Commander Keen - Aurora Bliss (RELEASE)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Commander Keen - Aurora Bliss (RELEASE)

Post by Nisaba »

I have updated the wiki (v.1.1.1 it is). I think the best thing is to send me a short pm as soon as you have the next version ready. I'll try to upload it to the wiki server and update the wiki as soon as possible.
out now (link) : Image
rikimbo
Grunt

Post by rikimbo »

Wow. I finally finished this mod (including the epilogue), and I loved it. I wasn't sure about the big enemy sprites at first, but it really grew on me. You have a really expressive art style. The level designs are very clever, especially those where you have to keep moving the Rimmer along. The music is great as well. "Nights of Aurora" (both the original and in-game version) is a beautiful piece of music. You're a very talented individual and I can't wait to see what you make next.

I agree with what others have said on this thread, but to give you my take on it:
- I didn't understand right away that Keen was scrapping the Jolly Bots. When I saw Keen's dialogue, I was wondering "why is Keen being a jerk to this happy robot?" (Maybe that was intentional though.)
- Some levels feel too long. Sometimes I was really satisfied to have finished a puzzle but was ready to move on to the next level. As an example, I think Temple of Wisdom could have ended where you put the Red Gem near the bottom middle of the level. When I did that part, I was surprised that there was so much more still to do.
- Related to the above, using more than one of each of the four gems makes the level feel longer than it should. When I've opened two gem doors, a voice in my head says "I'm halfway through the level", and it messes with me when that's not true.
- I also stumbled upon the Hidden Valley just by exploring around, without needing the hint. That's not a bad thing though.
- The Ancel Caves level was not for me. Well, specifically I found the jumps over the single spike annoyingly difficult to get right. Others here liked that level though, so that's my personal preference. It was smart of you to only include one level like that.
- The Madness enemy is fantastic. It surprised me every time, and every encounter left me smiling.
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

rikimbo wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:11 I agree with what others have said on this thread, but to give you my take on it:
Thanks for playing it! I agree with everything you've said. I was really happy with the temple of wisdom first time I've designed it but looking back on it, it's my least favorite level too. In my upcoming mod, there will be no huge levels. Some will be bigger but nothing quite like temple of wisdom.

I don't think it's very obvious but Keen is acting like a jerk to these robots due to lack of sleep. They are not good guys though. More on this in the upcoming sequel hehe
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"