New Commander Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

CKeen wrote:
Blah blah blah.. Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good... blah blah blah...
Then don't play it. No one is forcing you to like this. I like it the way it is going and I hope it doesn't change. Go find and play some mod with original and mediocre art, if that is what you wish.

Alright, and while I'm at it, why don't you go watch Dane Cook's comedy, which consists of other comedian's old copypasta with a little capslock thrown in. People seem to think that talentless foob is funny nonetheless. :bloody
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Paramultart wrote:
CKeen wrote:
Blah blah blah.. Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good... blah blah blah...
Then don't play it. No one is forcing you to like this. I like it the way it is going and I hope it doesn't change. Go find and play some mod with original and mediocre art, if that is what you wish.

Alright, and while I'm at it, why don't you go watch Dane Cook's comedy, which consists of other comedian's old copypasta with a little capslock thrown in. People seem to think that talentless foob is funny nonetheless. :bloody
Because I'm not being a foob enforcing my opinions on how a game should be "original" to modders.

Also, nice raging there. I like how people get so upset on the internet.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Did we really have to resort to racial slurs in a thread about a commander keen fangame?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Possibly we should calm down a bit here. The problem, as I see it is a small clash of cultures.

In the Keen community as a whole I have found, the attitude to copied graphics is 'they're taking shortcuts' rather than 'how unoriginal' Possibly because people don't have that much time, possibly because graphic editing is something that happened gradually over the years, possibly from good humor, the 'baseline' in the Keen community is at least some unoriginal content (Esp the Keen sprites.)

So it is that when someone makes a mod with totally new content they are seen as being above the usual standard, not normal (With 'unoriginals' all being below or talentless hacks.)

This is why even with the CKCM we were looking at x's sprites for Keen, few people have managed to be 'original' enough to replace all of Keen 1-3's sprites and those people tend to have their designs copied frequently. (Xky's big-headed keen comes to mind.) The Keen community has a habit of reusing not only the old Keen graphics, but also specially awesome ones from other mods.

Indeed it is possible to make a mod consisting of nearly nothing but copied graphics and for it still to do quite well, as long as it's fun to play. People will consider you to be lacking in the graphics department, but many of us here have certain problems in that area anyway.

So in the end, when it comes to graphics, we're very forgiving of unoriginality, (unless you're a douche enough to try and pretend all your stuff is original when it clearly isn't.) far, far more so than copying levels or anything else. So long as it looks good, it's fine.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

RoboBlue wrote:Did we really have to resort to racial slurs in a thread about a commander keen fangame?
Racial? Though "foob" has many meanings, the worst one I know of refers to the individual's sexuality and pasttimes...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

DHeadshot wrote:
RoboBlue wrote:Did we really have to resort to racial slurs in a thread about a commander keen fangame?
Racial? Though "foob" has many meanings, the worst one I know of refers to the individual's sexuality and pasttimes...
I didn't even know it was a racist word. I always thought it meant "annoying" or something.
Levellass wrote:So in the end, when it comes to graphics, we're very forgiving of unoriginality, (unless you're a douche enough to try and pretend all your stuff is original when it clearly isn't.) far, far more so than copying levels or anything else. So long as it looks good, it's fine.
This sums my opinion up pretty well.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

CKeen wrote: Because I'm not being a foob enforcing my opinions on how a game should be "original" to modders.

Raging, eh? I don't see how you could have possibly interpreted my posts as raging. I have in fact never been angry on these forums, other than being slightly agitated by what I've just read.

On top of disregarding every point I've made, you just called me a foob and accused me of something I didn't do, for absolutely no reason.

I have not resorted to name calling on these forums, nor do I intend to... and for the record, all I've done so far is just express MY OPINION, which I am entitled to. You know, that's what message boards are for... Discussion. Not everybody is going to agree with one-another.

Now see, if the OP were to say something like "positive comments only" in his first post, then I would respectfully keep my opinion to myself, like I will from now on now that I see my opinion is not welcome in this thread. (Unlike how you trolled my "positivity" thread)

You are the one doing all the name-calling and disagreeing aggressively with me, which I think more qualifies as "enforcing" your opinions.

I hold no other opinions on this mod other than what I already said, so everyone disregard this post and continue this discussion on topic.

If you have a problem with me, take it to PM and don't drag it here where I most likely will not even read it.

Thank you.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Paramultart wrote:
CKeen wrote: Because I'm not being a foob enforcing my opinions on how a game should be "original" to modders.

Raging, eh? I don't see how you could have possibly interpreted my posts as raging. I have in fact never been angry on these forums, other than being slightly agitated by what I've just read.

On top of disregarding every point I've made, you just called me a foob and accused me of something I didn't do, for absolutely no reason.

I have not resorted to name calling on these forums, nor do I intend to... and for the record, all I've done so far is just express MY OPINION, which I am entitled to. You know, that's what message boards are for... Discussion. Not everybody is going to agree with one-another.

Now see, if the OP were to say something like "positive comments only" in his first post, then I would respectfully keep my opinion to myself, like I will from now on now that I see my opinion is not welcome in this thread. (Unlike how you trolled my "positivity" thread)

You are the one doing all the name-calling and disagreeing aggressively with me, which I think more qualifies as "enforcing" your opinions.

I hold no other opinions on this mod other than what I already said, so everyone disregard this post and continue this discussion on topic.

If you have a problem with me, take it to PM and don't drag it here where I most likely will not even read it.

Thank you.
First off, I NEVER said YOU were foob, EVER, all I said is I am not being a foob. I was referring to myself, NOT you. Before you post, please read other posts carefully. Like, seriously?

It wasn't just me who disagreed with you but pretty much everyone who posted in here. Why? Because your opinions make no sense at all. Read Levellass' post and you'll understand why.

As for the raging, I might have been wrong but you sure looked like raging since you modified most of my post with bla bla bla bla bla bla, the usual attitude of "I am absolutely right and I don't want to hear your opinion as it's just bla bla bla and it's not as awesome as mine, now please die thank you". That's all it is. And if you've been on the internet for a while you should know that kind of stuff does look like raging to an average stupid moron like me.

I have nothing to carry to PM simply because I never insulted you, and never even intended to do so, and if you are offended by my posts it's your fault for taking everything on the internet seriously.

Now that we are clear, let's get back on topic before we both make a bad end. I don't know what's up with these forums in recent times...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

CKeen wrote:
Paramultart wrote:

Thank you.
First off, I NEVER said YOU were foob, EVER, all I said is I am not being a foob. I was referring to myself, NOT you. Before you post, please read other posts carefully. Like, seriously?

It wasn't just me who disagreed with you but pretty much everyone who posted in here. Why? Because your opinions make no sense at all. Read Levellass' post and you'll understand why.

As for the raging, I might have been wrong but you sure looked like raging since you modified most of my post with bla bla bla bla bla bla, the usual attitude of "I am absolutely right and I don't want to hear your opinion as it's just bla bla bla and it's not as awesome as mine, now please die thank you". That's all it is. And if you've been on the internet for a while you should know that kind of stuff does look like raging to an average stupid moron like me.

I have nothing to carry to PM simply because I never insulted you, and never even intended to do so, and if you are offended by my posts it's your fault for taking everything on the internet seriously.

Now that we are clear, let's get back on topic before we both make a bad end. I don't know what's up with these forums in recent times...
THE INTERNETS=SERIOUZ BUSINESS! :garg ;)

I read LevelLass's post, and while it helped me understand a little better this community's take on borrowing graphics, it does not void out my opinion.

I apologize that I misinterpreted your post to be a personal attack, it just seemed that way to me, and I suppose I was being a little harsh carrying out my opinion initially.

I wish wiivn luck with this project, and I'll be sure to check it out further in development and give it a fair chance. :)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Paramultart wrote:
CKeen wrote:
Paramultart wrote: Raging, eh? I don't see how you could have possibly interpreted my posts as raging. I have in fact never been angry on these forums, other than being slightly agitated by what I've just read.

Thank you.

THE INTERNETS=SERIOUZ BUSINESS! :garg ;)

I read LevelLass's post, and while it helped me understand a little better this community's take on borrowing graphics, it does not void out my opinion.

I apologize that I misinterpreted your post to be a personal attack, it just seemed that way to me, and I suppose I was being a little harsh carrying out my opinion initially.

I wish wiivn luck with this project, and I'll be sure to check it out further in development and give it a fair chance. :)
I am glad we finally came to an understanding and I too apologize if I sounded too harsh, it wasn't my intention. Let's just hope this never will repeat again.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Geez! I'll remove the freaking crystals! ...
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

wiivn wrote:Geez! I'll remove the freaking crystals! ...
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU------

But I like them D: The argument is over, just keep them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Geez! I'll remove the freaking crystals! ...
Now you see, this is the wrong attitude. The correct attitude is to sit back, snicker a bit, possibly whilst patting a white cat and wearing a monocle and say 'Just as planned... just as planned...'

(Also don't worry, you can use my crystals, they're slightly less copied!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

After a year break (due to some real life issues), now I'm slowly returning to work on this project.

Please note that from now on, every comment will be deleted, if it is:
- a troll post;
- not relevant to the topic;
- sarcastic, insulting or offending towards me or other people;
- about spelling or grammar errors;
- specifically about ripped or unedited graphics or sounds etc.;
- a "constructive" criticism, that is not constructive or helping at all.

I'm well aware that a lot of things aren't perfect, so I hope that all of this is clear. Moving on.

In the past few weeks I've been working on this project and now it's closer to a demo state. Unfortunately for me, non of the guys from Fan Site Celle so far showed interest in testing it.

Now I have a clear vision of how this game could evolve, so I want to discuss and share a lot of things before continuing. Mostly things about the graphics and the future. I want some feedback and I have prepared a test demo.

I'm hoping to find a few people, who are willing to play it first, test it and to discuss:
- basically what you like;
- the graphics (not all of them are finished or final, and I have specific questions, so graphical artists and advises are welcome);
- the levels;
- the world map;
- the music.

The enemies, the story and the engine (gameplay flaws or limitations) are not a subject at this time. But may be addressed later.

Based on the feedback, later I will share my vision and will let you know the most possible way (from 3-4 ways) how this project will evolve.

If you're interested, please reply in the topic, don't pm...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm definitely interested. I can't promise you I'll have lots of time for testing, but I would be glad to play this and give some feedback when I can. :)

Really happy to see this is still in the works!