What platform should I install on Mac OS X for Keen 2000?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
JM2006
Grunt

What platform should I install on Mac OS X for Keen 2000?

Post by JM2006 »

Hi

I tried Virtual machines with no luck and there was Windows 95/ 98 downloadable as a seperate app but you cant transfer things over to it which makes it a nightmare to get Keen 2000 and those other games running.

What freeware platform will fix this issue?

Virtual machines for 95/98 wanted a dial up but couldnt let me transfer files over from Mac OS.

Any assistance please?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: What platform should I install on Mac OS X for Keen 2000?

Post by Roobar »

fucl the mac. Buy a PC. PC MASTER RACE FTW
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

There's been a few times people have tried to run Keen 2000 on modern systems, and I don't think I've heard of anyone being successful yet. You could look over these forum threads for some ideas:

viewtopic.php?t=11518
viewtopic.php?t=12356
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

From what I know, Mac's are a bit bitchy when it comes to virtualizing other operating system. aaaaand this is where my knowledge already ends when it comes to Apple products. Sorry I can't be of more help....
out now (link) : Image
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Oh also, I remembered someone recently made a remake of Keen 2000. I haven't played either one so I can't speak for how true to the original it is, but maybe it would be easier to get that running in Wine than trying to mess with an old virtual machine:

viewtopic.php?t=12991

P.S. found a few more discussions about trying to run Keen 2000:

viewtopic.php?t=11858
viewtopic.php?&t=5641
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I might see if dosbox-x running win3.1 and/or 98 will be able to run it, if you're really in a pinch you can add Keen2000 to an iso and mount it as a virtual CD in whatever vm software you're using, but that'd be slow and take a fair bit of prep

Edit: Are you comfortable with a computer terminal? mkisofs is your friend if it's on your mac
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

A few days ago I briefly played Keen 2000 on a VirtualBox VM of the appropriately named Windows 2000, although I think it ran way too fast. I'm using linux though. Maybe create a linux VM, install virtualbox on it, and then set up an old Windows VM on that. :dopefish
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Pandakeen wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 22:24 A few days ago I briefly played Keen 2000 on a VirtualBox VM of the appropriately named Windows 2000, although I think it ran way too fast. I'm using linux though. Maybe create a linux VM, install virtualbox on it, and then set up an old Windows VM on that. :dopefish
You can set the clock speed on the emulated processor in Virtualbox iirc
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Krocker
Grunt

Post by Krocker »

JM2006 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 15:02 Hi

I tried Virtual machines with no luck and there was Windows 95/ 98 downloadable as a seperate app but you cant transfer things over to it which makes it a nightmare to get Keen 2000 and those other games running.

What freeware platform will fix this issue?

Virtual machines for 95/98 wanted a dial up but couldnt let me transfer files over from Mac OS.

Any assistance please?
If you want to download apps like this I don't think Mac it's the best decision. I use Mac because it's easy to carry around, and I have all my information from my phone on my computer. However, I have one more computer with I share with my roommate and we use it for games or apps that require more power.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Is there a Mac DOSbox? An old Windows version that, running in DOSbox, may possibly be able to run it, but I'm not very familiar with Macs and what's available or not for them.