Commander Keen in Back to Fribbulus Xax!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Alopex
Grunt

Commander Keen in Back to Fribbulus Xax!

Post by Alopex »

Hello, Keeners!

I'm super excited to announce the release of my very first Commander Keen Mod, and, as you may have guessed by the title, it's a Keen 6 one! :D

In Back to Fribbulus Xax, Commander Keen will head to a remote sector of the Bloogs planet, Blooggus, where an elite Blog special force has taken Molly after having kidnapped her... again!

This project started in the distant 2017, and after doing hard work on it, even interrupting it due to university and job, today I can finally release a full beta version of what is my first Keen Mod experience!

I wish to say a HUGE thank you to Fleexy, who helped and supported me a lot with all the setting of the Mod with Abiathar and also resolved a lot of issues I had during my path!

Thanks a lot, Fleexy! Again and again! You are amazing!

Now, with enough talking, here's the link to download it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I look forward to your comments, feedback and advice! :)

Cheers and take care!

Alopex

Note: once opened the link, press the Download button on the top right corner. Somehow, Google Drive doesn't let you generate direct download links easy as Dropbox. :bloody

:korath Changelog:

Important note: please, be sure to download the Mod again if you downloaded it before a major bug was solved (especially the ones that cause the game to crash).

08/24/2022:

Fixed a minor bug that causes Keen to not be able to shoot in the entrance of the Security Point and a few graphical glitches that affected some levels.

07/30/2022:

Fixed a few graphical glitches that affected some levels.

07/23/2022:

Added a horizontal-moving platform in the first area of the Outer Guard Post to climb the building. Fixed a major bug that causes the game to crash when Keen puts the yellow gem in the second-last level and a minor graphical glitch.

07/22/2022:

Fixed a minor graphical bug and added a stationary platform in the Security Point (for Easy and Normal difficulties) to make it easier to climb the external building without the impossible pogo trick.

07/21/2022:

Fixed a major bug that causes the game to crash when Keen enters some levels or dies in some other ones.

07/20/2022:

Released the beta version of the Mod.
Last edited by Alopex on Wed Aug 24, 2022 18:38, edited 15 times in total.
Check out my Commander Keen 6 Mod, Back to Fribbulus Xax: viewtopic.php?t=13913.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: Commander Keen in Back to Fribbulus Xax!

Post by Fleexy »

Congratulations on getting to the beta release! Galaxy projects are big endeavors. Glad I could help. :)

I downloaded it (expanding the folder name at the top then choosing Download produces a convenient ZIP file) and will start playing this week.
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Fleexy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 19:05 Congratulations on getting to the beta release! Galaxy projects are big endeavors. Glad I could help. :)

I downloaded it (expanding the folder name at the top then choosing Download produces a convenient ZIP file) and will start playing this week.
Thanks for pointing this out! I updated the post. :)
By the way, I also uploaded a new version of the Mod - so be sure to download it again if you already have downloaded it.
Check out my Commander Keen 6 Mod, Back to Fribbulus Xax: viewtopic.php?t=13913.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I'm a few levels in and it is a really enjoyable Keen6 levelpack so far.
unfortunately though the game crashes when I try to enter this level. already discovered the secret level and did everything else. but without this dome level I'm kinda stuck. so you might want to fix this. (I'm running things on normal difficulty)

Image . Image
out now (link) : Image
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 18:09 I'm a few levels in and it is a really enjoyable Keen6 levelpack so far.
unfortunately though the game crashes when I try to enter this level. already discovered the secret level and did everything else. but without this dome level I'm kinda stuck. so you might want to fix this. (I'm running things on normal difficulty)

Image . Image
Hello, Nisaba!
Yes, this is a known bug which affected some levels that I already fixed. As told in the previous message to Fleexy, I uploaded a new version which resolves this problem, so please be sure to download the Mod again from the same link.
Thanks a lot for pointing this out! :)
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Hey everyone!
After completing all the levels, I fixed some other problems today, especially another bug that caused the game to crash. So if you downloaded the Mod before today, 07/23/2022, please be sure to download it again.
Thanks a lot for your patience!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I downloaded the update - thanks for fixing the glitches. I've only had time to play the BwB, Bloogarrison, and Bobbadome yet, but I'm having fun so far!

Interesting and surprising take on the BwB - I didn't expect that from the world map. I like that it can theoretically provide unlimited ammo if the player can survive the challenge enough times.

As for the main levels: it's great that you have nonlinearity and balance the open spaces with the level having a broad structure! Designing things like this is tough, especially when getting started. I think the optional areas add to replayability - I haven't found the green key in the Bloogarrison or the way outside the Bobbadome yet.

I enjoyed the puzzle-like aspects. I'm not sure it was even intended as a puzzle, but my first thought about backtracking on the right was to pogo on the switch (thereby unflipping it) to reach the goplat, so it was fun to notice the real way. The Bloogdome was one of the most interesting Keen 6 levels IMO, so it was cool to get more content like that. Not having any Bobbas in the level (at least the required parts, on Normal) was a neat reference to the Bloogdome not having any actual Bloogs.

My biggest suggestion would be about graphical details. There are several places where platform tiles have a mismatch boundary with adjoining tiles. I know it's a lot of tedious work to fix all of these (and the original Keen 6 missed some spots too, Bloogville ahoy), but getting it just right really takes the mod to a new level. Sometimes the original tileset might not have the transition tile you need; you could try copying the tile images involved and editing them together, in context, if that helps.

Looking forward to playing the rest and seeing your future creative developments!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

this levelpack comes with a very solid level building and some really neat ideas. For instance I'm a huge fan of the Black Hole idea. Don't wanna spoil too much but I think the falling into to void part is a really neat take
also the secret point items writings in SGA is a neat touch.

like Fleex mentioned I'm also a big supporter of optional paths to explore and get rewarded with some extra points. I noticed a couple of times while collecting the last missing key to exit the level, that there is even more to discover. this enriches the gameplay even more. well done.

however, there are also a number of sections where quite a lot of backtracking is required. this can feel tiring quickly going the same route over and over again. my suggestion would be to put in some sort of a shortcut. like a doorway for instance, or a bridge one can flip open to get faster from A to B after you've reached a required area for the first time. Or a separate entrance and exit route to have the ability to walk in a loop instead of back and forth, if you know what I mean.
Take the Underground Dome or the Bloogclubs, Inc for instance. Levels like this could profit from having some sort of clever shortcut situation attached.
Besides that some levels feel immense hard. but this could be me getting old and rusty. dunno.

All in all a really enjoyable experience. Looking forward for further updates and some graphic fixes to make this a polished product
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:44 For instance I'm a huge fan of the Black Hole idea. Don't wanna spoil too much but I think the falling into to void part is a really neat take
dont wanna spoil
spoils anyway.

You can, you know, warn BEFORE spoiling it, not after.
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Wow, thanks a lot for your kind words, guys! :love I appreciated it so much! And I also love you liked the game concept behind all the levels and the overall mod itself.

Since it preserves most of the original Keen 6 graphics, except for some others I changed, I wanted to focus more on creating structured, unconventional and enjoyable levels to play. I'm so happy I achieved this goal! :D

As Fleexy correctly noted, (yes!) the levels have been intended to be shaped like a puzzle. Backtracking is also a core matter of this mod: I added this characteristic to the game just on the puzzle idea that characterizes it. Besides, I've probably found the backtracking also in other mods, maybe Atroxian Realm, and I've always liked it, but despite this, possibly a few doors that shorten it can be added.

For the hardness of some levels instead, as Nisaba said, actually I admit that someones are a little bit tricky, both in terms of enemies and hazards to overcome: I got carried away with the small Mortimer inside me, but hey, they instil a sense of challenge, right? :mort

Just one question for Fleexy: can you show me the problem with the platform tiles having a mismatch boundary with the adjoining tiles? I think I completely missed this, and I'm so ashamed! :O

As always, many thanks to both for playing and testing BTFX! I appreciated a lot all your feedback! They grow the mod and surely improve it!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Roobar wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:24
Nisaba wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:44 For instance I'm a huge fan of the Black Hole idea. Don't wanna spoil too much but I think the falling into to void part is a really neat take
dont wanna spoil
spoils anyway.

You can, you know, warn BEFORE spoiling it, not after.
hihi
you are welcome
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Like most level packs I find this one more enjoyable than the original Keen 6. For those who haven't played Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again that is also remarkably better than Keen 6. There are a lot of really good ideas for puzzles in this mod. I do have to admit that there were a few areas here and there that were quite tricky, tricky to the point of dying 40-50x before figuring out what I needed to do consistently to pass these areas. In reality I think it is my age catching up to me. Unlike most of the people here are in their 20's and 30's, probably being one of if not the oldest member in this forum, just maybe my reflexes are starting to go.

Also unlike most members here, I start out on easy and then work my way up to hard. With the exception of a few Galaxy mods here and there, I have completed the rest on all skill levels and completed all available levels. I have completed this on easy, though so far I was unable to find the Secret Dome yet. As for the Black Hole I wish there had been more to it, such as hidden points or even more so a hidden opening that could take you to a another world (level) that you would have to complete in order to come back to our own universe, or you would be trapped in the black hole forever. Just a thought.

Hidden areas and secret passages seemed to be few and far between, but I feel like I found most of them. I'm usually really good at finding them. As for the backtracking, most of the backtracking I did was mostly to go back to the optional areas for the extra points and the extra exploration. I don't think backtracking required to complete a level was as common as others have let on, but I could be wrong. We will see on my 2nd playthrough as I look for missed secret areas and my 2nd attempt to find the secret dome.

This is a really good level pack. I will start my 2nd run very soon.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 13:54 Like most level packs I find this one more enjoyable than the original Keen 6. For those who haven't played Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again that is also remarkably better than Keen 6. There are a lot of really good ideas for puzzles in this mod. I do have to admit that there were a few areas here and there that were quite tricky, tricky to the point of dying 40-50x before figuring out what I needed to do consistently to pass these areas. In reality I think it is my age catching up to me. Unlike most of the people here are in their 20's and 30's, probably being one of if not the oldest member in this forum, just maybe my reflexes are starting to go.
Thanks for this precious comment and for already completing this mod! Yes, some levels are a little bit tricky, and winning them isn't so easy. Very well done! :)
Syllypryde wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 13:54 Also unlike most members here, I start out on easy and then work my way up to hard. With the exception of a few Galaxy mods here and there, I have completed the rest on all skill levels and completed all available levels. I have completed this on easy, though so far I was unable to find the Secret Dome yet. As for the Black Hole I wish there had been more to it, such as hidden points or even more so a hidden opening that could take you to a another world (level) that you would have to complete in order to come back to our own universe, or you would be trapped in the black hole forever. Just a thought.
That's a neat idea! I admit I didn't think about making another secret level accessible from the Black Hole, but I find it good thinking! My initial intention (and it's still what I'm planning to do) is to make a mod that is the sequel of this level pack, involving more of this particular level. I do not want to say too much to avoid spoiling those who haven't played BTFX yet.
Syllypryde wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 13:54 Hidden areas and secret passages seemed to be few and far between, but I feel like I found most of them. I'm usually really good at finding them. As for the backtracking, most of the backtracking I did was mostly to go back to the optional areas for the extra points and the extra exploration. I don't think backtracking required to complete a level was as common as others have let on, but I could be wrong. We will see on my 2nd playthrough as I look for missed secret areas and my 2nd attempt to find the secret dome.

This is a really good level pack. I will start my 2nd run very soon.
If the backtracking in this mod tends to become annoying and tiring, as Nisaba suggests, I can surely add some doors which reduce it. It's not a problem at all. Just let me know by your second run. :)

Thanks again for all this feedback and nice words! Are much apprecciated!
Good luck with finding the Secret Dome!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Alopex wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:29 .........Thanks again for all this feedback and nice words! Are much apprecciated!
I found the secret level, I also found a few more secrets I was missing. In one level I missed an entire section of the level, due to the door being right over a retractable platform that I opened to get a yellow gem then never closed back to get back into it. I had forgotten all about it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:24
Alopex wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:29 .........Thanks again for all this feedback and nice words! Are much apprecciated!
I found the secret level, I also found a few more secrets I was missing. In one level I missed an entire section of the level, due to the door being right over a retractable platform that I opened to get a yellow gem then never closed back to get back into it. I had forgotten all about it.
Glad you could find it. :) And thanks for your effort in playing the mod! I appreciate so much that you're discovering so many things. And, I understand what secret area you are talking about - that's one of my favourites. :D