Commander Keen in r/place

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Commander Keen in r/place

Post by c64cosmin »

Hello everyone, since I cannot post in the reddit thread on r/commanderkeen thought I should inform everyone that we have our favourite Commander in the new canvas on r/place
https://www.reddit.com/r/place/?cx=1471&cy=96&px=34

If anyone wants to defend and keep an eye to the creation so it makes into the final piece would be awesome.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Re: Commander Keen in r/place

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm trying to get a yorp in around 1163,378 if anyone wants to help. It's a pretty stable location but I won't be able to stay up to keep it going tonight.

c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

I will try to do my best,
do you have a sketch we can follow?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I've been following the standing sprite in the bottom right of this image. I think it's reversed lighting from the game. The greens seemed to line up more cleanly with the lattice using that one when I started.

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Blah. I was trying to line the feet up with that solid green line at the bottom but made the actual legs a pixel too high. I'm definitely too tired for this right now and now white dots are invading.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Interesting...
With a small community like us vs. the overall scale of this entire project, in order to compete we'd have to make something small enough to easily defend.
Probably the best bet would be something like a Neural Stunner. It's small, it's iconic. And it's got a lot of variation in color of pixels near each other and in my experience that helps to guide pixel-for-pixel copying. Less errors in counting the amount of pixels to place.

It looks like they announced r/place will end today. If we tried this we might be able to hold it down long enough for it to make it in...
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Threw this blueprint together real quick...

I'd say to focus on defending the black pixels because those define the shape of the object.

I can't directly access the game without crashing my computer so I have to use some roundabout methods to look at it... so I can't post screenshots or anything.

I think a good place to try would be at 1301, 1180. Imagine the top-left corner of the blueprint image is at those coordinates.

Edit: can't test if this link works but here
https://www.reddit.com/r/place/?cx=1301&cy=1180
lol of course as soon as i post that someone else starts building there
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image