome, cyber zero! Glad to see you and your brother get back into it! :D I like how the water is part of both the foreground and background. The big trees look nice and organic, although I feel like the big bumps in the horizontal branch are a bit too much.

This is definitely a nice surprise! :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

Quillax wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:02 Wow! That looks awesome, cyber zero! Glad to see you and your brother get back into it! :D I like how the water is part of both the foreground and background. The big trees look nice and organic, although I feel like the big bumps in the horizontal branch are a bit too much.

This is definitely a nice surprise! :)
You're probably right about the horizontal branch.
I learned to draw trees using the artworks from the Fighting Fantasy books when I was a kid. So they are kinda stylized.
I will probably change it a bit. Thanks for the info.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@cyber zero
I'm very happy to hear that work on the mod has resumed. And the sample material looks very promising. I'm looking forward to more updates.

Re Keen 11
the video posted related to szemigi's Keen 11 might not actually be mod related. it's more of a tech demo created by levellass to present certain mechanics possible to reach via patching. it's less a showcase of what Keen 11 might be about. Although it seems to be true that szemigi's mod was canceled abounded, I have the impression that this video is somewhat not attached correctly, if you know what I mean.

besides that, awesome research @Pandakeen!
out now (link) : Image