Fan-art thread

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Fan-art thread

Post by Roobar »

Yeaah that's cool art style! :)
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

rollytheborb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 20:14 I used to draw Keen fanart a lot as a teenager (some of it may still be floating around in some crevices of the internet)
Recently, I came up with an au/fanfic idea with Vorticon OCs. I've even toyed with the idea of making a game in RPG maker based on it. This character is named Violet. It's not the most accurate drawing I have of her (note the distinct lack of claws) but it's the only one I have in color so far.
Maybe they will grow (big vortiladies after all), like the 90's cartoon vibe, smart lead and dumb sidekick, pinky and the brain but saving the galaxy
rollytheborb
Grunt

Post by rollytheborb »

Roobar wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:17 Yeaah that's cool art style! :)
jmfmagnum wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 17:36
rollytheborb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 20:14 I used to draw Keen fanart a lot as a teenager (some of it may still be floating around in some crevices of the internet)
Recently, I came up with an au/fanfic idea with Vorticon OCs. I've even toyed with the idea of making a game in RPG maker based on it. This character is named Violet. It's not the most accurate drawing I have of her (note the distinct lack of claws) but it's the only one I have in color so far.
Maybe they will grow (big vortiladies after all), like the 90's cartoon vibe, smart lead and dumb sidekick, pinky and the brain but saving the galaxy
Or Dexter and Dee Dee lol
She's actually more hyper than dimwitted. She probably asks him so many questions about Earth. He's smart enough to answer most of them but is definitely considering giving her an encyclopedia for...whatever the Vorticon equivalent of Christmas is.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

I've got some Keen artwork I'd like to upload, but I'm not sure how to. Could somebody please shoot me a PM on how to go about doing this? Thanks.
"Remember to be happy, and keep smiling, and have hope, and know that there's sunshine everywhere. Just look around, and you'll find it."
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 I've got some Keen artwork I'd like to upload, but I'm not sure how to. Could somebody please shoot me a PM on how to go about doing this? Thanks.
You must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms.

So first find an images hosting server of your choice. This can be anything from a cloud storage to your own self hosted file server. There are numerous services out there with different business models. Most of them offer free as well as paid services. Just pick what suites you best

To name just one of the many image server options postimages.org seems to offer a quite reliable service.

Next, upload you image files, copy the direct link to the file and paste here.
You also want to make sure to use the needed BBCODE [img] tag so your image gets displayed correctly:

Code: Select all

[img]www.link-to-your-file.png[/img]
out now (link) : Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Thanks for the advice Nisaba!

Anyway, I've been meaning to upload some Keen artwork I did for some time. This was made 2 years ago in celebration of Keen's 30th Birthday, but I never got around to putting it up (partly because I wasn't on this forum yet :p ). When making this piece, I took some liberties with the coloring of Keen's helmet, using a real Green Bay Packers helmet for reference. Mortimer's design was a combination of his Keen 9 design and Tom Hall's description. Also his weapon here was based on the brain blaster from Keen 9.

So finally, here it is. Hope you guys like it:
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

That is really, really neat.The helmets look great, no reason to doubt authenticity of appearance/colouring.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Man, I'm absolutely loving all of the fan-art we're getting in these last two pages! So much quality artwork! :love I like how in Soul Monster's art, Mortimer's face is darkened by the shade, which makes him look far more menacing! (And yes, the helmets look great indeed!)

I don't really have any fan-art to show (unfortunately), but I did find a couple tucked within the vast depths of the Internet that I think are worth sharing:

Catmander Skeen by Codiekitty (2022)

Chibi-Keen by Arne (2016)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
rollytheborb
Grunt

Post by rollytheborb »

A doodle I made for Keen Day 2023 :birthday . It's a rare moment where Billy and Mortimer are somewhat getting along. (You know that Mortimer is considering smacking Billy's face into that pie, though. :mortlol >: )
MortimerPwnz
Meep

Post by MortimerPwnz »

i'm very very new here, so i'll cut to the chase :P

here's some keen & mort i drew some weeks ago. :evil
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Love the red tint in Mort’s hair. That’s a really cool detail.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Welcome to PCKF, MortimerPwnz! That's some neat artwork you've made, pretty cartoony and cute! I agree with Mort on the red tint on Mortimer's hair; that's ingenious! Also, that's a cute doodle you've made, rollytheborb! (Mortimer would definitely smack the pie onto Billy, haha!)

While I was trying to look for something on Twitter, I found a bunch of cool Keen fanart that I must share here:

Artwork by Xous (had I seen this earlier, I might've nominated it for Keen Awards 2022...)

Not sure who made this, but it was posted by the Dopefish Twitter account. What sticks out to me is the claim that Dopefish appeared in games such as Portal and Psychonauts. Is that really true? I've never heard of a Dopefish cameo in those games. Or was the artist making up stuff for whatever reason?

Artist isn't specified here either; was posted by Chris Mutter on Keen Day.

Artwork by Felipe Pakes

EDIT: Even more!

ImageImage

Artwork by Alicia Cornelia

Unknown artist; posted by the Dopefish Twitter account.

Made by Joe Siegler!

Dopefish plush made by a friend of Joe Siegler.

EDIT (Feb 2024): Fixed image links.
Last edited by Quillax on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:09, edited 2 times in total.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Artwork by @nicommunism

EDIT: Let me know if that image is displaying properly for you; I'm using an add-on that lets me redirect all Twitter URLs to a less-bloated site. So I can't tell if it actually works or not for a typical user; going the URL of the image works, though.

EDIT 2 (Feb 2024): Fixed image link.
Last edited by Quillax on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

No it's not
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

Mort wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 23:02 Love the red tint in Mort’s hair. That’s a really cool detail.
reminds me of old deviantart pics, something never thought it would give me warm nostalgia