Keen Awards 2021: Nominations

See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Keen Awards 2021: Nominations

Post by Grandy02 »

Nominate the Keen creations and people of 2021 that were really keen in your opinion. It works the same way as the previous nominations.

Just edit your post if you want to expand your list of nominees, I'll check the existing posts in this thread from time to time and update the list below if there are differences.

Regarding trophies, this time it's likely that the winners will receive them not long after the announcement of the final results. :)
(The 2020 trophies were posted a day before the start of these nominations.)

Update: The nominations are over. A list of the polls can be found here.

1: Programming

1.1: Best Vorticon Mod (incl. level packs) 1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod (ditto) 1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod 1.4: Best Vorticon Level (from any 2021 Vorticon mod or level pack) 1.5: Best Galaxy/Dreams Level (from any 2021 Galaxy/Dreams mod or level pack) 1.6: Best Fangame/Other Mod Level (from any 2021 fangame or other mod) 1.7: Best Tool 2: Fan Art

2.1: Best Graphical Artwork (e.g. an individual piece of art or a series of comics) 2.2: Best Narrative (fanfic, story of a fangame/mod/comic etc.) 2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work) 2.4: Best Animation

2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.)

2.6: Best Gameplay Video (speedruns, playthroughs etc.) 3: Web

3.1: Best Website 3.2: Best Online Entertainment (e.g. games with online support and browser games)

3.3: Online Community Service Recognition (for the hard-working admins, moderators and website owners)
  • Fleexy
  • Grandy02
  • Pandakeen
  • Mort
4: Miscellaneous

4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
  • K1n9_Duk3
  • proYorp
  • Soul Monster
  • Ceilick
  • Quillax
  • Benvolio
  • Nowhere Girl
4.2: Really Keen Stuff (something great that came out of the blue) 4.3: Most Promising Project
Last edited by Grandy02 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 19:28, edited 16 times in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Awards 2021: Nominations

Post by Quillax »

Aw yes, this is gonna be fun! My nominations:

1.1: Best Vorticon Mod 1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod 1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod 1.5: Best Tool 2.1: Best Graphical Artwork 2.2: Best Narrative 2.3: Best Music 2.6: Best Gameplay Video 3.1: Best Website 3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
  • Fleexy (for upgrading PCKF's server and fixing some mistakes)
  • Grandy02 (for PCKF Archive)
  • Pandakeen (for Plerb Tech)
  • K1n9_Duk3 (for recreating the sources of Keens 4-6! Wow!)
  • proYorp (started the Keen 4/5 Favorite/Least Favorite polls and made some interesting posts)
  • Soul Monster (active newcomer who already made a lot of interesting posts and is very supportive of others)
4.2: Really Keen Stuff 4.3: Most Promising Project
Last edited by Quillax on Mon Feb 07, 2022 22:36, edited 4 times in total.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Okay, let's start!

1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod
Return to the Shadowlands by Ceilick
The Alphamatic Version 2 by Gridlock

1.4: Best Level
Frigid Fortress from Return to the Shadowlands
Space Port Tehlah from The Alphamatic

2.3: Best Music
Hide & Seek from The Armageddon App OST by 55Aavenue
Wishing Well from Short Circuit Oracle OST by 55Aavenue

Ceilick: After a lot of time, this great modder has returned to the comunity with his levelpack.

4.2: Really Keen Stuff
Short Circuit Oracle & The Armageddon App OST by 55Aavenue

4.3: Most Promising Project
Foray in the Forest by Nisaba
Operation Station Infiltration by Ceilick

This post will be updated
Last edited by DarkAle on Sat Feb 12, 2022 20:31, edited 5 times in total.
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
TheBigV
Vortininja

Post by TheBigV »

I'd like to make a suggestion. I think Best Level should be split up into Best Vorticons Level, Best Galaxy Level and Best Fangame Level because I don't think Vorticons levels stand a fair chance against Galaxy levels due to the latter being more advanced. This could allow the best Vorticons levels to get more recognition.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I need to make a Commander Keen animation so I can get in that category next year :D

Stuff that hasn't already been nominated, at the top of my head:

The Prisoner's Dilemma by Kohntarkosz_

4.2: Really Keen Stuff
Recreated Keen 4-6 Source Code by K1n9_Duk3
Revival of Commander Keen: the comic strip by Mort

Send in the Clorts by Kohntarkosz_

Edit: I don't have any more ideas for nominations so that's it I guess
Last edited by Pandakeen on Sat Feb 26, 2022 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks for the contributions so far.
Nominations will end on February 27. Then two weeks will be left for the voting until Keen Day.
TheBigV wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 14:23 I'd like to make a suggestion. I think Best Level should be split up into Best Vorticons Level, Best Galaxy Level and Best Fangame Level because I don't think Vorticons levels stand a fair chance against Galaxy levels due to the latter being more advanced. This could allow the best Vorticons levels to get more recognition.
While I'm not so keen on increasing the number of categories since there are already quite a few, I changed this one, thanks for the suggestion. :) Of course, the additional categories also need nominees now.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Awards 2021: Nominations (end on Feb 27)

Post by Benvolio »

Vorticons levels are more advanced... it is Galaxy levels that don't stand a chance!

Hmm in all seriousness let me throw in a handful of nominations - I gather from looking at last year's one that it's okay to name ones that have already been named.

2.6 Keen 5 - 3D remake thing (Work in progress) - Jobbed Games
3.1 KeenWiki by Malvineous
4.2 Fanart section (PCKF Archive) by Grandy02
4.3 Foray in the Forest by Nisaba
4.3 "Send In the Clorts" by Kohntarkosz_
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

-Return To The Shadowlands by Ceilick
-The Prisoner's Dilemma by Kohntarkosz_
-The Alphamatic Ver. 2 by Gridlock

1.5: Best Galaxy/Dreams Level

-Bounder Town from Return to the Shadowlands
-The Ruins of Sand Yego from Return to the Shadowlands
-Lost Longhouse from Return to the Shadowlands
-Dunesville from Return to the Shadowlands

2.3 Best Music

-The Outskirts of a Good Time by XkyRauh

3.1 Best Website

-KeenWiki by Malvineous

4.1: Kennest Person of the Year

-proYorp: Has sparked some interesting conversations through his favorite/least favorite levels polls, and has given me an opportunity to be a part of a new project (can't go into details yet).

-Foray in the Forest by Nisaba
-Operation Station Infiltration by Ceilick
-Send in the Clorts by Kohntarkosz_
-Episode -3 by cyber zero

I'll update this post as I come up with more nominations.
Last edited by Soul Monster on Mon Feb 28, 2022 22:01, edited 4 times in total.
TheBigV
Vortininja

Post by TheBigV »

1.4: Best Vorticons Level
- The first level from Mura (I haven't actually played the mod, but I think it might be worth nominating based on what I saw other people say)

Does anyone think the deadline should be pushed back a bit?
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Since I just released Secret of the Sorcerer, it should be removed from the category "Most Promising Project", don't you think?
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Whoo, thanks for organizing this again Grandy02! Wow this went quickly, just about everything I was thinking of listing was picked very early on. Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to list some of my redundant entries. I guess you'll have some idea of what I plan to vote for. I'll mark my new nominations with a red star (*).

I admit I have not even had a chance to play most of the new releases this last year... I guess the ones that earned my nomination are the ones that managed to grab my attention one way or another. :crazy

1.1 Best Vorticons Mod
  • Botafloria Is Out of Flowers by Nospike
  • Commander Keen in Venture to Vorti Peaks by Excuses
  • Commander Cool in Where's My Bears by TheBigV

1.2 Best Galaxy Mod
  • The Prisoner's Dilemma by Kohntarkosz_

1.4 Best Vorticons Level
  • Green Land from Commander Cool in Where's My Bears? *

1.5 Best Galaxy Level
I haven't played the full release of Kohntarkosz_'s The Prisoner's Dilemma this year but I remember from the beta a few years back there were several unique, inventive, and memorable levels. Many of them are nomination-worthy, I'd say, and this comparatively long list I've come up with is after shortening it down by half!
(Also warping through the levels just now to find their names I ran into Tiny Town which I'd never seen before. I'm guessing that's the secret level I was never able to access in the unstable beta. I just need to say that is a really fun concept. :eek )
  • A-Danac Express from The Prisoner's Dilemma *
  • Tiny Town from The Prisoner's Dilemma *
  • West Tundra Town from The Prisoner's Dilemma *
Honorable mentions include Cell Block Alpha (which evidently already won an award in 2019 for the beta version), Checkpoint Zero, and A Cliff.

2.1 Best Graphical Artwork
  • Keen 1 Redrawn by Pandakeen

2.6 Best Gameplay Video
3.1 Best Website I know PCKF Archive has already been nominated for this category, but to me this feels like a separate website, despite sharing a domain. It's a different sort of content, I suppose. Thoughts on whether it should be listed separately?

4.1 Keenest Person of the Year
This is probably the category I've most kept an eye on for nominees during this last year, since most of my Keen activity has been the online forums. Maybe next year there could be a "best forum threads" category, possibly replacing one of the older ones that don't get many nominations these days.
  • Quillax for (very) actively engaging in discussions, offering help, and sharing a lot of cool and useful little websites that I never would have heard about otherwise. His enthusiasm and energy really livens up the place. It's quite entertaining to wake up to a veritable deluge of 15 new posts (though it can be a bit overwhelming to keep up with if I'm expected to respond to any of those messages, heh). *
  • Soul Monster for being an encouraging, honest, and overall positive voice. Aside from being a chill guy with some cool stories to tell, he has been willing to offer help to others asking for assistance, even while being a new member himself. He has also provided plenty of encouragement and support, while also offering honest opinion and criticism. It feels genuine. I appreciate that and I think S.M. is a nice guy to have around! (Also I am an absolute sucker for compliments and he's good at that so that may have something to do with it lol.)
  • Benvolio for being a mainstay of forum life. It seems as though he has been posting consistently on a semi-active basis for what seems like forever, yet somehow I never really noticed until this last year. (Maybe he became more active in subforums outside The Theater.) I'll make a guess that a large part of the reason that the Keen Community has survived for such a surprisingly long time is because of the loyalty of a handful of longtime members. I want to thank Benvolio for his contribution to this -- and for being a pleasant presence to top it off! *
  • Lastly I want to give some recognition to Nowhere Girl for being a casual player and telling us all about it. As a modder, examples of where new players may struggle and get lost is very useful information to have. *

Quillax wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 21:59 proYorp (started the Keen 4/5 Favorite/Least Favorite polls and made some interesting posts)
Soul Monster wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:28 -Proyorp: Has sparked some interesting conversations through his favorite/least favorite levels polls, and has given me an opportunity to be a part of a new project (can't go into details yet).
Thank you to both of you for the nominations. :) That means a lot to me. I'm always thinking about this community and it's very reassuring to know that my contributions are appreciated. c:

I really need to reply to the level polls and get that moving onward, but I'm being rather stingy with my posts at the moment. Got something planned. :disguised

I am quite tempted to nominate Keen -3 for Category 4.3: Most Promising Project but I am uncertain if that can count since it's only just now been given a status update for the first time in several years. (As I understood it, the rules for nomination in this category were that the project had to receive an update during the year in question. Is that accurate?)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod
  • Captain Rixot ported web version of the game from js to downloadable c, including additional fixes and tweaks, by jlv
1.5: Best Galaxy/Dreams Level (from any 2021 Galaxy/Dreams mod or level pack) 1.6: Best Fangame/Other Mod Level (from any 2021 fangame or other mod) 2.1: Best Graphical Artwork (e.g. an individual piece of art or a series of comics) 2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work)
  • XkyRauh contributed a huge amount of music tracks for multiple mods like for instance Ceilicks Return To The Shadowlands . Reference: discord -> veggie-music thread
2.4: Best Animation
  • Keen Awards trophies by Lava89
2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.)
  • recently posted Keen song lyrics A & B written by DoomJedi in the 90s
3.1: Best Website
  • Grandy02's fanart archive
Last edited by Nisaba on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Oh wait I just remembered one

2.3: Best Music

Cul-de-Slack by XkyRauh from Return to the Shadowlands
Last edited by Pandakeen on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Pandakeen wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:31 The song that plays in e.g. Glacier Gate in Return to the Shadowlands (does anyone know what the track is called?)
That's Cul-de-Slack by XkyRauh
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

TheBigV wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 17:29 Does anyone think the deadline should be pushed back a bit?
I was not able to create the polls today (and have not yet updated the first post), so there is some more time left. But I'll have to make the polls tomorrow.
DarkAle wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 17:58 Since I just released Secret of the Sorcerer, it should be removed from the category "Most Promising Project", don't you think?
Okay, with the next update.
proYorp wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 20:16 I know PCKF Archive has already been nominated for this category, but to me this feels like a separate website, despite sharing a domain. It's a different sort of content, I suppose. Thoughts on whether it should be listed separately?
It really is a section of the same website, and some more sections will follow for things not covered by KeenWiki (including stuff from decaying Beyond the Pogo).
proYorp wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 20:16 I am quite tempted to nominate Keen -3 for Category 4.3: Most Promising Project but I am uncertain if that can count since it's only just now been given a status update for the first time in several years. (As I understood it, the rules for nomination in this category were that the project had to receive an update during the year in question. Is that accurate?)
A good question, but as it has been a promising project since 2012 and we know it's still an active promising project (albeit the news only came in early 2022), I think it's okay.
Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work)
  • XkyRauh contributed a huge amount of music tracks for multiple mods like for instance Ceilicks Return To The Shadowlands . Reference: discord -> veggie-music thread
Any particular piece you would like to nominate? Either way, direct links for specific songs would be useful...
Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 2.4: Best Animation
  • Keen Awards trophies by Lava89
His latest trophies were only finished and posted this February.
Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.)
  • recently posted Keen song lyrics A & B written by DoomJedi in the 90s
I fear I can't count that because the song was already posted in 2010.

I've got something (or someone, rather) to add:

3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
- Mort: For maintaining the website of his comic strip and for the communication with his readers.