New Commander Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

In that case, I'm going to use a lemming in a football helmet.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This style can't fit into the game, so probably it won't be included, but I really wanted to see how Tron Keen would look.
Last edited by Roobar on Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

wow! that looks pretty cool
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Make it fit into the game. Maybe not in the original episode, but as an extra, at least. :drool
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

i also that would make an awesome stand-alone game actually.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Well done with the reflections - very nicely balanced.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

That looks AMAZING!
Are you sure it wouldn't work if everything was outline-only?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is ultra cool - agreed. I guess the reflections are the trouble, or has keengine a feature to enable those on some surfaces?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well about the Tron tileset specifically, it could work in several ways. In my concept there is a Space Station, where it could be used. Or could be used as a secret level or as a separate project. Separate project would take a vast amount of time. Even though the tileset looks simple, the enemies should be redrawn etc. Space Station is way ahead in plans and considering how slow the things are going... By the end of October, there should have been a new engine version released, but it's not. K1n9_Duk3 is very busy lately and I've slowed down the work on the jungle tileset. It turns out it's not that easy to work on it. I was hoping for November-December to have something, but it's not likely to happen.

About the reflections. I've draw them. Unfortunately they don't exist in the game yet.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

tulip wrote:This is ultra cool - agreed. I guess the reflections are the trouble, or has keengine a feature to enable those on some surfaces?
Reflections are a problem, because the game would need to grab stuff from the graphics buffer, flip it and then draw the flipped image. This is VERY complicated, especially with the isometric perspective. You shouldn't expect to see something like this in Keengine.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
tulip wrote:This is ultra cool - agreed. I guess the reflections are the trouble, or has keengine a feature to enable those on some surfaces?
Reflections are a problem, because the game would need to grab stuff from the graphics buffer, flip it and then draw the flipped image. This is VERY complicated, especially with the isometric perspective. You shouldn't expect to see something like this in Keengine.
Surely you could cheat and encode the reflection as a semitransparent part of the sprite?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Even without the reflection, a regular keen 6 mod in all-black with neon outlines like that would be fantastic.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

wiivn wrote:Image

This style can't fit into the game, so probably it won't be included, but I really wanted to see how Tron Keen would look.
Now THIS is what the Shikadi homeworld should look like! :p
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

DHeadshot wrote:Surely you could cheat and encode the reflection as a semitransparent part of the sprite?
Of course you can cheat but you can't make it look correct. Just imagine Keen standing a few pixels further to the right in the screenshot wiivn posted, directly on the edge of the platform. The reflection just wouldn't be correct.

Something like the mirror floors in Duke Nukum would be easier to create, as you can just grab a rectangle from the buffer and flip it. And since Duke Nukum was designed to run at only 16 fps, the performance is not that much of an issue. I once experimented with full-screen effects in Keengine, grabbing the entire screen, manipulating the color values and then drawing the modified image. That slowed the game down to about 3 fps, thus making it unplayable.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

No. 1 Machop Fan wrote:Now THIS is what the Shikadi homeworld should look like! :p
That's a good idea! That would make sense :)