Fan-art thread

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Re: Fan-art thread

Post by jmfmagnum »

Has been a while many years i spend feeling not good enough oh well at the very least i can make some quick doodles
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Oh my gosh I love your art style. :D Especially the faces. Spot's expression is adorable. :lol You've got really good proportions too. That's a cleanly drawn hand in the middle pose, and I know that can be real difficult to do. And the poses are a lot better than anything I can do presently lol.

Is this style at all inspired by Megaman? The helmet in the left pose kind of reminds me of that. There was one time I was going to try to do some fanart in an imitation of that kind of style but never did lol.

I'd love to see more of this! :D
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Oh my gosh I love your art style
I guess it's now time to try to show my art style versions :D

ImageImage
Last edited by DoomJedi on Tue May 31, 2022 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Let's have more fun shall we? :)

jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

proYorp wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:48 Oh my gosh I love your art style. :D Especially the faces. Spot's expression is adorable. :lol You've got really good proportions too. That's a cleanly drawn hand in the middle pose, and I know that can be real difficult to do. And the poses are a lot better than anything I can do presently lol.

Is this style at all inspired by Megaman? The helmet in the left pose kind of reminds me of that. There was one time I was going to try to do some fanart in an imitation of that kind of style but never did lol.

Thanks man you give too much credit and yes my years of failing at drawing megaman fan art shows

Also really liking Doomjedi 90's style is really cool and clearly better than i
We need a native image hosting , lot of broken links while browsing
and have a egdy hot topic mort both it and pose based on the keen the comic strip one, glad to know is still being updated
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks pal, and I'd love to know to draw as well as you, you have a very "educated" way of drawing anything, while I just have my style which is applied to narrow field of "expertise" that has more training (been doing this for 30 years now) than talent, it's hard for me to plan poses and such.
https://www.deviantart.com/maxgenis78/gallery
I'm more of a person who "trained" to do "this one thing" right (and even there doing some anatomy and symmetry mistakes probably) that looks like I'm the master of everything.
I myself always claim in respond to compliments that I have no drawing talent and my narrow expertise seem to be fooling people :)

Last edited by DoomJedi on Tue May 31, 2022 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

This page has some really good fan art.

Also lol @ that Mad Mushroom, his cap looks like a Stahlhelm.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

DoomJedi wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:32
Thanks pal, and I'd love to know to draw as well as you, you have a very "educated" way of drawing anything, while I just have my style which is applied to narrow field of "expertise" that has more training (been doing this for 30 years now) than talent, it's hard for me to plan poses and such.
https://www.deviantart.com/maxgenis78/gallery
I'm more of a person who "trained" to do "this one thing" right (and even there doing some anatomy and symmetry mistakes probably) that looks like I'm the master of everything.
I myself always claim in respond to compliments that I have no drawing talent and my narrow expertise seem to be fooling people :)
Talent doesn't exist, something i learned hard way, speaking off im practicing poses and gesture because is one of my many weakness, is all long days of practice
Also i dont know you guys but i played worms Armageddon before Keen so when i saw the worms i couldn't help it but find the similarities
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

jmfmagnum wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:47
proYorp wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:48 Oh my gosh I love your art style. :D Especially the faces. Spot's expression is adorable. :lol You've got really good proportions too. That's a cleanly drawn hand in the middle pose, and I know that can be real difficult to do. And the poses are a lot better than anything I can do presently lol.

Thanks man you give too much credit
I do genuinely like that art style though! (Otherwise I wouldn't have wanted to imitate it, ya know? :p ) I think you must have done a pretty good rendition of it too, since I was able to recognize the similarities to the Megaman style despite me not being super familiar with it. I think it was 2018 when I discovered that Megaman artwork and then I kind of forgot about trying to study it. :dopekeen
and yes my years of failing at drawing megaman fan art shows
Ha, you must be doing it the right way then! I've heard a saying that goes something like "you have to make 1000 bad drawings before you are able to make 1 good one." Unfortunately for me I don't have much patience for failing at drawing so that would be quite difficult for me to achieve. Maybe "talent" could be described as a willingness to fail in order to improve at something you have a passion for. Or maybe there's a different name for that.

and have a egdy hot topic mort both it and pose based on the keen the comic strip one, glad to know is still being updated
Awesome. He looks so menacing. :D

That also reminds me that some years ago I was trying to make a short set of fan comics inspired by Mort's series, involving Keen and a Skypest (this was while the Shadowlands Exploration arc was taking place). I was trying to imitate the style of the comics but I had a really hard time with the proportions and the poses. Got really frustrated and was never able to finish it. :garg

Haha the Worm, nice. That's the angriest Poison Slug I've ever seen. :lol Guess he ran out of other tactics eh? :p And Keen is just like "Oh! You don't say, Mr. Slug!" I love it.
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

Well if you say so, no matter how many compliments i get im always ashamed because of other better successful artist.
Sorry i bring personal stuff into i bring another piece in offering
Stiff pose is stiff
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

jmfmagnum wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:03 Well if you say so, no matter how many compliments i get im always ashamed because of other better successful artist.
I can relate... I've always been really perfectionist (and only fairly recently realized... that's actually not a good thing :dead2). Because if what I make is not the best ever then what's the point in trying at all, right? But... I guess it's not really about the art, is it? In the end it all comes down to self-esteem. Something about a mindset... flaws in the art are not the same as flaws in the artist. But it's hard to have that mental separation when you've made something that you've put so much of yourself into -- or, honestly, that I've put so much of myself into. For me it's helpful to know that at least someone enjoys what I've made, in spite of all of the obvious shortcomings. That's always been what makes me want to create in the first place, to try to make something that someone will enjoy.

Heh. "Nice try, Shikadi, but your shock-waves are no match for my lightning-fast reflexes!" :D Nice work as always.

Is your Shikadi design inspired by something else too? It looks familiar but I can't quite place it.
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

proYorp wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:15
jmfmagnum wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:03 Well if you say so, no matter how many compliments i get im always ashamed because of other better successful artist.
I can relate... I've always been really perfectionist (and only fairly recently realized... that's actually not a good thing :dead2). Because if what I make is not the best ever then what's the point in trying at all, right? But... I guess it's not really about the art, is it? In the end it all comes down to self-esteem. Something about a mindset... flaws in the art are not the same as flaws in the artist. But it's hard to have that mental separation when you've made something that you've put so much of yourself into -- or, honestly, that I've put so much of myself into. For me it's helpful to know that at least someone enjoys what I've made, in spite of all of the obvious shortcomings. That's always been what makes me want to create in the first place, to try to make something that someone will enjoy.

Heh. "Nice try, Shikadi, but your shock-waves are no match for my lightning-fast reflexes!" :D Nice work as always.

Is your Shikadi design inspired by something else too? It looks familiar but I can't quite place it.
yes one of the fan arts on this very thread
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

jmfmagnum wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:47 Also really liking Doomjedi 90's style is really cool and clearly better than i
You just rocked my world. :-D
proYorp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:42 That also reminds me that some years ago I was trying to make a short set of fan comics inspired by Mort's series, involving Keen and a Skypest (this was while the Shadowlands Exploration arc was taking place). I was trying to imitate the style of the comics but I had a really hard time with the proportions and the poses. Got really frustrated and was never able to finish it. :garg
Probably because my characters' proportions are never consistent. :o
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

Mort wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 16:41
jmfmagnum wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:47 Also really liking Doomjedi 90's style is really cool and clearly better than i
You just rocked my world. :-D
proYorp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:42 That also reminds me that some years ago I was trying to make a short set of fan comics inspired by Mort's series, involving Keen and a Skypest (this was while the Shadowlands Exploration arc was taking place). I was trying to imitate the style of the comics but I had a really hard time with the proportions and the poses. Got really frustrated and was never able to finish it. :garg
Thank you a lot , didn't expected you of all people to reply hahaha
rollytheborb
Grunt

Post by rollytheborb »

I used to draw Keen fanart a lot as a teenager (some of it may still be floating around in some crevices of the internet)
Recently, I came up with an au/fanfic idea with Vorticon OCs. I've even toyed with the idea of making a game in RPG maker based on it. This character is named Violet. It's not the most accurate drawing I have of her (note the distinct lack of claws) but it's the only one I have in color so far.
Last edited by rollytheborb on Sat Nov 05, 2022 20:16, edited 1 time in total.