Happy New Year 2023!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Happy New Year 2023!

Post by Soul Monster »

HAPPY F'N NEW YEAR, PCKF!!! :christmas

You know, when this last year started, I had honestly lost all hope. I thought it was just going to be another year of sadness and despair, without anything to look forward to. I felt like I was ready to give up on all that, but then everything changed. All those feelings of hopelessness and sorrow drifted away when I realized that after 3 long years I would finally be reunited with all of my friends in the summer. For the first time in a long time, we felt genuine happiness, and we all felt like we were back home when we got our group back together at our annual meetup, where we got to do all the fun things we love: go out to eat, go see movies at the theater that gets rented out, people watch, get into mischief, and close the weekend with the pure insanity that is the after party. Even if we all got covid after we got back home, we regret nothing. Doing that again was well worth it. Plus, we got to meet up again at another event in Indianapolis later in the year as a bonus and do that all over again.

But there was also some misfortune that befell us this year as well. Akira Takarada, a good friend of ours and one of the biggest names in the Godzilla franchise, passed away. While we are all very sad over the passing of our friend, I feel very grateful and fortunate to have met him as many times as I did, and to be able to tell him how much I love his work, and how much of an impact these movies had on me. Mr. Takarada and his family gave me one of my happiest memories when I had won a Godzilla trivia tournament and they saw me in the hall with the trophy after I won. They were all so impressed by my knowledge on Godzilla, and if the Godfather of our event is impressed by my knowledge, I know I'm doing something right. I still get to visit with his kids from time to time, who remember me, and I got to show them a tribute I wrote for Mr. Takarada on a site that let fans submit stories about meeting him for a short time. They seemed very touched by that. Rest in peace, Takarada-san, we will never forget you.

This is the first year in a while that I'm going into with newfound hope and enthusiasm. It sounds like I'll be seeing a lot of my friends a lot more often, and we have multiple events that we intend to go to together this year. One good thing that came out of lockdown for me is that it strengthened a lot of my friendships and made us take less things for granted. Not only that, but some of you may remember that last year in the New Years thread, I mentioned that I had gotten something from one of my heroes whom I greatly admire, and if everything goes right, this is the year where I will finally get to meet this person, as well as some of my other heroes, and it sounds like a few friends might be able to help me achieve that goal.

I've also got a few projects in the works at the moment:

- Right now I'm working on a series of short horror stories that I intend to compile into an anthology and hopefully release sometime in the summer. I've got the general stories and some working titles put together, but I've also got to design a few monsters and research some things for some of the more metaphorical stories.

-At the moment, I'm collaborating with a friend to design a series of monsters that we hope to create some stories and merchandise with. We have 1 completed so far, with another that we just started in the works. Also, sometime in the future, he's having a shed delivered to his house which he's going to turn into his backyard workshop and have people over to do like 3d models and artwork etc.

-In the summer, at our annual gathering, there was this guy there who just put out a low budget movie about dragons, and he found out that I have experience with suit acting (Godzilla films are an example of this) and voice acting, so now he really wants me to be in his next movie, which apparently his publisher is pushing him to do because I guess the first one made him some good money.

-And, as usual, I'm putting together new artwork to hopefully sell at conventions this year.

Other than that, I've been talking with Ceilick through PMs, and what started as me asking some fan questions turned into us sharing ideas for new mods. He tells me I have a pretty good concept for a new mod, too! That means a lot! I can't wait to hear what he says about some of my other ideas! So, now that I've been getting my motivation back and have a possible future collaboration on my hands, I intend to start reading up on modding and messing around with some tools (I know I said I was going to start doing this last year, but plans changed after things became somewhat normal for me again). Furthermore, I may be taking some music lessons soon, so that I can hopefully compose a few tracks for your guys' projects in the future.

Well, Happy New Year guys! Sorry if this post was kinda long! Hopefully this last year treated you better than the previous 2, and if not, don't worry and never give up hope! Things will get better in time for you!

I leave you now with another one of my favorite versions of Auld Lang Syne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCryF1J54Y
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Happy New Year 2023!

Post by Benvolio »

Happy New Year to you too Soul Monster and to everyone here! It's always interesting to hear these slices of the geographically distant (in general) parallel lives of others, who intersect with mine only via this forum. (And this is the only online community I participate in!).

It is so hugely important to get to meet ones friends. It is a real problem in modern society to see adults leave their friends behind. The decade this seems to happen in is usually ones 30s. But it can happen at other times. Personally I feel that both my parents lives have been greatly diminished in quality by the absence of proper contact with their friends from their younger years. I have seen it commented to be a problem particularly for men in modern life, however I'm not so sure. Either way I value the retention of the friendships I made in early teen years, as of immense importance.

Now. Back to New Years. Just two more things to say.

1. I watched, for possibly the 20th time, George Pal's 1960 classic "The Time Machine". I had it taped off the TV as a child so it was one of the moat repeated movies I saw back then too. Absolutely perfect in its aesthetic, and so thought provokingly poignant. A reflection on the breakneck pace at which war has become more and more brutal. And an incredible Cold War perspective added to an adaptation of a novel which long predates that conflict. And no better time foe people to reacquaint themselves with this film than right now in this worsening geopolitical epoch upon which we have stumbled.

2. I am now off on a nice solo walk in the Surrey Countryside in southern England. It is so important to explore avidly any place to which one relocates. I hope somewhere along my route will be a hearty feed of ales and perhaps a roast dinner.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Happy late new year! Keep on Keening
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I've had a rough year. I've made vague allusions to that point before but I haven't said much on what I've experienced. Danger, death (unrelated), betrayal, separation, reunion, camaraderie. I could write a gripping novel on this year alone. Not for quite a while though, as I keep a strict policy of avoiding details on personal matters that have not yet been resolved. I hope that doesn't leave my stories as merely weightless words without anything to anchor to. There's so much I wish to express.

I've become a lot more cynical and disillusioned with people. Mature, maybe; an odd side effect of it all is that some music I might've found too sad or disturbing before doesn't bother me anymore.

I learned that some people genuinely believe themselves to be superior to others. Knowing this has freed me to stop feeling like I'm walking on eggshells in dealing with people in general, knowing others aren't so sensitive. I'm not so concerned about what people think anymore.

I learned not to depend on or take seriously people that don't demonstrate a genuine concern by their actions, no matter how much they say they do, no matter how much they ought to, no matter how much I wish I could... Somehow this has opened me up to being able to trust more people -- or made me desperate enough to try.

I'm having to learn how to grieve. I've been affected by death before but it's never come so close. This last year I lost my first grandparent and, more poignantly disturbing, someone of my own generation that I looked up to as a role model and an inspiration. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Technoblade; mine and my best friends' favorite youtube personality. Taken by cancer and hardly 23. The one time he couldn't cheat death and it was real life. He had what I can only describe as the exact same flavor of neurodivergence that I do. I could intuitively follow and parallel his train of thought in a way I've rarely found in a person and I bonded to him fast. It made little difference that I never spoke to him myself; it felt like I lost a friend.

The last few times I've written something for these new year discussions I concluded with an unfounded, ultimately misplaced, optimism that things will be nice and easy, as if somehow the turning of a digit would mean the swift end of all troubles. Not this time. I know it's going to be a fight. It always is. But I'm learning to fight for myself and with luck on my side I think I can get ahead.

A fittingly bittersweet melody: https://youtu.be/RDSr_CSooT0
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:38 Happy New Year to you too Soul Monster and to everyone here! It's always interesting to hear these slices of the geographically distant (in general) parallel lives of others, who intersect with mine only via this forum. (And this is the only online community I participate in!).
I feel the same way. It's always nice hearing what everyone does for the holidays in different parts of the world. By the way, thank you for introducing me to the world of Scottish folk songs! I've been picking up versions by Barry Taylor and I can see why you would associate these with New Years!
It is so hugely important to get to meet ones friends. It is a real problem in modern society to see adults leave their friends behind. The decade this seems to happen in is usually ones 30s. But it can happen at other times. Personally I feel that both my parents lives have been greatly diminished in quality by the absence of proper contact with their friends from their younger years. I have seen it commented to be a problem particularly for men in modern life, however I'm not so sure. Either way I value the retention of the friendships I made in early teen years, as of immense importance.
I agree a lot with all of this. I think this is something technology has been depriving people of, and as a result they feel depressed, isolated and anxious. It's always sad when friends start to drift away, and it can happen for any reason. It also seems like a lot of people, particularly younger ones, struggle a lot more to engage in normal social interactions, and when they spend all their time online, they're just being bombarded with all the bad things in the world and people talking about their own lives, and it makes their own feel inadequate and unfulfilled. I learned through lockdown that as much as I like texting people back and forth, eventually it gets boring and I need to hear another human's voice and go do stuff outside.

With the friend group I've got going now, there's quite a range in demographics from all different walks of life, and we've known each other for quite a long time now. Even if there's some animosity among some people, this seems like a group where everyone wants to stay together, and keep it going. The last couple years have definitely showed us just how much we value each other as friends, and as a result has strengthened a lot of friendships. Thank you for posting this, because stuff like this makes me even more determined to maintain the friendships I have.
proYorp wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:37
It sounds like you've had a rough year. Sorry to hear that things haven't been going your way, proYorp. I can't say I know the full details about what you're going through, but I can tell you that you're not alone. I've been in a similar situation to the one you're currently going through, and it's never easy to lose someone you're close with, especially when other members of your family start to reveal their true colors as a result. Trust me, I know how it feels to lose all stability in your life and feel like all of your happiness is lost to you. And to lose one of your heroes, especially one in your age group in this case, is devastating. I know you don't feel like you can have hopes and dreams, or be happy again, but you can. Don't give up hope, find a form of escapism, and don't be afraid to talk to another about what you're going through, you'll be glad you did. Things WILL get better for you, just give it time.

As for myself, I'm on a journey to meet my heroes who have inspired me through my darkest times and unknowingly brought me so much joy over the years. You guys probably remember me mentioning that I got something special from one of them back in 2021, and it was a holy grail to me. Well, I want this to be the year where I finally meet everyone, and make my dream come true. This time I have friends who are willing to help me achieve that goal, and I'm paying close attention for an opportunity to come. I can feel it, after 6 long years, I'm bound and determined to make this the year where it happens!!! :mort