What is this?????

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: What is this?????

Post by Nisaba »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 I can't open that web.archive link...
And now OP's images are down so I can't see any imagery.
The easiest way to bypass your country specific DNS block lists might be to use the TOR Browser to surf such pages.

in the meantime I put together a copy of the ezboard.com conversation thread. (page 1 of 3):
Retodon8 wrote:Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:00 Hey there,

I just felt like putting a screenshot online of a mod I've been working on.
It's just another of Keen's adventures, somewhere before the original trilogy, but it has no real story yet.
What I do have is a new (partial) tileset (still under construction) and some general level ideas, which I should be able to flesh out relatively quick.
(The screenshot is just a mockup, one of many to test how my tiles interact.)
I also plan on changing the default enemies a bit, but I have no idea how just yet.
I'll visit the modding forum once I feel it's their turn.

I started maybe 6 months ago, but I've paused for too long numerous times, or it would've been done in 3 months or less, I'd guess.

Image Image

Edit: I added a 2nd screenshot showing some more tiles, again just a "level" I threw together.

05-06-2006 edit: Fixed graphics, which seems to have bumped this thread, which is exactly what I hoped it would not do.

Anyway, I'm planning on continuing with this mod.
I pretty much stopped right after posting this original post, so there's still a bunch of things to be done.
grafix5000 wrote:Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:11Nice looking! :) I'll look forward to hearing more on this. Also, remember that you should keep modding talk to Keen:Modding unless you have finished and released the mod.
Djaser wrote:Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:43Looks like you're skilled in drawing tiles, considering these are your first I think you did a good job.
Xtraverse wrote:Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:49Very cosmo-ish, I like it.
XkyRauh2001 wrote:Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:50You really know how to use the color Black a lot better than I do. :-) Kudos on the new shots; looking forward to more progress!
CommanderSpleen wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:45Nifty work with the flexible vine tiles. And the reliefs/bumps in the walls are a nice touch.
KeenRush wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 17:45Awesome stuff! Can't wait!

"Also, remember that you should keep modding talk to Keen:Modding unless you have finished and released the mod."
There's nothing wrong posting screens or showing mod work here, IMKO.
Retodon8 wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 17:55Thanks for the kind words everybody. :)
I added another screenshot of a fake level to show some more tiles.

The lava ones I've been working on more recently, and I think they're OK.
I still need a bunch of blue metal tiles though, I don't have near enough to build anything that doesn't look way too repetetive.
Like Spleen noticed, I'm trying to make tiles re-usable in (slightly) different places, if possible in other "sets" to get as much as possible out of a limited amount of tiles.

I'll be sure to head over to the modding forum once I'll get to the more difficult aspects of modding, like masking the tiles, reworking enemies, whatever gives me trouble. :)
Good thing the Keen community is a nice one in helping eachother out.
grafix5000 wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 17:59Nice lava level! :drool The pipes remind me of other Apogee games. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this.
Djaser wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 17:59Oh that's pretty neat. The lava and fire looks realistic, the stone tilles also have natural shapes unlike the original trilogie.
allstories wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 18:59Whoa, awesome stuff.
KeenRush wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 19:59Whoaly garg!! :drool :birthday :eek That is one of the best mod graphics ever seen! Awesome. Can't wait for this mod!
I really had no idea you were so good artist.
CommanderSpleen wrote:Wed Jun 08, 2005 20:59My God... that's some insane stuff right there. You certainly have a knack for theming. Most of my tile themes are randomly thrown together based on colour combinations, mostly, but in your screenshots everything looks like it belongs where it is (especially that tasty looking beverage item for the lava tileset).

One minor suggestion: you might want to add some of those bumps to the left-edge wall tile so it blends in better. It might get repetitive like that, though, but it's worth trying.
CK Guy wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:05Woah - excellent tiles!!! I'm looking forward to this mod ...
Fred Potatoe wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:05WOW! Thats really nice! :eek Excellant work!:drool
X0 UNFLEEXABLE 0 X wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:05Ooh... sweet... :drool
Retodon8 wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:05Quote:
One minor suggestion: you might want to add some of those bumps to the left-edge wall tile so it blends in better. It might get repetitive like that, though, but it's worth trying.

You're right, that did improve the overall look.
Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks everybody else for the positive comments too.

As for more screenies, first of all, like I previously mentioned, I'm not exactly hurrying this, although since I recently picked it up again I made some good progress.
However, in my opinion part of what makes games like these more fun is the exploring aspect, so I'd rather not want to spoil too much.
There are only so many different tiles I can paint and show, and once I get to working on some actual levels, I'd rather release an in-progress mod with just a couple of levels instead.
That way I can get some critiques on gameplay as well.
Mr12000 wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 17:05looks very nice! that lava level look really great! nice art fosho.

hope the game play is as good as the art is going currently :dopekeen
KeenRush wrote:Thu Jun 09, 2005 17:25"There are only so many different tiles I can paint and show, and once I get to working on some actual levels, I'd rather release an in-progress mod with just a couple of levels instead."
Well, suit yourself, anything is good! :)
Eazyjay wrote:Sun Jun 12, 2005 13:25Those screens look awesome, defnitely my kind of thing. I can't wait to get to play this.
out now (link) : Image
CatsAreFuclingEpic
Grunt

Post by CatsAreFuclingEpic »

proYorp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:00 Makes me wonder how your mother got all the way over there. Is she a Keen fan? :dopekeen
Haha, i asked her and she doesn't know where she got the images but she thinks they were from the casual google image search. must be when the images where still up... But yeah considering the fact she has played the original games a lot as a kid and introduced me to them when i was 5(?) i think you could call her a fan lol

but thanks all of you for helping with this search, i appreciate it very very much! and seeing a KeenWiki page about this would be hella cool :p
<3
Dopefish used IDDQD! :dopefish
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Lol thanks for the puzzle. 8)

I guess Google must've thought they looked pretty cool too. (That is, maybe a lot of people clicked on them and that made them favored to the algorithm.)

Benvolio wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 I can't open that web.archive link... I'm starting to think they're blocked in my network/country.
Use a VPN. :smokin
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

proYorp wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:37 "Commander Keen Fan Site Celle" is/was the name of the German forum I believe. I think Grandy02 might know something about it? Actually maybe he'd also know what this mod is so I will ping him.
I would have recognised those screens immediately, as I had searched for images on Tapatalk's ghost PCKF before. Seems that I'm a little late. :old But neat research!
Those graphics looked really promising, too bad that Retodon8 stopped keening ages ago. But who knows, he wouldn't be that first one who makes a surprising comeback...

Regarding the CKFSC, December 2020 was the last time I read from its owner Uwe. I still remember supporting him for the site's relaunch back in 2007. Any way, it's nice to see KeenRush posting here again. :)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

the mystery of the down links
Krocker
Grunt

Post by Krocker »

CatsAreFuclingEpic wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 14:50 Hello everyone, i recently found these two images somewhere in my files. I remember finding them back in 2013, and i wanted to know where they are from. Looks like some sort of fangame or whatev, but google refuses to tell me what it is. Neither filename nor reverse image search helped. does anyone here know the origin of these images?? <3 thanks!!

:dopefish
I can't see the images. Am I the only one with this problem? I tried to refresh the page but nothing changed.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Krocker wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 19:17 I can't see the images. Am I the only one with this problem? I tried to refresh the page but nothing changed.
The images in the first post seem to be broken, but the same images (I'm pretty sure) were posted again later in this thread:

Image Image