Commander Genius FAQ

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Commander Genius FAQ

Post by pizza2004 »

I decided to create a FAQ topic for Commander Genius.

Feel free to ask us questions and we will answer, and if your question is good enough, we will include in our FAQ in the readme.

Q: When I change to opengl-mode, the screen turns white and I can't do anything! How do I change the mode back?
A: You can either delete "cgenius.cfg" or open it in a text editor and change it manually. Just put "opengl = 0" and it should change just that setting back.
The white screen means, that your graphics card doesn't support NPOT Textures. A video card with OpenGL 2.0 or later support should not have that problem.

Q: Commander Genius is slow! Please help!
A: OpenGL may help, but you must have a graphics card that supports NPOT-Textures. (OpenGL 2.0 or later).
Try to lower the resolution, choose a lower filter, or decrease some sound settings and see if that helps.

Q: When can I play Keen 4, 5 and 6 on CG?
A: We are currently working on supporting play of Keens 4-6. Keens 4-5 should be fully functional (although they won't be perfect) by the beginning of 2011. Keen 6 will be added a few months later.

Q: Is there an IRC Channel where I can talk to the dev team?
A: Yes, it's called #CommanderGenius on irc.foonetic.net.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Re: Commander Genius FAQ

Post by DaVince »

pizza2004 wrote:I decided to create a FAQ topic for Commander Genius.

Feel free to ask us questions and we will answer, and if your question is good enough, we will include in our FAQ in the readme.

Q: When I change to opengl-mode, the screen turns white and I can't do anything! How do I change the mode back?
A: You can either delete "cgenius.cfg" or open it in a text editor and change it manually. Just put "opengl = 0" and it should change just that setting back.
The white screen means, that your graphics card doesn't support NPOT Textures. A video card with OpenGL 2.0 or later support should not have that problem.
About this, can't you detect NPOT support, switch to software mode if it was not found, and warn the user about it?
Wow look at me I'm lurking
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Q: When will you fix the GP2X-Wiz port of CKP to work on firmware 1.1 (which has been out for most of the life of the console and which most users have).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Re: Commander Genius FAQ

Post by pizza2004 »

DaVince wrote: About this, can't you detect NPOT support, switch to software mode if it was not found, and warn the user about it?
Good question, we might be able to, but I don't know how. If I could find out a way to check for OpenGL version, and just tell it to not do it for version 2.0, then I would.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

A little bit of research might help ;-) :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3046 ... power-of-2
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You should add explanation for what is Clone Keen Keen Clone etc. I don't remember, but the project at first was named CloneKeen and then renamed to Commander Genius? In this FAQ you didn't even add a link to your project!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Good point - I added the link in pizza's post, now you can click on CommanderGenius.

Yes it was called CloneKeenPlus before, and on sourceforge it still goes under that name, as you can see by the url.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, I think the next version will work a bit faster with OpenGL and now we have POT-Textures. So OpenGL 1.0 might be supported also. Stay tuned!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

What happened here? Pizza2004 had the idea of making a new Readme file this time in HTML format and collecting new FAQ here...

Let's see what we can make out of this. I might open another poll for it...
Having fun developing stuff...
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i don't come here as much as i used to, but what is the commander genius and what does it or will it do?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

hey Rorie,

Commander Genius interprets your Keen Games without the need of dosbox which means it let's you play them much smoother, with better graphics at some part and other special features the original games never had.

It's like eDuke32 but for Keen

Just check out the videos from the Site:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

gerstrong wrote:hey Rorie,

Commander Genius interprets your Keen Games without the need of dosbox which means it let's you play them much smoother, with better graphics at some part and other special features the original games never had.

It's like eDuke32 but for Keen

Just check out the videos from the Site:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
cool!. is it done yet?. is it free? where can i download it?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hey, I just gave you the link and yes it is done for Episode 1-3. The other other Episodes are in progress.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Keen 2 3 5 6

Post by Bubzrulz »

How do i add keen 2 3 5 6 to it i got them on my laptop would love to play them on my tab i tryed my adding to data file didnt work
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 2 3 5 6

Post by gerstrong »

Bubzrulz wrote:How do i add keen 2 3 5 6 to it i got them on my laptop would love to play them on my tab i tryed my adding to data file didnt work
Have you taken a look at the readme, there it is explained.

Also take a look at these howtos:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/howto/