Kirby's Epic Yarn? srsly?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Kirby's Epic Yarn? srsly?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

What happened to the good old days when kirby was rough and gritty and didn't take fucl from nobody? Beating up giant flying space eyeballs with an overcompensating star stick and fighting metaknight's robots with NESS'S YOYO?!?! :vikeen

Now he's playing around with rainbow paintbrushes, magical sparkly mirrors, and now... yarn. Freaking girly string. 4kids besmirched your character and this is how you react? By conforming to exactly the way they portrayed you? So long kirby. Your past will be a cherished childhood memory, but like Peter Wiggin the monster and Wiggin the Hegemon, you're just not who you used to be :(
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I never liked Kirby.

Look what happened to Mario. Yeah...
Nintendo just doesn't get it anymore.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm interested in what Grandy02 (founder of a Kirby Fansite) will have to say to this if he sees it.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

You only learned about Epic Yarn just now?

I'm looking forward to the game, actually. Because it looks fun, and I wonder how they'll incorporate the whole yarn thing into the gameplay.
Square doesn't get it anymore, because they're making their games no fun to play. Sega didn't get it anymore (before Sonic 4), because they focused on trying to make Sonic look cool rather than make the games fun.

Nintendo? They try their damn best to make the games fun. Not only that, they constantly try to innovate. If you ask me, even if they don't really know what they're doing, they're still doing very well anyway.

Technically, Kirby is also made by HAL Laboratory, which is a second-party developer. Close enough to Nintendo I guess. :P
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DaVince wrote:Sega didn't get it anymore (before Sonic 4)
Sega won't get it until they make Dynamite Headdy 2. Yes, I realize headdy was made by treasure, a 2nd/3rd party company.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

I think of Kirby as a big pink marshmallow with no brains, but that's probably because I only saw him after he got "un-rough and gritty-ized", so I'm probably a very bad example.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I thought Kirby was always for the kids. Now that you cannot die, it's more obvious than ever. But the yarn idea and the graphics are pretty good actually!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

DaVince wrote:You only learned about Epic Yarn just now?

I'm looking forward to the game, actually. Because it looks fun, and I wonder how they'll incorporate the whole yarn thing into the gameplay.
The Japanese don't get it anymore, because they're making their games no fun to play. The Japanese don't get it anymore (before Sonic 4), because they focused on trying to make Sonic look cool rather than make the games fun.

Nintendo? They try their damn best to make garg little kids games and not make another ACTUAL Metriod 5 sci-fi title. Not only that, they constantly try to innovate. If you ask me, even if they don't really know what they're doing, they're still failing as compared to their sucess with the NES.

Technically, Kirby is also made by HAL Laboratory, which is a second-party developer. Close enough to Nintendo I guess. :P
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Oh yeah, BTW, Devil May Cry 4 pwnts all games mentioned in this thread.
CAPCOM's still got it.
(Also not saying there is anything wrong, at all, with making little kid / general interest videogames. I just don't think the wii is all that great and I am posting in jest. Also I love Nintendo and they worked hard to stay far away from bad stuff as a company and I respect them for that.)
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I thought the game looked cute actually
Lunick is Here
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Nintendo is a company out to make money. In order to make money, your games have to sell well. For a long time, their consoles stood on their own, supported by Nintendo-made games, because 3rd parties weren't interested (see: N64, GCN). This meant that the pressure on the 'old standards,' like Mario, Link, Samus, and Kirby, was pretty strong.

Kirby's Dreamland on the Gameboy (Kirby's first game) actually began life as a non-Kirby game. The Kirby sprite was there as a placeholder--the whole game was designed with the "suck in enemies" gimmick, but with no main character. Kirby, the little puffball, was a "I'll doodle this up real quick, and we'll put in a real character later" solution. It just so happened that he could stand on his own as a character well enough to be successful. :)

Kirby's Epic Yarn began as a game about Prince Fluff, not Kirby. The mechanics about shapeshifting with yarn and adjusting the scenery were established, but the game wasn't "clicking" because Prince Fluff wasn't an engaging enough character. So Nintendo added Kirby to the mix, and the game became not only more interesting, but it had more appeal, since the average gamer would recognize the character.

A similar thing happened back on the GameCube with Dinosaur Planet. That game, with Prince Cranky, was designed without the StarFox universe in mind--they were added at a later stage to add appeal to the game. :)

It's a fine line to draw between using a character on name-recognition status to sell product, and having a product that stands well on its own. Would Kirby's Epic Yarn have been successful, had it starred a differently-shaped Prince Fluff, without any Kirby influence? Would Dinosaur Planet have fared any better if it had no association with StarFox? The answer is probably "no" to both questions, but if you can look at both games from the lense of "what does this game offer, mechanically and gameplay-wise," rather than "how does this game demonstrate my love for a certain well-known character?" I think you can get some insight. :)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Smart psychological tricks. It kind of counts for SMB2 too, though the motivation for the change was different.

I don't particularly mind if the game is fun, even though I like seeing original characters. Still, Kirby fits surprisingly well into the whole yarn thing.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Besides, how can you guys NOT see the OBVIOUS Keen reference in the level full of toys? There's Mangling Machine robots all over the place! COME ON GUYS!!!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

XkyRauh wrote:Besides, how can you guys NOT see the OBVIOUS Keen reference in the level full of toys? There's Mangling Machine robots all over the place! COME ON GUYS!!!
probably because I haven't played it :o
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Wait, it's out already?

Wikipedia states that the EU version will be released in MARCH. What the hell?
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Has anyone tried using Ball to speedrun minibosses in Kirby's Adventure (and its remake)? It can kill Fire Lion in two hits, lol :dead