Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the new raygun to have recoil?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I love that screen Nospike. Reminds me of the Vox mods, which is a good thing.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Thanks. :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm still working on this, no worries people. Done some neat graphics work today and a bit level progress. I'm going to tackle song composing as I've learned some music theory thanks to guitar playing lately and I think it might just work. :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

So is this a floral-themed mod or what?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

More like destruction-of-flora-themed, huehue.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Sorry for the constant doubleposts (I BLAME YOU PARA, next time write your posts in a way that doesn't get them deleted :p ) but I feel like a little update is necessary. I've fleshed out some graphical flaws you guys have pointed out, especially Lass, and added a whole lot of pretty cool detail tiles to the cave tileset. Level 6 is in the works, I'll post a screenie featuring some new stuff (but not too much hopefully!) later. Cheers guys! Feel free to comment on anything or give constructive criticism, especially on the two screens I've already posted.

EDIT: Holy apples, I've only just noticed that this thread has over 14 thousand views! Image
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

To be honest, I just looked over this thread for the first time. I must say, those are some impressive screenshots. It looks like a solid game, and I love the minimalist style. Kinda makes me wanna do a speed-mod or something.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Thanks a lot. Honestly I intended for this to be a very eyecandy oriented mod at first but then I discovered that I suck at actually putting my ideas to life. Therefore this simplistic style - retro, if you will - was born. :) I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Secret Agent, Keen 3 and Keen 5.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm sorry guys. My computer has broken down recently due to a major GPU issue, and while I haven't lost anything yet, I'm unable to make any further progress on the mod until it's fixed. :( That being said, I've been forced to replay all Keen games on this other computer and have drawn a lot of inspiration from doing that.
Level 6 is almost complete. I have a basic plan laid out for the level themes and music use. When I get my computer back I'll try to make a title song, because it's needed :p
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looking forward to this adventure. As others, I too like the style of graphics.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Little update on the technical things.
My computer is somewhat stable by now (though I'm seriously afraid of jinxing it), however due to a motherboard/GPU fault the graphics are distorted. As a result, while I can keep working on the levels, graphics development is going to be severely impeded. I mean, everything that's supposed to be white is now a flickering pink, my eyes! :bloody Not sure how (and if) this transfers to screenshots, but there likely won't be any new screenshots for a while.
Lass, if you're still up to the challenge, I can send you any new levels and take any of your feedback aboard. :p
Thanks for your patience, everyone.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am indeed up to the challenge, I've just come off a big break to start a new project and am feeling keenish.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

So I've been continuing to work on the mod (very, very slowly :p ). A bunch of new scenery tiles, minor corrections to the levels here and there, and most importantly level 6 is finally nearing completion. Took me long enough, hehe. Another little progress note would be that, strangely enough, my english has vastly improved over the years and therefore I rewrote the entire help file, story included. I can't be bothered to make text patches right now, maybe later when most of the level design and tiles are done.

I might be posting a screenie of level 6 when it's complete to give you guys a peek at what's taking me so disproportionately long, hopefully it won't be affected by my broken graphics. :o
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You know what? Since your Keen 1 mod began in 2010 and now is 2014, and you've made (almost) 6 levels so far, that makes me feel a bit relieved that my laziness is surpassed by others. It's like you're making a level and ~1/4 per year. If you're planning to make 16 levels, by that speed you'll need approximately 8-9 more years to finish it. But then again, that's not a good excuse for me being lazy heheh.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I can feel the shame, you're absolutely right. I tend to work in bursts - do a bit of work, then take a break (that usually becomes overly long because of procrastination and laziness), then try again.
I'm determined to make this mod happen, it's just taking way too darn long. :p I spend a lot of time thinking up visuals, new tiles, level layouts and stuff. It's probably taking me the longest of all the things.