Commander Keen 5 (EGA) version 1.5 - unofficial

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Did you enjoy this little update?

Yes, I'm glad a lots of bug have been fixed.
50%
No.
38%
Neutral.
13%

Total votes: 8

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Commander Keen 5 (EGA) version 1.5 - unofficial

Post by szemi »

Ladies and gentlemen!

Firstly, I started at the end of 2022, but now I've finally finished my update to Keen 5, which received massive bugfixes and other tweaks as well involving fixes from the GT release, too. As I promised of course on Discord.

So, here is a rough list of the changes:

1. Shelley explodes on contact with Keen again.
2. Keen can no longer go out to the world map.
3. The red rotating brick now drops Keen down, no matter he looks up or down. (Thanks to the unused conveyor belt tile property.)
4. Robo Red no longer gets stuck after shooting when he is off the platform.
5. The High Scores level name typo has been fixed.
6. When Keen loses, the 'Didn't make it past' window now says 'Exit to Omegamatic'
7. In case of climbing the edge of the platform when a goplat goes there, Keen is no longer visible in hidden places.
8. In Security Center level no more pole bug.
9. Added windows in the tunnel levels.
10. All the inaccessible areas in levels are now available without cheating.
11. The K flag now appears behind the score box.
12. Additional goplat added and fixed the left-side cannon tile property in QED to reach all the Vitalins.
13. Keen doesn't float in the Gravitational Damping Hub level anymore.
14. BWB Megarocket level has been added, receiving custom entry text.
15. Jazz Me added as a bonus. Just stand on the platform for a little bit as the level starts and soon the current music changes to Jazz Me. (It was done by rearranging Levellass' "Play different music while getting an item" patch to handle the unused moon variable instead.) Note that if you go to the main menu, to load or save, to help menu, or you die, the music changes back to the original, so then you must go back to the moon floor at the beginning to hear Jazz Me again after standing again for a little bit!
16. As an other bonus, the alternative ending involves Keen translating the mysterious SGA letter.
17. The player can only warp to 15 levels and demo-recording is also up to 15 levels as well.
18. Help menu doesn't contain About Id and Order Info.
19. The swastika has been removed.
20. The help menu's blue gem has been changed to yellow.
21. The 'PRESS A KEY' text on the status window is also yellow.
22. When Keen gets 100 Vitalins, "1UP" graphic is now green.
23. Keen can always break the secret fuse.
24. Demos have been re-recorded.
25. On Keen's portrait after breaking the fuse the T-Shirt has the correct shading.
26. Keen's weapon is green during the game.
27. The score box shows green weapon (Neural Stunner) instead of that old red Raygun.
28. Szemigi and Levellass added to High Scores.
29. The purple platform's lamp now flashes by using the second unused frame.
30. Keen can die on map by pressing F10+Z.
31. Additional right-facing surfing Keen sprite.
32. Quit screen only thanks you for playing episode five.
33. "©2023 Szemigi" and "Version 1.5" added to the bottom of the loading screen along with "©1991, 1992, 1993 Id Software, inc".
34. Green and blue gems/gem-holders are swapped to keep the right color order.
35. Korath added to the help menu.
36. All menu bitmaps received "MENU" text at the end.
37. Joystick 1 and 2, Gravis Gamepad received own bitmaps.
38. In the original ending of the game, Santa Keen's picture has been changed and the next Keen episode is mentioned as "See you sometimes...".
39. The point value graphics have been tweaked.
40. Keen's thumbs up graphics are now correct.
41. Vitalin counter's frame is wider.
42. Alternative title screen added. Just wait until the terminator screen finished and the alternative title appears. Anyway, the original one will be seen.
43. By the starting point of Ion Ventilation System there is another secret area with an extra, second IF-ammo.
44. At the start of QED the two Spindreds have been moved away.
45. Also at the start of QED the items can be got without dying/cheating at the secret place.
46. Additional 6th platform added in Security Center level around the goplat zone (taken from the GT edition of Keen 5).
47. Fuse structure typo has been replaced by the one that is also from GT release of the game.
48. Huffman compression is removed.
49. In the Story section the full title can be found and the red-black line has been removed.
50. In ComputerWrist section the Neural Stunner has been removed at the presentation of New Game menu.
51. Both Tart Stix items have been added to the Help. NOTE: Tom Hall told me on Facebook about the flavour of the red and the blue one:
"Probably Cherry and Watermelon."
Now bugs that I couldn't or just didn't want to fix for technical issues:

1. Die but win = It was possible to extend the pause's timing between the fuse-breaking and/or the QED breaking while touching a Shikadi Mine, but that wouldn't be realistic if after exploding you have to wait for long to end the level/game.
1.5 Ampton pushes Keen after still climbing on the pole = Fixed in 50% as Keen no longer can get to the secret level, but Keen tends to "fall down" at door entries if not properly standing at the door. So move Keen a bit and you can enter the door (the right way) again + due to this I highly suggest you to kill enemies that are in front of the door before proceeding to an other room/to the exit.
2. Hole in the head on pole = Due to the Little Ampton. If I fixed it, the Ampton's behaviour on poles would just change, breaking the original gameplay, so I left it.

That's all! Now enjoy this big update, even if it's just the original game. :)

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzrrq3a7fqw7g ... u.zip?dl=1

Demo video:
https://youtu.be/Iwev0gI_Ns8
Yeah, piece of cake!
Suppawer
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen 5 (EGA) version 1.5 - unofficial

Post by Suppawer »

Thank you so much!. :)

A personal opinion about the original music: What do you think about "Spiro Grip Me Tigher"? (Used in: "Energy Flow Systems", "Regulation Control Center", "Neutrino Burst Injector" and "Brownian Motion Inducer"). Please listen to it. Little bugs?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen 5 (EGA) version 1.5 - unofficial

Post by szemi »

Suppawer wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:22 Spiro Grip Me Tigher
Spiro Grip Me Tighter
Yeah, piece of cake!