New Commander Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

New Commander Keen

Post by Roobar »

[img]http://.imgur.com/yzxLpGH.png[/img]

Billy Blaze ventures into a whole new world of sky islands, an unique planet formation known as Cloudius IX, in search of a mysterious girl.

Some of the features: VGA graphics, new enemies, new music and other stuff :). There will also be modified familiar Keen graphics.

Engine: Keengine by K1n9_Duk3. The first world is Darmondia, a purple-based tileset originally created by R�bennase. I'm expanding it and I'm adding lots of new tiles.

I'm planning to release a demo sometime. New enemies and candies may come later.

Visionary concept

*update* - due to some personal reasons, from October 2010 the project is on hold.

*update* - some update from 23.03.2016 since imageshack has deleted my images, I've uploaded some new ones...
Last edited by Roobar on Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:53, edited 18 times in total.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Re: New Commander Keen

Post by Dynamo »

wiivn wrote:I have started a new project.

New Commander Keen

(yeah, that is the name of the game).

It is based on Keengine by K1n9_Duk3 and it will be with all new VGA graphics and new music! :) There will be also modified familiar graphics.

The first purple-based tileset originally was created by Rübennase. I've expanded it and added lots of new tiles.

I'm planning to release a 1-2 level demo. New enemies and candies may come later.
Looks nice, but if I hope that bloog is only a temporary enemy.

Good luck!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Looks nice, but I think the VGA gems aren't very keenish and they look weird next to the low-res tiles.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Nospike wrote:Looks nice, but I think the VGA gems aren't very keenish and they look weird next to the low-res tiles.
I like them... I understand what you mean, though, but I have no problem with them.
TheEocene
Grunt

Post by TheEocene »

Aw, I got exited when I saw the title. Thought we'd had news from Tom Hall... Wrong part of the forum but still... :(
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Looks great! Reminds me of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures and Jazz Jackrabbit (with the jewels).
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Aren't those tiles being used in the German Keen community's fan game?
They're great tiles, but yeah, thought they were already being used for a project. Really like the mushrooms, don't think I've seen them with this set before, did you design those?

Definitely hope we'll be seeing new enemies; I'm up for designing some if you don't already have your own plans for them.

Those crystal gem things would look much more keenish if they were partially buried in the ground, rather than just superimposed over it. The tree leaves (i think they're leaves? they have the same pattern as the dirt though) towards the bottom left look very unnatural in that screen. Suggest keeping those in the upper tree area only.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Thanks for the constructive (so far) comments!

It seems that the gems/diamonds/crystals are the most discussed thing. Now that you mention it, they really seems a bit unnatural, although they do have a shadow. Maybe they are too bright. But that's kind of intentional. The overall theme by itself is a bit too dark and too much purple-ish, so I've added them to add more variety and escape a bit of the dark purple-ish feeling. During the gameplay, you won't notice them being "not in place". They look fine and do a lot for the variety, adding better overall feeling. But I'll see if I can make them more fittable to the environment.

As for the enemies, I can't add or change them. All the enemies you saw in Fribbulus Xax Falls are all the enemies that K1n9_Duk3 have made so far. I can only change their skin. So I will first release the demo with these enemies, later I may change their graphics.

@Ceilick what you say in order: What German game are you referring to? As I pointed, I've got a permission from the author of the base tileset to use it and expanding it, and I'm crediting him.

It would be really nice if you design an enemy or two. That's one of the things I'm hoping for - get involving people to help making this a great game. If all goes well and the demo is well received, I'll be looking for some kind of involving people (graphically).

I'll see if I can cave in the crystals. And if the effect looks nice, I'll post it here.

These are not tree leaves. It's one of the solid backgrounds. You'll see. It's not that bad. Making new good looking patterns is one of the hardest thing for me. So sorry. A good tileset takes a lot of time. I'm working on this tileset for just 2-3 days and it is now around 500+ tiles and I'll have a break now. It's hard and time taking to add every single tile and it's properties.

So thanks again for the comments.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This is the project I was referring to:

http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/wiki/index.php/CKFSC_Fangame
http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_Grafiken
http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/wiki/index.ph ... ame_Gegner

It would be really nice if you design an enemy or two.
Awesome, and knowing they'll only be skins of the enemies already there (I hope that will change in the future) is helpfull. When I finish botb, i'll draw some things up (I might need reminding though :p )
These are not tree leaves. It's one of the solid backgrounds.
I see, I guess it was just the placement that had me thinking that. With the tree background on both sides, it looked kind of out of place, but I see you'll be using that for a kind of underground background; looks good :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Looks nice, and as long as Rübennase is ok with you using the tileset it's cool to see it actually used (the CKFSC Fangame will take years to finish I guess).
Good luck with it!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow there are a lots of cool enemies!

Now I see. Rübennase intention was to create a jungle/forest tileset in the night. But I've got a new cool effect with sky clouds seen in the world map that makes you think it's day. I dunno If I would have to remove that or to leave it as it interferer with the level itself. :confused
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

wiivn: I think the shadow is why the gems are looking strange. Try putting a screen here without the shadow.
But otherwise, this is really cool!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, here they are without outer shadow and with a little inner shadow.

And I forgot to mention that the originals are with simple blinking animation.
Last edited by Roobar on Mon Sep 06, 2010 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

both designs look great, the new one look more keenish imo.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I agree, new one looks more keenish.