I watched 31 Spooky Movies for October 2022

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

I watched 31 Spooky Movies for October 2022

Post by troublesomekeen »

Happy Halloween! :pumpkeen
Today is the 3rd of November :helmet
but better late than never! :yorp
Also, hello! It's been two or more years since I've been around town, but I'm back in full force! :vikeen
Around this time of year you know me as the pumpkeen carving guy. A new addition emerges:

In case you didn't know, I've also started posting Keen playthroughs since October 1st. Here's a spooky mod:
Aurora Bliss_Youtube

Now for those spooky movies!

Septem 30 - Dracula's Daughter (1936)
October 1 - Weird Woman (1944)
October 2 - The Night Has Eyes (1942)
October 3 - Quatermass 2 (1957)
October 4 - The Spiral Staircase (1946)
October 5 - The Old Dark House (1932)
October 6 - Werewolf of London (1935)
October 7 - The Invisible Ray (1936)
October 8 - The Black Cat (1934)
October 9 - The Climax (1944)
October 10 - X the Unknown (1956)
October 11 - Frankenstein 1970 (1958)
October 12 - Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)
October 13 - The Vampire (1957)
October 14 - Metropolis (1927)
October 15 - I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
October 16 - Isle of the Dead (1945)
October 17 - The Seventh Victim (1943)
October 18 - Valkoinen peura (1952) [The White Reindeer]
October 19 - House of Horrors (1946)
October 20 - Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954)
October 21 - Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
October 22 - Chamber of Horrors (1940)
October 23 - Invisible Ghost (1941)
October 24 - The Body Snatcher (1945)
October 25 - Corridors of Blood (1958)
October 26 - Eyes Without a Face (1960)
October 27 - Island of Terror (1966)
October 28 - The Haunting (1963)
October 29 - The Corpse Vanishes (1942)
October 30 - Captive Wild Woman (1943)

I would flood this thread with cover art for all the movies but my spoiler commands aren't working. :dead

So! How did your October go? Enjoy a spooky movie last month previously unseen?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: I watched 31 Spooky Movies for October 2022

Post by Benvolio »

Hi troublesomekeen, it's wonderful to have you amongst us once more! Happy belated Hallowe'en! And remember, remember, the fifth of November.

I have to say I have only seen Metropolis, out of all those movies. But my goodness I'd love to see them all!

I have never been a spooky/horror fan. This is probably an equal mix of nature and nurture. But I can imagine that kind of subject matter would interest me, given some of the music I like.

May I inquire, what is your source for accessing these old titles?

Personally I am on the brink of overcoming acedia and cancelling Netflix. (The free of charge British streaming services alone hold far more of what I like to watch anyway than Neflix does). So I need something to spend that monthly tenner on. And right now it's optical media I am contemplating, in this era where access to nice things seems ever more precarious.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I didn't watch 31 "Spooky" movies, but I watched 15-20 of them in the matter of a week. I have a Roku stick. I clicked on Tubi, scrolled down to the horror section, I just went down the list and watched each one. The only I had seen before was the first Hellraiser. Can't remember the names of most of them, Most were decent, a few were blah!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I watched half of Eerie Indiana.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Welcome back, troublesomekeen! You were one of the members on here I hoped would return! I have been keeping up on your channel, but I can't say I've watched every video (I haven't beaten Aurora Bliss yet). I've enjoyed the content on your channel for years, since 2014 I think, and some of your gameplay videos motivated me to download some of the mods you played, so thank you for that. Also, nice Jack-O'-Lantern!!! :pumpkeen

That is quite a list of movies! There's a lot on there I never even heard of! I can't say I watched that many this year, but 26 is pretty good even if they were all movies I've seen before. I had an awesome October! This was my first time working in a haunted house since 2016, this one being run by a local horror host. For Trick or Treat I got to hang out at this neighbor's house that does it up really well each year (to the point where it is basically a mini haunted house), and as per tradition, played through Monster Bash.

:pumpkeen Anyway, it may be a bit late, but Happy Halloween PCKF!!! Hope you had a great one! :pumpkeen
Last edited by Soul Monster on Mon Nov 14, 2022 0:19, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

a lil late to the party, but... screw it.

splendid and inspiring list!
though I must admit that I was a bit puzzled at first that you included Metropolis in the list, as it didn't seem to fit in the horror film lineup. Well, but when you think about it, it is indeed a bit spooky, especially when thinking about that Fritz Lang delivered a crystal ball with this story.

and now for something completely different. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend Peter Jackson's Braindead (1992) as a distinctive cinematic experience. Excellent, gory story telling and a horrifying domineering mother...

Talking about moms. The Ladies Man (1961) by Jerry Lewis. Spooky in it's own way.

you also don't want to miss: Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954) by Jack Arnold.
out now (link) : Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Hate to make a Scream reference, but what is everyone's favorite scary movie? Mine is the original A Nightmare on Elm Street. This would be followed closely by the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Carrie and the original Poltergeist.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Excellent Meep pumpkin! And TSK, your movie list sounds incredible!

Didn't watch any new spooky movies this season, but did re-watch: Psycho Goreman (which is campy and hilarious), part of The Void (which I quite like but it was too scary for my girlfriend so I'll have to finish it on my own sometime soon), Lobster Man from Mars (not as funny as I remember it being), and Event Horizon (not as scary as I remember it being).

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I have a favorite scary movie. I'd really have to check my movie folder as I'm terrible at remembering that type of thing. I do really like Vincent Price stuff though, even if his movies tend to be kind of awful.

As for Halloween and aside from movies, I got together with some friends for a night of the board game "Betrayal at House on the Hill", a game in which 6 characters enter a haunted house to explore, and based on certain factors, a spooky scenario triggers in which one of the players turns on the others.

In our first game, I turned out to be the traitor, and took control of a giant spider in the basement of the haunted house. The spider's eggs had been lain in one of the characters, who had become trapped in the spider's web, and the other players tried in vain to free their teammate. Hopeless for them and victory for me as the spider devoured them one by one :mortlol

In our second game, my friend was revealed to have lured the rest of us into the house, which turned out to be flooding, with the intent of drowning us all. He fruitlessly tried to delay us in the basement (he miscalculated and attacked the strongest player, oops) and the rest of us narrowly escaped the house by finding a rowboat in the attic and launched it from the balcony just as the water reached the upper steps of the second story. A harrowing victory for the explorers.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 21:38 Hate to make a Scream reference, but what is everyone's favorite scary movie? Mine is the original A Nightmare on Elm Street. This would be followed closely by the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Carrie and the original Poltergeist.
Good choices.

My favorite scary movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. When I first saw this movie it disturbed me in a way I had never experienced before, and with all the lore and possible scenarios surrounding the movie it gets you thinking in ways other horror movies don't. And just the idea of a creature like that existing in the universe is terrifying.

Some of my runner ups include The Return of the Living Dead, Matango, Fright Night, House from 1977, and like you said, the original Poltergeist.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Welcome back to PCKF as well TSK!

Benvolio wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:21 I have never been a spooky/horror fan. This is probably an equal mix of nature and nurture.
Same. Honestly to me it seems sadistic, watching people be tortured and killed. But then a lot of people I know of that say they like horror seem like nice people. :confused Still trying to make sense of it all. It confuses me terribly. :no
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

proYorp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:37 Welcome back to PCKF as well TSK!

Benvolio wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:21 I have never been a spooky/horror fan. This is probably an equal mix of nature and nurture.
Same. Honestly to me it seems sadistic, watching people be tortured and killed. But then a lot of people I know of that say they like horror seem like nice people. :confused Still trying to make sense of it all. It confuses me terribly. :no
Actually, it doesn't confuse me at all. No matter how good people are, we all have thoughts of anger and sometimes even violence. What separates civilized people from killers and other deviants is we have found constructive ways to release that anger and aggression. For many people horror movies and sometimes even violent video games can release that aggression in a healthy manner. For me, it's horror movies and shooting.

Everyone has their own outlets on how to keep themselves and sane in this crazy and sometimes evil world.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Thank you, thank you!
Benvolio wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:21
If I can't or don't want to get a physical release from companies like Imprint, Indicator, 101films, 88films, Eureka, SecondSight, ScreenFactory, VideoNasties, Vinegar Syndrome, Severin, Kino, Arrow or Film Detective
I'll end up on Youtube or Youtube's competitors. If I have a bad case of "I must see this movie and nothing can stop me" then I'll steal my sister's Roku. Sometimes I got lucky and caught a film on TV on the TCM station (which is rubbish but I appreciate all the classics they show).
I used Tubi a few times, as Syllypryde mentioned.
Soul Monster wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 19:41
Hey, hey! You must have joined the forums while I was frozen in that ice block. Thanks for the warm welcome and a right welcome-to-the-forums back to you! Side note. That reddish pumpkin that was eventually carved into a Meep sat there sadly uncarved until November 3rd. I was feeling deplorably lazy on the day of Halloween and didn't get around to it. After a few days I came to my senses and realized that if the pumpkin goes uncarved this year, the house might be absent of pumpkins next year. That would be a sad thing. The only way to keep these funny little traditions alive is by doing them. It seems I've underestimated the importance of holiday traditions, but this year it really dawned on me how important it is to me and my family. So when you mention helping out with a haunted house that's a fun thing for a bunch of people to enjoy, and playing Monster Bash... yes! YES SOUL MONSTER. Well done! Keep the spooks alive!
Nisaba wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 18:31
Thanks for the recommendations! I think somebody is going to be watching these next year and it'll probably be me!
You are quite right. Metropolis isn't horror. Misfiled and misfitted. But when I heard that soaring music and saw those impressive structures, I couldn't shut it off (though I was hooked even before I pressed Play after seeing the screenshots of the film, and it couldn't wait out October).
Syllypryde wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 21:38
My favorite spooky movie this year was indubitably Diabolique (1955). I also thoroughly enjoyed The Gorgon (1964). Who doesn't want to see Christopher Lee slice a medusa head clean off? I'm certain I haven't watched my all-time favorite spooky movie yet.
Ceilick wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 15:41
Hah! What a fun time that sounds like! My brother's collection of board games would reach to the moon and back if they were all stacked on top of each other. I bet he doesn't have that game though!
proYorp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:37
Hello! Good to be back. My universe wasn't quite right without this cozy place.
I understand not being a horror fan. Horror turned into something else after the 60s were over. I'm not big on gore, torture, being cut in half, etc etc.. but I do enjoy the craft and the movie magic that goes on behind the scenes to make it seem realistic or over-the-top. I like the mind games and the suspense of some horror movies better than the gore, if it has any gore at all. A lot of movies on my watched list aren't scary at all. :dopefish
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:50
proYorp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:37 Honestly to me it seems sadistic, watching people be tortured and killed. But then a lot of people I know of that say they like horror seem like nice people. :confused Still trying to make sense of it all. It confuses me terribly. :no
Actually, it doesn't confuse me at all. No matter how good people are, we all have thoughts of anger and sometimes even violence. What separates civilized people from killers and other deviants is we have found constructive ways to release that anger and aggression. For many people horror movies and sometimes even violent video games can release that aggression in a healthy manner. For me, it's horror movies and shooting.

Everyone has their own outlets on how to keep themselves and sane in this crazy and sometimes evil world.
No I'm the confused one. :dopekeen Didn't mean to imply anyone else was.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning for it. That's about the first idea I've heard that I can understand. I have a very strong sense of empathy and I can't see someone get stabbed without feeling some phantom pain in the same place in myself. I don't imagine myself ever taking a liking to violent media ("movie magic" or no) but I want to at least understand why it's a thing... I do wonder though if I actually know how to properly process anger, but for me I don't think it would be that.

Hey, so maybe my initial theory wasn't far off then, that people that watch horror might need to be in therapy. :p hmm?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

proYorp wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 22:37 No I'm the confused one. :dopekeen Didn't mean to imply anyone else was.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning for it. That's about the first idea I've heard that I can understand. I have a very strong sense of empathy and I can't see someone get stabbed without feeling some phantom pain in the same place in myself. I don't imagine myself ever taking a liking to violent media ("movie magic" or no) but I want to at least understand why it's a thing... I do wonder though if I actually know how to properly process anger, but for me I don't think it would be that.

Hey, so maybe my initial theory wasn't far off then, that people that watch horror might need to be in therapy. :p hmm?
Have you ever noticed that in a slasher or sometimes even a splatter film most of the time the audience identifies with the killer and not the innocent people? You ever notice that people in these movies are one dimensional characters or are so unlikeable most people feel nothing when they get killed? That is not a coincidence. That is by design.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Imma be honest, I never noticed any of that because I've never seen a "slasher" film. (Though if I'm not mistaken it sounds like DooM could fall into a similar category to what you're describing?) In the tidbits of horror I've seen, the protagonist is the one on the run.