It's My Birthday!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

It's My Birthday!

Post by Soul Monster »

Title says it all! :birthday

Turning 25 on the 25th! Woo!!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: It's My Birthday!

Post by Benvolio »

Happy Birthday!! Enjoy the day and make sure to savour your late 20s, for they should be just as much fun as the first half!

Edit: what the garg am I saying... they should be more fun than the early 20s!
Last edited by Benvolio on Thu May 26, 2022 0:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Happy birthday! :birthday
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Happy late birthday dude! Almost your one-year joiniversary here too.

Somehow I assumed you were in your thirties... I think that may have come from a lot of the music and games and other media you've talked about. Although I really ought to know better than to make assumptions like that -- I got the Commander Keen games as a hand-me-down years after they came out.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Happy (late) birthday, Soul Monster! Hope you had a good one! :birthday

Like proYorp, I too somehow thought you were in your thirties (or even forties, I believe). I think it might've been all those cool stories you've shared! Your nostalgia for 50s rock 'n roll may have also contributed to that. But yeah, I should know better than to make assumptions like that too; I'm pretty sure a good chunk of our members here are younger than the Defender of Earth himself! :old After all, I think I only really got into 50s rock 'n roll pretty recently; certainly not in the 50s or even the 70s (when Amercian Graffiti came out)! :lol
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
alexis92
Grunt

Post by alexis92 »

Happy birthday! hope you had fun on your big day!
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Hey everyone, I'm really late to respond to this (it's been very busy lately) but I just wanted to thank you all for the birthday wishes! I had a good time!
Benvolio wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 18:28 Happy Birthday!! Enjoy the day and make sure to savour your late 20s, for they should be just as much fun as the first half!

Edit: what the garg am I saying... they should be more fun than the early 20s!
Believe me, with everything I've got going on this year, it could turn out to be the best year of my life if it all works out!
proYorp wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:34 Happy late birthday dude! Almost your one-year joiniversary here too.
And would you look at that? During my absence I reached my 1 year anniversary of joining the Keen family!
Somehow I assumed you were in your thirties... I think that may have come from a lot of the music and games and other media you've talked about. Although I really ought to know better than to make assumptions like that -- I got the Commander Keen games as a hand-me-down years after they came out.
Quillax wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:55 Happy (late) birthday, Soul Monster! Hope you had a good one! :birthday

Like proYorp, I too somehow thought you were in your thirties (or even forties, I believe). I think it might've been all those cool stories you've shared! Your nostalgia for 50s rock 'n roll may have also contributed to that. But yeah, I should know better than to make assumptions like that too; I'm pretty sure a good chunk of our members here are younger than the Defender of Earth himself! :old After all, I think I only really got into 50s rock 'n roll pretty recently; certainly not in the 50s or even the 70s (when Amercian Graffiti came out)! :lol
Isn't that crazy? I guess a big part of it is that even if some of the shows, movies or music I like came before me, they were still playing them on TV or radio etc., so that probably had something to do with it. Also, I spent a lot of time with my older cousins during my childhood and I guess that could've played a part. As for games, I've been playing Keen since I was 3 or 4 which I used to play at my grandparent's house with my cousin, as well as a lot of Windows 95/98 era games, so I think that's what really started my interest in older computer games and has kept my interested ever since. Also, some of my friends are a little older than me, and we tell each other about stuff we're in to and inspire each other to go check it out for ourselves. In fact, a few months ago, I was talking to a friend on the phone, and we realized that we really were the last generation that got to experience life before technology exploded the way it did, when media wasn't as mass produced and by the numbers as it is now. I mean, all the good shows from the 90s were still airing on TV, with games and such, arcades were still going strong and classic consoles were still easily accessible when I was growing up.

I guess the other thing too is all the journeys I've had. The experiences I've had, the people I've met, the misfortunes I've endured, you really find out a lot about yourself through this kind of stuff.

Anyway, thank you everyone, and I look forward to seeing any new projects in store for us this year!
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Sorry to double post, but I didn't want to make the previous post too long and I thought while I'm here I'd give a quick update:

I know I haven't been on here as much as I'd like to, but things have been really busy lately, because as some of you may know, I'm a staff member in an arcade at a convention in the summers. There's been a lot of meetings taking place lately that go for hours on end, with constant updates occurring. Usually planning isn't this involved, but it's been 3 years since we've done this and we're in a new hotel this year, plus the guy in charge of the room isn't able to put in the time and effort he once did due to increasing responsibilities in his life, so the rest of us have to step up to take some of the weight off his shoulders. Plus, since this is less than a month away now, things are getting down to the wire, and meetings are becoming more frequent.

On top of this, I have a friend who is going to be selling his artwork and 3d sculpts while we're there, and I've been talking to him about finalizing the design for a monster we created a few years ago so that we can put together some artwork of it to sell while we're there. I've been sending rough sketches to him and a few other friends, and everyone says I nailed it in what I was going for with the design. We just need to add some touch ups, and production on artwork can begin.

Anyway, as for Keen stuff, I have been starting to read up on modding tutorials and plan to download some modding tools to mess around with. My goal is to have a mod released next year, either a Vorticons mod or a Galaxy levelpack, I haven't decided yet. I plan to do a few smaller mods to get some practice before starting a bigger, more complex mod that I've had in mind for a while now. At the very least, you can expect some "Keen" artwork from me later this year. In the meantime, I may be involved with 1 or 2 other projects at the moment...
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:17 I guess the other thing too is all the journeys I've had. The experiences I've had, the people I've met, the misfortunes I've endured, you really find out a lot about yourself through this kind of stuff.
Sounds like you have quite a story. I'd be interested to hear about some of that, but I mean no pressure if you don't want to share. I suppose I also have a very... unique life story. People tell me I should write a book. Ha, I might write a series, though there's a lot I shouldn't get into while there's still unresolved drama.

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 Anyway, as for Keen stuff, I have been starting to read up on modding tutorials and plan to download some modding tools to mess around with. My goal is to have a mod released next year, either a Vorticons mod or a Galaxy levelpack, I haven't decided yet. I plan to do a few smaller mods to get some practice before starting a bigger, more complex mod that I've had in mind for a while now.
It's a good plan to start small. These things always end up taking more effort than you think.... As always, the forums are open if you need any guidance. (also use modid for graphics :p)

Good luck with your summer project. Must be a lot to set up again after all the covid stuff.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image