Commander Keen in Back to Fribbulus Xax!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: Commander Keen in Back to Fribbulus Xax!

Post by Fleexy »

Alopex wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:51 Just one question for Fleexy: can you show me the problem with the platform tiles having a mismatch boundary with the adjoining tiles?
Sorry for the delay! I haven't had time to play more levels yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. In the meantime, I F10+G'd through the 3 levels I did complete to get these screenshots of the graphical glitches I was thinking of. Hopefully these are helpful.
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Fleexy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 14:37
Alopex wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:51 Just one question for Fleexy: can you show me the problem with the platform tiles having a mismatch boundary with the adjoining tiles?
Sorry for the delay! I haven't had time to play more levels yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. In the meantime, I F10+G'd through the 3 levels I did complete to get these screenshots of the graphical glitches I was thinking of. Hopefully these are helpful.
Thanks for these screenshots! They're helpful indeed! I just fixed some of the glitches you reported. For some other ones, I need to figure out how to fix those graphical bugs properly (I'm talking about the edges of the spikes in the BwB and for the Bobbadome, the boundary with the wall and the end of the switches poles).
Check out my Commander Keen 6 Mod, Back to Fribbulus Xax: viewtopic.php?t=13913.
Landola1
Grunt

Post by Landola1 »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:24
Alopex wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:29 .........Thanks again for all this feedback and nice words! Are much apprecciated!
Good luck with finding the Secret Dome!
I found the secret level, I also found a few more secrets I was missing. In one level I missed an entire section of the level, due to the door being right over a retractable platform that I opened to get a yellow gem then never closed back to get back into it. I had forgotten all about it.
I thought the secret level passage were in riverside ford :D but guess I was wrong. I have searched it widely and till to frustration. öö Could somebody tell, from which level I can enter that secret dome? :] Or is it spoiling? :P
Last edited by Fleexy on Sun Jul 31, 2022 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote attribution
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Landola1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17
Alopex wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:29 .........Thanks again for all this feedback and nice words! Are much apprecciated!
Good luck with finding the Secret Dome!
I found the secret level, I also found a few more secrets I was missing. In one level I missed an entire section of the level, due to the door being right over a retractable platform that I opened to get a yellow gem then never closed back to get back into it. I had forgotten all about it.
I thought the secret level passage were in riverside ford :D but guess I was wrong. I have searched it widely and till to frustration. öö Could somebody tell, from which level I can enter that secret dome? :] Or is it spoiling? :P
Hello, Landola1!
Feel free to PM me if you are stuck in finding the Secret Dome! I'm glad to reveal it to you without spoiling it here. :)
Check out my Commander Keen 6 Mod, Back to Fribbulus Xax: viewtopic.php?t=13913.
Landola1
Grunt

Post by Landola1 »

Alopex wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 13:07
Hello, Landola1!
Feel free to PM me if you are stuck in finding the Secret Dome! I'm glad to reveal it to you without spoiling it here. :)
<p>
Oh Hi! :) Gee, thanks! ^_^ But there`s one "but": I`m obviously so newbie here or something, that I`m not allowed to make private notes. :stunned Unless... we use email. :dopekeen Does that sound suitable to you? :) Sunny regards -JJ- B)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to the PCKF, Landola1! I think you will be able to use PMs now. (They're disabled by default for new users due to spambots. Sorry for the inconvenience.)
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Landola1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:33
Alopex wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 13:07

Hello, Landola1!
<p>
Oh Hi! :) Gee, thanks! ^_^ But there`s one "but": I`m obviously so newbie here or something, that I`m not allowed to make private notes. :stunned Unless... we use email. :dopekeen Does that sound suitable to you? :) Sunny regards -JJ- B)
I just replied to your PM. :)

As Fleexy said, you had some account restrictions that block you from sending PMs. Anyway, let me know if there's anything else you want to know about this level pack. :)

Welcome to PCKF, by the way!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

A few weeks later (sorry), I've had some time and energy to play Keen mods!

Blueriver Ford and the Security Point were fun and relaxing. The difficulty level seems good to me so far, even playing without in-level saving. If anything, I was expecting Security Point to be harder, at least the optional parts with the several extra lives.

Minor bug report: at least at the start of Security Point, firing often didn't work, very likely because of too many sprites active. Might need to remove some enemies around there or replace infoplane items with foreground tiles.

It was nice to see more of the enemy types getting used. The Nospike specifically was pretty underutilized in the original. On the other hand, it can be good to reserve some enemies for certain levels/area types so the different places in the world feel more unique. But it's definitely possible to get world diversity in other ways too!

The Bloog Garden was a good challenge. It was neat to see the different sections represented on the map and there was indeed a garden area! With Bloog families and other visitors! That was a nice touch :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Alopex wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 19:16 I just fixed some of the glitches you reported. For some other ones, I need to figure out how to fix those graphical bugs properly (I'm talking about the edges of the spikes in the BwB and for the Bobbadome, the boundary with the wall and the end of the switches poles).
what's the current status of this mod? I would like to write the wiki article about it, but waited until your fixes are done.
out now (link) : Image
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

Thank you for spotting this other bug, Fleexy! I just fixed this one and the other graphical glitches you reported last time. Hurray! :p
And - wow - thanks a lot for the kind words! I'm so happy that you're enjoying the mod so much! I put my heart and soul into this work and it's beautiful to receive so much good feedback. What a satisfaction for me!

And, Nisaba, the mod is in "advanced", almost full release, beta status, so you can write the article on the wiki. Thank you so much for this! :)

Sorry for every bug you are discovering, but since I released it, I had a lack of time to play and play again the mod due to my job.
Thanks for all your time!
stayfrosty
Vortininja

Post by stayfrosty »

I'm getting an error loading this game...

Error: abiathar.pat:47:1: File not found
%egahead EGAHEAD.CK6
^
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

stayfrosty wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:41 I'm getting an error loading this game...

%egahead EGAHEAD.CK6
^
I just downloaded a fresh mod copy and launched the game without problems. Are you sure you correctly downloaded all the files? Google Drive is not so handy for sharing downloadable links because it doesn't let you generate direct download links (or at least, I did not find a convenient way to do so).
I'm saying that because your problem is the EGAHEAD.CK6 file is missing from the mod's directory, but the one you can download from the link contains it.
Also, which program do you use to extract archives? I found in the past that extracting archives with the in-built Windows tool, sometimes does not extract the files correctly, so your problem might also be this. In case, be sure to use a program like WinRAR.
Let me know if you can solve your issue.
stayfrosty
Vortininja

Post by stayfrosty »

Alopex wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:34
stayfrosty wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:41 I'm getting an error loading this game...

%egahead EGAHEAD.CK6
^
I just downloaded a fresh mod copy and launched the game without problems. Are you sure you correctly downloaded all the files? Google Drive is not so handy for sharing downloadable links because it doesn't let you generate direct download links (or at least, I did not find a convenient way to do so).
I'm saying that because your problem is the EGAHEAD.CK6 file is missing from the mod's directory, but the one you can download from the link contains it.
Also, which program do you use to extract archives? I found in the past that extracting archives with the in-built Windows tool, sometimes does not extract the files correctly, so your problem might also be this. In case, be sure to use a program like WinRAR.
Let me know if you can solve your issue.
When I click the link there is no download button in the top right. But there is a list of 13 files and by clicking each one separately I can download them one at a time. (I didn't bother with the readme and keen6 text files) Then I put these files into a folder, then added keen6.exe and... getting the error message on load up.
stayfrosty
Vortininja

Post by stayfrosty »

Just did a fresh download and install and it works. Missed a .tli file doh
Now to play!
Alopex
Grunt

Post by Alopex »

If you open a Google Drive downloadable link with incognito mode (i.e. without having logged in with a Google account), it lets you download all the files by clicking the Download All button.
Somehow, Google Drive does not have the same behaviour when you are logged in with an account, which is so unhandy and weird for a so-used Cloud storage service like it.
By the way, glad you could run the mod! Let me know what you think.
Have fun!