Aliens Ate My Little Sister!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

Just downloaded the game, and I must say, I'm very impressed with this new engine.
It runs buttery-smooth, even though the physics need some tweaking. (The Impossible Pogo Trick -really- earns its name this time, it's quite hard to pull off. :crazy)
I applaud you for your efforts.

However, there are two critical problems that I face while running KEENGINE.

-When trying to change screen resolution, color depth or refresh rate outside of 640x480 32bit 60 Hz, or switch to full-screen mode, the game locks up completely. I had to force it to close using Task Manager.
-There is noticeable audio lag.

I'm running Windows Vista, so that could easily be the culprit. Please tell me if you need my system specs.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Lumpytoast wrote:However, there are two critical problems that I face while running KEENGINE.

-When trying to change screen resolution, color depth or refresh rate outside of 640x480 32bit 60 Hz, or switch to full-screen mode, the game locks up completely. I had to force it to close using Task Manager.
-There is noticeable audio lag.

I'm running Windows Vista, so that could easily be the culprit. Please tell me if you need my system specs.
I know about the sound lag, but, unforunately, this is a bug that seems to be related to the sound routines in BlitzMax. Don't know how to fix that, sorry.

As for the graphics, does the game freeze before or after closing the graphics window? Also, you might want to check which graphics modes are supported by your system using the command line parameter "lm". This will print some information into the console. If you've never really worked with console applications, just create a file called "list.bat" and write the following two lines into that file:

Code: Select all

start.exe lm
pause
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

I quickly loaded the game on my Windows 7 laptop, and it ran with zero problems. Thanks for your help, though. :p
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

am playing on a better computer. It's pretty impressive. Like the zdoom of Commander Keen. I guess that's what Commander Genius is supposed to be but I never got into it.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I guess that's what Commander Genius is supposed to be but I never got into it.
Well, we've been working on KEENGINE for over two-and-a-half years now, using formats we designed ourselves and know how to handle. I don't know exactly when the Commander Genius/CloneKeen Plus project started, but I'm sure it was less than two years ago. So be patient.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Also VBB, I think you don't understand the difference between Keengine and CG: Keengine is a stand alone Fangame engine, that has its own level formats and stuff, while CG is an interpreter for the original keen files.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've updated to the latest version. I cannot change the level name in the editor. I mean in the game file it stays like this:

title0 = The Land of the Bloogs
message0 = Keen enters the Land of the Bloogs in search for his sister

Although in the level properties it's different. I can change that in the file, but I suppose this also can be changed in the editor level's properties?

I'm wondering, is there a limit of the amount of sprites that can be used in a level? As I'm progressing and my level becomes bigger and bigger, I don't want to be surprised with a sudden limit. Not that the level is that big, but still.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm stuck in the 2nd building. Can't find the needed green and yellow keys. :stoned
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm stuck in the 2nd building. Can't find the needed green and yellow keys. :stoned
You need to do the impossible pogo trick to get these. I think I included a demo of me playing through the whole level in hard mode for version 1.1. This way, you'll see where you need to go. If the IPT is too hard for you to do, just reconfigure the controls and assign the same key to jump and pogo.

wiivn wrote:I've updated to the latest version. I cannot change the level name in the editor. I mean in the game file it stays like this:

title0 = The Land of the Bloogs
message0 = Keen enters the Land of the Bloogs in search for his sister

Although in the level properties it's different. I can change that in the file, but I suppose this also can be changed in the editor level's properties?

I'm wondering, is there a limit of the amount of sprites that can be used in a level? As I'm progressing and my level becomes bigger and bigger, I don't want to be surprised with a sudden limit. Not that the level is that big, but still.
Okay, let me explain this. The title and message in the [levels] section of game.ini define the default titles and messages for the levels for the built-in default language (English). The game.ini file is only read by the program. No part of KEENGINE will ever re- or overwrite the game.ini.

So if you want to give the level another title, you need to modify the game.ini yourself. You can enter a new title (and message) in there, or you can remove the title and message. The later forces the game to use the title that is saved in the level file and display the default message when entering the level. So deleting the title and message information will basically force the new version to act like the older version did.

There is no physical limit for objects/actors in the game. But I don't recommend you to put more than 250 Actors in a level, as the collision detection will really slow the game down to a point where it's unplayable.

To check how many Actors you are using, enable the debug keys (just like in Keen 4) and then press C.

To avoid having too many actors, try to use bonus items as Tiles, not as objects, whenever you can. Make use of the foreground layer when you want to "hide" the bonus items behind something. This will slightly increase the file size of them map, but the game will run faster. But when you do this, remember that only the tiles placed in the level map layer will interact with the player. The background and foreground layers will only be drawn and don't do anything.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Alright something else.

Is it intentional that one neural stunner gives you 8 ammo? I don't remember in the first version of the game, but in this, one gives you 8 ammo instead of 5. Didn't find a way to change that.

I figured how to switch between levels, but is it possible yet to go to a level from the world map? I tried this, but didn't work.

Will you implement minimizing button of the level editor window?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

wiivn wrote:Is it intentional that one neural stunner gives you 8 ammo? I don't remember in the first version of the game, but in this, one gives you 8 ammo instead of 5. Didn't find a way to change that.
It is intentional. In the original Keens, the amount of ammo you got was depending on the difficulty level. I think you got 8 shots in easy mode, but I really don't remember.
wiivn wrote:I figured how to switch between levels, but is it possible yet to go to a level from the world map? I tried this, but didn't work.
It is possible. But it'll take some time to explain how it works. Get the KEENGINE TechDemo here and edit the "world.map". It's got everything you need to create your own worldmap.
wiivn wrote:Will you implement minimizing button of the level editor window?
Nope. There's no easy way to do this in BlitzMax.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I got it! Thanks! I just didn't knew what keys to use. And neat tech demo! ;) Anyway, now off I go. I'll have to use the tileset editor for some of the keen 6 world map tiles for my testing map etc.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Just added the game to the KeenWiki:

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Aliens_ ... le_Sister!

(phpBB won't create a link, due to the "!" I guess)

If anyone of you wants to add some more info, go ahead and do it.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

There is a bug with the music I think. When starting on a world map with music and entering a level with different music, the world map music didn't stop. If you quit the level and return to the wm, the music stops. When you enter a level again, the desired level music starts playing. And when you exit the level, world map is without music again.

Actually, it doesn't matter if it is world map or level. It happens even if two levels with different music are switched.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Yes, that's a bug I noticed a few days ago. Already fixed it for the next version.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!