Any help contacting an old member of the board?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Mercury191872
Meep

Any help contacting an old member of the board?

Post by Mercury191872 »

I would like to contact the user; Bernie about an old Doom map of his from when he went by B.P.R.D. The only contact of his I could find was a hotmail address from a website last updated in 2005. I went ahead and sent an e-mail there but I am not holding my breath for a response any time soon. This forum represents the latest online presence from him that I know about, which is why I am here asking. His profile on this board does not include any contact information and this was my last lead. If anyone has any information about how I could possibly contact him, let me know.
Thanks.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Any help contacting an old member of the board?

Post by Nisaba »

hey there Mercury191872 and welcome to the forums,

I am afraid that the chances of success for your plan might be quite low, since Bernie has been inactive for some time.
I vaguely remember that Bernie also has added an e-mail address in his two Commander Keen mods. So maybe it's worth a look in both games, hoping to find another and possibly more up to date address...

you can download 'em for some closer inspections over here:
https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Episo ... in_of_Roib
https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Episo ... _Ultimate!
just make sure to install DOSBox on you system first in order to fire up both games. If you have any questions about how to start a Keen mod, please feel free to ask

side-note: maybe @Quillax - our community detective - has an idea
Quillax wrote:
out now (link) : Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

... so I quickly gave it a go myself. And yeah, there is an email address to be found in both games. next to the hotmail address you will find a gmail as well... so, yeah... best of luck with these

(Bernie published this information 2014)
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

There's a guy who's probably him on facebook... (if you scroll down the liked pages for long enough you find Commander Keen)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Bernie is the author both of what may be my favorite set of Doom maps (Equinox) and one of my all-time favorite keen mods (The Ruin of Roib). Both can be frustrating as hell but there's no doubting he has some serious talent and vision with his work. Hope you can get in touch with him.

EDIT: His more recent Doomworld account is as Foofoo but he likewise hasn't been active since 2015, or so much as online there since 2017 it appears. Hope he's doing okay.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Hello -- "Community Detective" Quillax here. Image Hope I'm not too late.

As far as I know, Snortimer had sent Bernie an e-mail and actually got a response from him, back in 2019. Here's a post for evidence: viewtopic.php?p=89627#p89627 I assume he contacted Bernie through one of the e-mail addresses Nisaba posted, which are perhaps your best bet. If you sent him a message through one of those addresses and didn't get a response, maybe either send it again (I heard that sometimes an e-mail won't transfer properly) or try the other address. Keep in mind, however, that it may be possible that some time since Snortimer contacted Bernie, the latter retired his two e-mail addresses. Or he might've seen your message, but chose not to reply.

Hope Bernie's doing okay!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!