Pole Foreground Bug explained!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Pole Foreground Bug explained!

Post by proYorp »

From https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Keen_ ... foreground

Keen appears in front of foreground
If Keen grabs onto the pole section behind green foreground tiles located in the upper leftmost corner of Regulation Control Center while jumping or pogoing, he occasionally appears in front of them.

Keen appears in front of the green foreground tiles.
Sometimes, rarely, and seemingly at random, Keen will appear visible in front of tiles that are supposed to obstruct him from view. This is a fairly well-known bug, and has been for some time. It was documented on KeenWiki in 2009 after it was brought to the attention of this forum by Deltamatic. I remember I accidentally ran into this years ago, before I'd seen the article on KeenWiki, and I've run into it recently. It is most known for occurring in this pole section in Regulation Control Center from Keen 5 (which seems to be the place where it most easily happens, and where I first observed it), but it can happen in several locations and levels, including in mods.

This was discussed in a dedicated forum thread, with many people sharing that they had witnessed the bug. As far as glitches go, it seems to occur relatively frequently. Levellass noted that "it happens when Keen's foreground property is increased by 1 (To 2) instead of being SET to 1," but no one has provided an explanation for precisely what event that actually occurs in the game will cause this glitch to happen.

Until now!

...It's the goplats. :O

Here I was, starting a casual run of Battle of the Brains (as I often do), so I could have something to hold my attention span together so I could chat with a friend. Making my way through the first level, when I pulled myself up from grabbing the ledge by the elevator area one of the moving platforms happened to be pass by me. When it did, I noticed that Keen's climbing-up animation seemed to be cut short, instantly moving him to the top of the solid ground. "Ooh!" I said, thinking, "What have we here? :evil A speedrunning technique, perhaps? :disguised "

So I spent several minutes messing around with this quirk and figuring out how to time the climbing up with the platform passing. Eventually I began to wander around the level and realized "oh, that foreground rendering glitch is happening again."

It was my friend that said "Is the platform pushing you on the Z-axis?" Excitedly I opened another DOSBox to see if I could get it to happen again. I went through the first level and once again performed the platform snapping glitch, and, sure enough, pulling up from the ledge-grab while the moving platform was nearby moved Keen in the third dimension!

I can't tell you how ecstatic I was from this discovery. :lol Next I had to find what it was that ended the glitch and returned Keen to normal. Tried a few random actions such as collecting points which had no effect. I found that, perhaps unsurprisingly, completing the ledge-grabbing animation while no platforms were in the way reset Keen's rendering.

I recorded a quick video of the discoveries in action. See for yourself!
https://youtu.be/uKawC3xdk_4

Notably the glitch does not occur if the moving platform instead bounces you off the ledge, which can happen if it is too low compared to the player (and incidentally this is why I usually avoided pulling up while a platform was nearby and so did not notice this sooner). In the scenario shown in this video this is likely because by the time the platform is far enough out of the way that it stops preventing the animation, it's too far away to collide with any of Keen's climbing frames.

Obviously the next thing to do was to intentionally cause the pole rendering error in Regulation Control Center. At first glance, there doesn't seem to be anything near the infamous pipe that can trigger the bug. But upon closer inspection I realized that there is a single moving platform near the beginning of the level, which happens to pass near a solid ledge that can be grabbed onto...

And so, may I present, a video demonstration of exactly how to create this glitched state!
https://youtu.be/J9ZQBZGpbaA

Cheats used, of course, to keep the visual explanation short, sweet, and succinct. Even without cheats, this works every time! (As long as the maneuver is timed correctly.)

Despite how this bug may seem to appear, it really has nothing to do with poles or pogoing, contrary to the leading theories in Deltamatic's thread. It is simply easy to observe the effect around this pole. Interestingly, here it is also difficult to observe the cause. The platform which will trigger the glitch barely comes within reach of the ledge, making the animation snapping that occurs when Keen climbs the ledge while the platform is nearby barely noticeable.

Think about the odds of everything that would have to occur in order to stumble upon this bug in the wild. It would require you to, first of all, perform a ledge grab at this one specific spot, and then to pull yourself up when the moving platform just so happens to be passing by. Then you'd have to survive past the segment with the Slicestars. Once you've made it up, you'd have to choose to go down this short pole shaft into this small bonus area, which is obviously a dead end with little reward. If you pass it by, you won't see the effect of the glitch because it will go away after you go through the upcoming door. If you do go down, at that point it's unlikely you remember that you bumped into the moving platform, if you even noticed in the first place. Despite this area being perhaps the easiest place to accidentally find the bug, it may also be one of the hardest to correlate to the cause.

Armed with the knowledge of the behaviour of the glitch, I set out to find every location in Keen 5 where this can occur, which is anywhere that there is a moving platform next to a solid flat terrain edge. Abiathar made this easy.

Security Center.
Image Image

Defense Tunnel Vlook.
Image Image

Regulation Control Center, of course.
Image Image

Even good old Neutrino Burst Injector has a spot.
Image Image

Korath III Base. If you miss this train of platforms you don't get a second chance.
Image Image

At this point I had only paid attention to areas near the moving platforms that run on a set 2D path and not the ones that simply move back and forth linearly. After reading a post from forum user Shilor in which they shared that they had witnessed this bug in the first level, I tested pulling up near the linear platform here (as there are no set-path platforms near solid terrain in this level) and in fact it worked.

Thus, this can bug can also be triggered in Ion Ventilation System.
Image Image

As far as I can tell, this should be all the locations where the glitch can be triggered in vanilla gameplay (without using cheats, which would allow it to be possible in more places).

A moving platform is able to trigger the glitch if it can pass within 3 tiles above a solid edge, as seen in these screenshots taken from Abiathar. Shown are Ion Ventilation System and Regulation Control Center (again, just barely within reach of the platform).

If the platform is passing up or down the side as seen in the first level in Battle of the Brains, it has to come within 2 tiles of the solid corner.

Further observations:

You may notice in these screenshots that Keen is always facing to the left while ledge-grabbing. I noticed, and wondered why this was. In most cases it is simply because that coincidentally happens to be the way the reachable ledge is facing. Initially I thought that the platforms had to be moving in a certain direction for the glitch to work (in order to not collide with Keen in a way that simply pushes him off). But I had to wonder if Keen facing left had anything to do with the glitch.

So I ran some experiments, using cheats to access an unwelcoming playground that happened to be the most convenient place to test...
https://youtu.be/boV78_1dUgw

As you can see, it seems that, strangely, the bug does not occur if Keen is facing to the right.

Before I thought to test the collision of the linearly-moving platforms, I tested if being pushed by a Little Ampton during the climbing animation would trigger the bug (in an effort to try to find what Shilor had seen). It did not in fact cause any foreground errors, though it did interrupt the climbing animation.

I tried to cause this bug in Keen 4 and 6 as well. Notably, forum user The Keen Commander alleges that the foreground bug has been seen in Keen 4, specifically in Isle of Tar, but I couldn't find any areas in Keen 4 with the combination of platforms near an edge that matched the required criteria that I know about. I wonder if there are other ways to trigger the bug or if it could be done here with extreme precision. That may be an expedition for another day.

In Keen 6 I was able to find some areas with a ledge near a goplat. I found that the platforms here will still collide with the player and cause the climbing animation to skip, but afterward there was no effect on the foreground rendering.

One final piece of trivia. When the climbing animation is cut short it usually makes a small noise of Keen hitting the floor. I can't tell why this is but I wonder if the platform pushes Keen's 2D position around slightly.

In summation!

The player will be pushed above the foreground rendering layer if a moving platform collides with the player while in the ledge climbing animation. It only works if Keen is facing to the left. Keen returns to normal rendering when completing the ledge climbing animation without being pushed by a moving platform, or after going through a door.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Re: Pole Foreground Bug explained!

Post by Pandakeen »

Nice find!

Now I can finally find my way through the secret tunnel in Ion Ventilation System leading to the secret exit :crazy
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

My best guess as to why this happens is because the goplats are interrupting the sequence of actions that control keen pulling himself up onto ledge.

https://github.com/sulix/omnispeak/blob ... en.c#L1478
First, take a look at CK_KeenHangThink, which is the behaviour function that is active when Keen is hanging on a ledge.
At line 1496, there is an if-statement that sets Keen's zLayer is set to 3 unless he is behind a foreground tile that is drawn in front of everything (like a tunnel tile). Setting the zLayer to 3 means that Keen should be drawn in front of everything, even all foreground tiles. This also happens, for example, when keen dies and he falls off the screen.

When the player directs Keen to pull himself on to the ledge, a series of four functions, in Omnispeak called CK_KeenPullThink, are run. In the fourth one, Keen's zLayer is set back to 1 (line 1529). If an actor has a zLayer of 1, that means its sprite will be drawn behind fore-foreground tiles.
https://github.com/sulix/omnispeak/blob ... en.c#L1507

My guess is that contact with a goplat is somehow interrupting this sequence so that CK_KeenPullThink4 is never reached. If you are able to make Keen pull himself up another ledge or go through a door, then code will be run that sets zLayer to 1, and all will be well again.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Very impressive reveal! While it could be assumed to be a rendering bug, I also had a feeling it wasn't; Basically something like the bug currently described as "Bounder Pole Door Glitch" for Keen 4 or "Ampton Pole Push Door Trick" for Keen 5.

lemm's explanation looks good. It's actually similar to the other bug mentioned by me, in the sense that a part of the internal object representing Keen has a stale value which isn't updated as expected.

From my own experiments, it can be reproduced in Keen 4, and also by climbing to the right, not just to the left; My guess is that in the tested Keen 5 samples, the clipping rect of Keen, the platform's clipping rect and/or the surrounding environment made this mostly limited to climbing to the left.

I initially assumed that it could be reproduced in Keen 6 as well, but as it turns out, this is specific to the last revision of Omnispeak!

To explain this, the function currently named KeenPosContact in keensource456 and CK_KeenSpecialColFunc in Omnispeak is called when a platform touches Keen in the middle of climbing.

The bug here is that the field named "priority" in keensource456, or "zLayer" in Omnispeak, isn't reset upon touching a platform in Keen 4-5. But we can see in keensource456 that, in fact, it is reset in Keen 6. Right now, Omnispeak differs a bit in behaviors here.

Examples from Keen 4:
- Level 14, climbing to the left below the very first moving platform that you encounter.
- Level 14, climbing to the right below the very last platform before reaching the janitor. Note that outside of using a cheat code, the only options are probably to grab the ledge again or kill Keen.
- If you don't mind disabling clipping, this can also be reproduced in levels 8-10 below platforms that touch floors, like the very first one in level 9. Simply no-clip into the floor, then immediately move left or right to "grab" the floor, and finally start climbing while a platform is nearby.
Last edited by NY00123 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Post by Multimania »

Wow, nice catch! lemm and NY00123's analyses make sense to me: this is really a bug where the priority/zLayer isn't properly being reset when ledge-grabbing is interrupted.

And, yes, it seems to have been fixed in Keen 6, interestingly enough, which Omnispeak hadn't taken into account.

I've updated Omnispeak to fix this in Keen 6 (and add a new "ck_fixPlatformZLayer" config option which can be used to either fix it in Keen 4 and 5, or break it again in Keen 6.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ah, I was hoping it would have been in keen 6 as well. Does that make keen6 the superior keen?
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

This is very cool! Levellass had already provided an explanation for the bug, at least in The Alphamatic thread:
Levellass wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 This still happens, regularly enough for me to bump into it repeatedly on a palythrough: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiw1eqbw0cts9 ... 9.png?dl=0 I do believe I explained how it arises. (Via the platform pushing Keen when he's pulling himself up from a ledge.) Also this tile should be more blocking: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiw1eqbw0cts9 ... 9.png?dl=0
Levellass wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 Did I not JUST post this? It happens when a moving Platform interrupts Keen's pulling himself up from a ledge sequence. During the sequence his foreground is set to 3, appearing in front of all tiles. At the end it returns to 1, but if the platform interrupts this, sending Keen straight to standing, this is skipped.

I have noted where this occurs in the mod and DID send notes earlier during testing. In fact it seems none of my notes were read.
However, proYorp, your explanation is far more detailed! It's really neat seeing all the possible levels where you can make the glitch occur! And from what it sounds like, it can be performed in Keen 4 as well! It's funny that despite all the glitches Keen 6 has, it doesn't have the foreground bug! What was going on in id Software?

What's different in the Keen 6 code compared to the 4/5 code? Is it just the order of functions?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Multimania wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:53 Wow, nice catch! lemm and NY00123's analyses make sense to me: this is really a bug where the priority/zLayer isn't properly being reset when ledge-grabbing is interrupted.

And, yes, it seems to have been fixed in Keen 6, interestingly enough, which Omnispeak hadn't taken into account.

I've updated Omnispeak to fix this in Keen 6 (and add a new "ck_fixPlatformZLayer" config option which can be used to either fix it in Keen 4 and 5, or break it again in Keen 6.
Nice, thanks for updating Omnispeak accordingly. I see that you've further updated it, based on other differences previously present between keensource456's KeenPosContact and Omnispeak's CK_KeenSpecialColFunc.
Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 This is very cool! Levellass had already provided an explanation for the bug, at least in The Alphamatic thread:
Well, now it's interesting to see the root cause was already found in 2017!

Here are links to the posts of Levellass quoted by you:
viewtopic.php?p=84976#p84976
viewtopic.php?p=84991#p84991

One thing I forgot to mention, is that from what I recall, I recently stumbled upon the bug while playing markeen as well. Still didn't link it to platforms, but the timing was interesting.
What's different in the Keen 6 code compared to the 4/5 code? Is it just the order of functions?
Quoting the function as currently present in keensource456 will hopefully tell all that's required:

Code: Select all

void KeenPosContact(objtype *ob, objtype *hit)
{
	switch (hit->obclass)
	{
#if defined KEEN4
	case platformobj:
		// BUG: priority is not reset here
		ob->needtoclip = cl_midclip;
		ChangeState(ob, &s_keenjump3);
		jumptime = ob->xspeed = ob->yspeed = 0;
		ClipToSpriteTop(ob, hit);
		break;
	case madmushroomobj:
	case arachnutobj:
	case berkeloidobj:
		KillKeen();
		break;
	case bounderobj:
		ob->priority = 1;
		ClipToSprite(ob, hit, false);
		break;
#elif defined KEEN5
	case platformobj:
		// BUG: priority is not reset here
		ClipToSpriteTop(ob, hit);
		break;
	case amptonobj:
	case scottieobj:
		ob->priority = 1;
		break;
#elif defined KEEN6
	case platformobj:
	case gikobj:
	case flectobj:
	case bloogletobj:
		ob->priority = 1;
		ClipToSpriteTop(ob, hit);	// BUG: allows Keen to stand on Blooglets and Flects
		break;
#endif
	}
}
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks, it's pretty cool seeing the code! I guess that when Tom Hall and crew were testing the games, they noticed that some creatures (e.g. Bounders, Little Amptons, etc.) can push off Keen while he's getting onto a ledge. I know that happened to me so many times! Of course, they would make sure the priority is reset in that case since Keen's climbing animation didn't finish to do so. Apparently they didn't know that he could also be interrupted by goplats in the same way. Then in Keen 6, they just group the platform collision with a few other creature collisions since they roughly serve the same purpose and sharing the code doesn't cause any harm. Or so they thought -- I didn't know Keen could ride on a Flect. I wonder if that's possible to do in the game.

EDIT: I've been experimenting with the pole foreground bug, and yes, you can indeed trigger the bug by climbing to the right. Here are a few places where you can do it:

-Gravitational Damping Hub: Laser cannon chamber with two pink platforms. Climb onto the ridge that is just to the right of that little obstacle course.
-Korath III Base: Second-top room in red tower with multiple horizontally-moving goplats and tiny platforms each holding a fire helix. One platform (I think it's the lowest one) should be close enough to a goplat for you to activate the bug. (BONUS SPOT: Climb left onto the edge of the yellow tower opening (to the room with the green gem) when the goplat train comes by.)
-Isle of Tar: Left-facing edge by the vertical shaft (that contains a goplat) that is connected to the room where you get the yellow gem. It's located around the center of the level.

Yet, I can't trigger the bug in Ion Ventilation System in the same spot proYorp showed -- it only works when climbing to the left. I took a quick look at the hitboxes, and they seem identical for both the left-facing and right-facing sprites. Despite that, however, it seems as if the platform must be closer to Keen when he climbs to the right than when he climbs to the left. Anyone know what's going on here?

Also, when is KeenPosContact called? Is it when Keen makes contact while either climbing onto an edge or holding onto a pole? I noticed that after I triggered the "pole foreground" bug in Korath III Base, the bug went away when I touched a Korath while climbing a pole.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

All these years I've encountered that glitch I thought it was just something that happened randomly. Nice find, proYorp, it's cool that you solved the mystery after all these years.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Thanks for the technical explanations lemm and NY00123! It's cool that you were able to find this in the code and explain it.

And wow, that's cool that you were able to use this to update Omnispeak! I guess my detailed analysis here is basically a glorified bug report haha.

I wonder what the reason is to set Keen's zLayer to 3 in the first place since he obviously isn't meant to appear above everything.

Pandakeen wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:20 Now I can finally find my way through the secret tunnel in Ion Ventilation System leading to the secret exit :crazy
I wish, but unfortunately you have to do a ledgegrab to get in there so it resets.

Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 This is very cool! Levellass had already provided an explanation for the bug, at least in The Alphamatic thread:
Levellass wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 This still happens, regularly enough for me to bump into it repeatedly on a palythrough: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiw1eqbw0cts9 ... 9.png?dl=0 I do believe I explained how it arises. (Via the platform pushing Keen when he's pulling himself up from a ledge.) Also this tile should be more blocking: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tiw1eqbw0cts9 ... 9.png?dl=0
Levellass wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 Did I not JUST post this? It happens when a moving Platform interrupts Keen's pulling himself up from a ledge sequence. During the sequence his foreground is set to 3, appearing in front of all tiles. At the end it returns to 1, but if the platform interrupts this, sending Keen straight to standing, this is skipped.

I have noted where this occurs in the mod and DID send notes earlier during testing. In fact it seems none of my notes were read.
Oh! That's what I get for relying on the limited forum search engine... I thought surely someone must have mentioned this bug after the original thread in 2009 but that's the only thing that came up, and I couldn't think of any search terms that might bring anything else up.

Levellass if you see this I am so sorry I accidentally ignored your posts again. :dopekeen

To be fair, it wasn't entirely my own discovery anyway since my friend helped me realize the connection to the goplat. I was mostly stoked to be able to document it. Ha, first thing I did when we found this was yell "I AM GONNA WRITE AN ENTIRE DOCUMENTARY!" (...Several times. :lol )

I guess another thing was that I assumed if the cause of the bug had already been discovered, the proper explanation would have been added to KeenWiki. To avoid any future confusion and just because this should really be documented, I finally made myself a KeenWiki account (and have discovered that usernames there are not allowed to begin with a lowercase letter lol) and updated the description of the bug to accurately describe the cause: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Keen_ ... foreground

Quillax wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:11 I've been experimenting with the pole foreground bug, and yes, you can indeed trigger the bug by climbing to the right. Here are a few places where you can do it:

-Gravitational Damping Hub: Laser cannon chamber with two pink platforms. Climb onto the ridge that is just to the right of that little obstacle course.
-Korath III Base: Second-top room in red tower with multiple horizontally-moving goplats and tiny platforms each holding a fire helix. One platform (I think it's the lowest one) should be close enough to a goplat for you to activate the bug. (BONUS SPOT: Climb left onto the edge of the yellow tower opening (to the room with the green gem) when the goplat train comes by.)
-Isle of Tar: Left-facing edge by the vertical shaft (that contains a goplat) that is connected to the room where you get the yellow gem. It's located around the center of the level.

Yet, I can't trigger the bug in Ion Ventilation System in the same spot proYorp showed -- it only works when climbing to the left. I took a quick look at the hitboxes, and they seem identical for both the left-facing and right-facing sprites. Despite that, however, it seems as if the platform must be closer to Keen when he climbs to the right than when he climbs to the left. Anyone know what's going on here?
Hmm, I was in fact able to do this in the spot you mentioned in Gravitational Damping Hub. Very strange, I wonder why I wasn't able to do that in my tests with climbing both left and right with noclip. I got just as close to the goplat in both directions.

I was able to recreate this bug in Keen 4/Miragia following NY00123's noclipping instructions. Still surprising that this isn't in Keen 6 AKA "Aliens Ate My Collision Code" lol. Seems to be much easier to trigger it while facing right in Keen 4 for some reason, at least in the place I tested at the start of Miragia. I wonder why the inconsistency happens in Keen 5.

Quillax wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:11 I didn't know Keen could ride on a Flect. I wonder if that's possible to do in the game.
Well, I know you can ride a Blooglet (if you have a pole nearby to mount it)!
https://youtu.be/fQMA7CMAcEA

This is also not documented on KeenWiki. :O Might have to write more about this one sometime.
This is the only area in Keen 6 that you can do this trick. I don't know if there are any poles of adequate construction near any Flects to do this but I'm guessing it would work the same.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

proYorp wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:06 I wonder what the reason is to set Keen's zLayer to 3 in the first place since he obviously isn't meant to appear above everything.
Good question! All this time, I was thinking that maybe to have Keen displayed normally would look weird if he climbs up on a ledge, especially when he climbs right. Like, perhaps a part of his sprite gets cut off by the foreground tiles? It would be interesting to patch Keen's zLayer to normal even when climbing a ledge and see if there are any consequences.
proYorp wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:06 Well, I know you can ride a Blooglet (if you have a pole nearby to mount it)!
https://youtu.be/fQMA7CMAcEA

This is also not documented on KeenWiki. :O Might have to write more about this one sometime.
This is the only area in Keen 6 that you can do this trick. I don't know if there are any poles of adequate construction near any Flects to do this but I'm guessing it would work the same.
Oh yeah, Blooglet surfing! I was able to do that one time, not in Bloogbase Recreational District, but in Blooglab Space Station. I did it right next to the exit. I didn't know it could be done in BRD, though. I heard that technique is one of Xky Rauh's favorite parts of the game. :) Certainly another way to hide a secret in "Aliens Ate My Collision Code", if one dares to do so. :crazy
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Quillax wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:38 Oh yeah, Blooglet surfing! I was able to do that one time, not in Bloogbase Recreational District, but in Blooglab Space Station. I did it right next to the exit.
Ah, I guess I missed that place when I was skimming the levels to look for Blooglets near poles. My bad.

With all the unique bugs featured in Keen 6 I almost want to make a levelpack centered around them. Ride the Blooglet across the slime to win. :crazy Could even name the mod "Aliens Ate My Collision Code!" (I wonder if this bug has any connection to the floating-over-Blooglet bug that Benvolio found? viewtopic.php?t=11957)

I also want to give proper credit for where I got that nickname, since I've referenced it a few times. It was from a speedrun marathon where this guy played all the Keen games in order and gave nicknames to all the episodes. His nickname for Keen 6 made me laugh so darn hard and it's lived in my brain ever since. It just fits so well! :lol
YouTube link / Invidious alt
(I still use the Invidious player all the time because it just runs so much better on my little laptop. :D I've gotten a lot of good use out of it, so thanks again for sharing that Quillax!)
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

proYorp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:43 With all the unique bugs featured in Keen 6 I almost want to make a levelpack centered around them. Ride the Blooglet across the slime to win. :crazy Could even name the mod "Aliens Ate My Collision Code!" (I wonder if this bug has any connection to the floating-over-Blooglet bug that Benvolio found? viewtopic.php?t=11957)
That sounds like a cool idea! I think that idea has been suggested a few times in the past; it was probably even proposed for a community levelpack if I remember correctly. It'd be neat to such a levelpack become a reality, though!
proYorp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:43 I also want to give proper credit for where I got that nickname, since I've referenced it a few times. It was from a speedrun marathon where this guy played all the Keen games in order and gave nicknames to all the episodes. His nickname for Keen 6 made me laugh so darn hard and it's lived in my brain ever since. It just fits so well! :lol
YouTube link / Invidious alt
(I still use the Invidious player all the time because it just runs so much better on my little laptop. :D I've gotten a lot of good use out of it, so thanks again for sharing that Quillax!)
Ah, so that's where the nickname came from! I should've figured that CapnClever came up with the nickname, considering his username! I also like "The Earth Does Nothing"! :lol (Also, glad to know that the Invidious player has been very helpful for you!)