My Keen comic translated!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

My Keen comic translated!

Post by IceDuck347 »

Hello there guys! I've been posting on the Discord server about the last Keen comic I've made, which I'm currently translating because I wanted to share it with you! Let me put a little bit of context. Since I'm very young I've made comics featuring Keen as the main character, he was often with his friends, who were a mix of characters invented by me, characters from other videogames like Duke Nukem or Cool Spot, and even a character called Facu, from a local children comic strip. The Keen universe in these comics is a little altered, but I think you are likely to enjoy the comic, in particular this last one, as it has references to Keen lore and videogames. So well this is it, check it out.

Translating the comic does take time though, so you may expect me to post around five pages from time to time until I'm done with the 61 total pages.
I hope you like it :disguised :garg

Last edited by IceDuck347 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:01, edited 1 time in total.
Signed. IceDuck347 Have a nice day!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Re: My Keen comic translated! (Part 1)

Post by Pandakeen »

Ah, cool. There can never be too many Keen comics!
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

That's good! By the way if you have any tips for how to post them (like links instead of embedding) or whatever suggestion to make it easier just tell me
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nice! Reminds me of old comics I used to read on the web back in the day.
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Keen comic translated! (Part 2)

Post by IceDuck347 »

Here's part two! I hope you like it.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: My Keen comic translated!

Post by Roobar »

oooh! that's really cool! :O
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Wow, who knew the council page could hold his own in a fight? :D

I guess this takes place a few years after the canon series then, if Keen is 16 here. That makes sense considering the more mature language etc. I get some real sitcom vibes from that pair Junto and Jonathan. People don't seem to get along very well with each other in this alternate universe lol.

Is Coola (or "Cool"?) an original character or from a game? I'm trying to keep track of which characters are made up for the comic and which ones are from other media but I haven't played every DOS game lol.
also is duke just absolutely stoned?

So you said you're translating 61 comics right? Does that mean that this story ends at 61 and you already made them all ahead of time? (If so that's a good strategy I think. Most Keen fanfictions I've seen seem to have published every chapter/page as soon as it was done, and a lot of them ended up being left unfinished. I think if I made a comic or fanfiction I'd have it written out or at least fully planned before posting any of it.)

Are you planning to ever publish the comics in the original language? (Spanish, right?) While this is an English-based message board, I think there are a few Spanish speakers on here, and there's probably some nuance that appears best in its original form. I don't know Spanish myself, but I'm curious, what was the original meaning with the "Keen" / "Queen" pun? (I'm assuming it was originally a different word that sounded similar to "Keen.")

IceDuck347 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 17:29 That's good! By the way if you have any tips for how to post them (like links instead of embedding) or whatever suggestion to make it easier just tell me
It could be a good idea to use links instead of direct images, since the images are so big and there's so many. My laptop has a tiny screen so I actually have to download the images to read them properly lol. If you wanted to do that you'd just use a url tag in your posts instead of an img tag, like this:

Code: Select all

[url]https://imgur.com/KZDr3Qr.png[/url]
instead of

[img]https://imgur.com/KZDr3Qr.png[/img]

Or, alternatively, if you still wanted to use the embedded images, I'd recommend putting a line break between comics so it's easier to tell where the pages start and end.

[img]https://imgur.com/bTCssfV.png[/img]

[img]https://imgur.com/VVfvkJH.png[/img]
instead of

[img]https://imgur.com/bTCssfV.png[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/VVfvkJH.png[/img]

Also, since I've been saving the comics and giving them filenames, I was paying attention to the page numbers. Is the 8th comic marked as 10? And the 10th marked as 11? I was a bit confused when I ended up without a comic #8.

Anyway, I'm definitely very interested to see where this comic series goes!
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

Glad you're enjoying the comic so far! :D

Well, answering to the questions, I'll go in order to keep it organized :dopekeen

Cool and Coola are two characters whose names might sound strange in english, given that "cool" is actually a native english word, it could be confused with the adjective we all know, but he's the character from the videogame "Cool spot", which iirc was a promotional character or "pet" of the popular soda brand "7up". "Coola" is Cool's female equivalent, which is physically the same, but with two twintails. The other character that makes appearance here is Duke Nukem, just referred to as "Duke" with a slight change to its look and personality, as these comics are made by me since I'm a child, I didn't notice that duke was a guy easily in his middle 30s instead of a young kid, so now I just tweaked it to make him an older guy, but not with all the background from his own videogame universe.

The comic was already completed many months ago, and now I'm just translating it, sometimes I struggle a bit as I need to position the text boxes in such a way that it's still understandable which character is talking. When I do my comics on paper I really don't use rulers or anything so the dialogues might end up slightly tilted or in odd positions.

I could definitely post the original ones as well, the only small thing is that some of the dialogues are actually shorter or less descriptive, as I've made more space to add more text when making the translation. Also the comics are not only in spanish, but they also have argentine slang and even some random quotes that only me or my family understand, though the comic is still understandable. Another thing is that the language's a tad stronger in the original language, as I tried to make it sound less strong in the translation, let's say a word that would directly translate as "f*ck" I'd translate it as "damn". But overall there's not much that get's lost with the translation, as I try to find similar expressions, and in some cases, there are jokes that might even sound better in english, like the "queen" does have much more sense in english as "queen" does mean something. In spanish, the guy just calls him "kuin" instead of "keen", as he's supposed to be just mispronouncing the name.

PD: And regarding the page numeration, there is one page I didn't upload because it just contains a random drawing mocking a promotional banner or ad for a future comic, which was numbered #8, and the other issue is that I accidentally numbered page #9 as #10 and viceversa
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Keen comic translated! (Part 3)

Post by IceDuck347 »

Here's part 3! As always, I hope you enjoy it, and happy holidays to anyone that didn't read it on the Discord server :christmas

https://imgur.com/OVLHSAm
https://imgur.com/FVCa8xG
https://imgur.com/PRvBGtS
https://imgur.com/1r95COf
https://imgur.com/YHiw8wo
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

IceDuck347 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 18:42 Cool and Coola are two characters whose names might sound strange in english, given that "cool" is actually a native english word, it could be confused with the adjective we all know, but he's the character from the videogame "Cool spot", which iirc was a promotional character or "pet" of the popular soda brand "7up".
Ah interesting. I happened to find that game while I was trying to look up the name but I wasn't sure if it was the same character.

IceDuck347 wrote:In spanish, the guy just calls him "kuin" instead of "keen", as he's supposed to be just mispronouncing the name.
Oh lol. That's sort of funny in its own way too.

Junto wrote: This is the first time I get
inside this ship from the
main door
Haaah. :lol I must say, even if English isn't your first language, the joke is very clear. This is a good use of subtlety. (I can only imagine how he got in there besides the door. :crazy On a spaceship that's probably not ideal haha.) Knowing how to be subtle is an important skill in any art form. I think you have a knack for this!
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

Thanks! Glad you liked it, again! Btw the joke I intended on what Junto said about getting into the ship is more of a reference to past comics I've made, in which he sneaked inside with his friends and the consequences were... not favorable to keen
IceDuck347
Vortininja

My Keen comic translated! (Part 4)

Post by IceDuck347 »

proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Shikadi! :O Cool design. They look almost like crystal.

I notice you are experimenting with alternate ways to display the translated text. It's interesting to get a glimpse of the original text, though having the Spanish and English shown together at the same time looks a little cluttered to be honest. I'm gonna take a guess here, does "Gann'leć" mean "Mortimer McMire" by any chance? :D

How does it happen that only some of the speech bubbles include Spanish? Is it only if there is room for the full text in both languages that the speech bubble includes both Spanish and English?

Is there no comic #16 either? I'm a bit confused how Lindsey got into Keen's ship, was that shown?

IceDuck347 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:30 Btw the joke I intended on what Junto said about getting into the ship is more of a reference to past comics I've made, in which he sneaked inside with his friends and the consequences were... not favorable to keen
Ah. Well, even without that context, the implied history of breaking into the ship is comedic on its own. :)
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

:O Oh my God, these are totally nuts and totally amazing! Some of my favorite highlights...
  • "Who the damn are you?"
  • "I'm going to punch you so hard that you are definitely going to need your stupid god to save you!"
  • Solar Saber!
  • Cool Spot growing a body and flying into space
  • Princess Lindsey with a shotgun!!!
I can definitely tell that they are a translation because in places the English is a little awkward, but that somehow makes it even better! :D Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more :)
IceDuck347
Vortininja

Post by IceDuck347 »

Well, there's really two Cool Spot based characters, one is a female version, which differences from him because she has twintails.

I'll keep translating this don't worry, glad to hear you liked them!