Foray in the Forest

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Re: Foray in the Forest

Post by Multimania »

Okay, I've just got to (an) ending on my first playthrough on Easy. I haven't played through all of the levels yet, but managed to get three of the plushies, and I tried both the 'good' and 'bad' endings. (Or at least, one of each). Both very neat, and I loved how they linked forward to Keen Dreams and Keen 4.

Also, the whole game has a nice Keen1-esque vibe at points, particularly with the 'collect these things', and the lollipops, etc.

I'll be playing it some more later, to try the other difficulties and levels I missed, but here are some thoughts:
  • There are a surprising number of levels which (on Easy at least), can be almost completely skipped. I didn't take advantage of any of these (I'd've felt too guilty), but it seemed interesting as a way of quickly unlocking the ending?
  • The remixes of the original music and levels (the well of wishes and lifewater oasis ones) were very neat, and a bit surreal.
  • The world map was a little hard to follow at points: it took me a while to find my way to the southern levels: that gap between the forest and the water doesn't look like it should be the correct path to me.
  • The world feels really alive: between the interactive tiles, the little creatures (the 'Leavea Trip' leaves, and Froggo, for instance), and the music changing, it really feels like a place to explore and a living world.
  • It worked very well on both of my main DOS machines — the Hand386 and my old 486. The only minor issue was some sporadic tearing during the smooth fades with a VLB CL-GD5428 SVGA card.
  • The difficulty level really ramped up at a few points: I definitely needed to save scum a bit.
  • The switches were sometimes quite confusing — if a single switch changed lots of things, it could be hard to keep track. I also confused a few switches with signs depicting what was changed. The 'arrow' signs pointing which way helped, and combined with a bit of trial and error, everything worked out in the end.
  • I think my favourite level at the moment is the ruins: the atmosphere, the music, the falling blocks, the annoying mummies. It hangs together really well.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Matsu wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:48 So excited this finally came out! have been looking forward to this for such a long time.
Just one question, is the gravis gamepad not supported? I can't seem to configure it as a 4 button controller like in other galaxy mods.
Sorry, FITF doesn't support the Gravis Gamepad. That code was missing in the CKSRCMOD code upon which FITF is based and I decided not to add the code from my reconstructed Keen 4-6 source to save some memory. I thought it wasn't necessary.

If you're playing the game in DOSBox, you can use the DOSBox key mapper to map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys. The default key combination for starting the key mapper is CTRL-F1. But if you're playing on an actual DOS machine with a real gamepad or 4-button joystick, then you'll have to wait until the source code is released and somebody adds the missing Gravis Gampad code.
Frenkel wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 17:46 I like the smooth palette fading between levels when a VGA card is detected.
I'm glad you like it. When I read that you added smooth fading in your MCGA port, that inspired me to add VGA fading in FITF. We were already using custom VGA palettes for each level and I wasn't really happy with the way some of the custom colors were displayed during the EGA fade, so I thought I might as well go ahead and implement proper VGA fading in FITF.
Multimania wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31
  • It worked very well on both of my main DOS machines — the Hand386 and my old 486. The only minor issue was some sporadic tearing during the smooth fades with a VLB CL-GD5428 SVGA card.

• I think my favourite level at the moment is the ruins: the atmosphere, the music, the falling blocks, the annoying mummies. It hangs together really well.
Yes, the fading may tear. Since the code can miss the VBL due to music interrupts, I decided to just let it wait for timer ticks instead of VBLs. Missing the VBL could cause long pauses in the fade and I wanted to avoid that.

The Concealed Ruin is my favourite level as well.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Because there were some questions about the hand-picked color palettes for each level, I have made a small compilation that shows the different color schemes for the sky. My aim was always to capture a certain mood. At the same time, I always wanted to stay true to the forest theme when choosing the color nuances. So nothing too radical to expect here.

Multimania wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 There are a surprising number of levels which (on Easy at least), can be almost completely skipped. I didn't take advantage of any of these (I'd've felt too guilty), but it seemed interesting as a way of quickly unlocking the ending?
If you push it a little further than you already have, you can actually unlock a special end sequence for it. So yes, it is intended that you can skip a whole lot of things. There is (hopefully) something for every taste. However, you've obviously still achieved too much to get that special so-and-so. ;)
Multimania wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 - The difficulty level really ramped up at a few points: I definitely needed to save scum a bit.
- The switches were sometimes quite confusing — if a single switch changed lots of things, it could be hard to keep track.
Can you remember in which locations you had struggle with the difficultly level / the switches? I'm always open to tips and feedback on how to improve the player guidance.
juj (via discord) wrote: I tried it out last night, looks pretty great - though I noticed that the vertical refresh stutters, so I thought I'd see if https://github.com/juj/KEEN70HZ scrolling could be applied to it to make it smooth
Please make sure to read this post for further insights regarding the issue mentioned above: viewtopic.php?p=108855#p108855
out now (link) : Image
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Foray in the Forest (development thread)

Post by DoomJedi »

Discovered the release yesterday, posted about it on both of my retro gaming groups, everything you release I'll play for sure, played it some time yesterday, and this mod is fantastic so far, love the snake mini-game as well, creative enemies, nice levels, top-notch pixel art (couldn't expect for any less). Love the ammo charging stations, checkpoint system, all the other quirks like stunning enemies etc...
Love and admire your modding work and vision.

I did expect full(er?) TC art-replacement-wise and a bit too much of original art is left to my personal taste (and some enemies are too direct code-less conversions), but I have to admit what is left fits the environments perfectly and this mod is alot of fun and very inspiring.

Great work!

Will always happy to cooperate and help with ideas and enemy concepts :)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Now some further thoughts.

This mod is very obviously rooted in Keen4 stylistically and, at a deeper level, as a holistic gaming experience. I know it's already been likened in feel to Keen1 and I guess the comparison is probably for similar reasons in both cases.

With Keen4 in mind, I need to praise the map. We've seen forest maps before and this one is both in keeping with tradition, and yet beautifully up to date in its own right. I enjoyed immensely the experience of discovering a path (won't spoil, however basic a finding it might be) that I hadn't noticed for some time. This really wrenched me back to what it felt like to play Keen at the age of 10.

There are a small number of instances where hitboxes can be a little less generous than desired, when it comes to standing on them. Particularly the plants at the bottom of the "Troubled Water" level. What seems to affect me more than outright falling through the edge of the "platform", is that I can't cleanly jump/pogo off the corner of what I believe is the hitbox. This might be a case of my expectations being set to the Vorticons engine but it certainly catches me out!

There is a wonderful flow to the levels. A lot of little touches are there that are kind on the brain (Gonna admit I've never had a good brain for complex Galaxy mod levels much an all as I find them thrilling). The adventure "rabbit holes" flow nicely and then links up with an earlier part of the level in a convenient manner. This is, speaking generically, good storytelling, same as you'd get in a good movie or TV episode. I won't spoil other factors that assist level navigation but I certainly praise all the cool source-editing stuff that goes on on a constant basis in this mod.

The sprites are highly entertaining. Drawn to an extremely high standard without exception. The programming work combined with the design creativity is truly outstanding, and in many cases far outstrips anything delivered in the 1990s platforming era. It's amazing how you have turned non-lethal enemy action into a challenge to rival the usual fatal enemies.

The aesthetics are truly great. There is so much magic here. Some of what you've done with the background colours is absolute wizardry. And yes it would be remiss of me as the alleged master of palettes (an undoubtedly outdated label at this point) not to strongly praise the palette rotation: this is exactly what should be done in platformers: take from VGA what it has to offer in terms of flexibility, and leave behind the spectre of cheaply rendered 256 colour backgrounds! I really hope Xky plays this because, for very obvious reasons, it is very Xkyish in parts.

Now, regarding reuse of graphical assets from Keen4, as DoomJedi mentioned, my natural instinct is to prefer more total-conversion efforts and therefore to be critical of Keen4 tile re-use. I can fully forgive this mod for heavily using Keen4 terrain however given how much FITF delivers in originality overall. But nonetheless I would call for replacement of such graphics where possible in such a mod - though of course it is very challenging to draw graphics that are of a similar calibre. I certainly can't. But there are numerous people in the community who can!

Finally (for the time being), a word on the overall playing experience. This is like nothing I've experienced before, psychologically. I have to both praise and criticise it here. Mostly praise, of course. On the one hand, there are a huge number of tweaks and strokes of genius pulled off here which jazz up the playing experience to no end and set the bar a whole lot higher as far as interactivity and novel mechanisms are concerned. The negative side is simply that I find myself feeling well and truly a "second-tier" player. There is a real sense of "fear of missing out" due to the emphasis placed on secrets and the high reward placed on extremely competent play at the expense of lower quality play. Now don't get me wrong, there is a lot good about this. This is exactly what commercial games of the last several decades have delivered. It simply is different from anything I've experienced in a mod before. Of course Keen mods have been brutally difficult before - many are harder than FITF. But you still simply grapple with the difficulty and get through by hook or by crook provided you have the motivation. With FITF, every missed point, or area one cannot figure out how to reach, is a really stinging blow! (Whilst of course knowing about these also provides motivation and drive). I mean this paragraph mostly as an observational comment rather than a call for future mods to be done differently.

That said... I just found my first "Goodie" this morning (on easy with save-"scumming" +++) so I guess patience is a virtue!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Much agree with that detailed feedback (which is mostly very praising and positive and rightly so), including the
when it comes to standing on them. Particularly the plants at the bottom of the "Troubled Water" level.
My impression and frustration exactly, not all hitboxes are visual and meet the expectation - and it creates frustration at those moments and with those platforms. It's very important for platformer to have proper hitboxes (just as for example it's important for platformers not to blend platforms with background, and not have "faith jumps" but to be/feel fair for your every death). Those are little things that can disproportionally affect gameplay frustration.

But this is a fantastic mod, inspiring, keep playing it and enjoy it much. Amazing work!

P.S. About enemies - there are "my" enemies released long ago that are free to use (directly or by retouch), just as some pickups used in this very mod :)
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

First of all, I want to thank Syllypryde and Nisaba for responding to my previous reply in a mature way. I was worried that I'd get a lot of flak for daring to criticize such an highly anticipated and praised mod, but you two have proven me once again how nice this community is. :)

Anyway, I beat the mod a few days ago! I beat all the main levels, found a few secret levels, found all plush toys, and collected nearly all of the points! And just recently, I reloaded my save file and started a couple other files to see what sort of other endings there are. Here's what I found (highlight to read):
  • The first ending, which is my initial playthrough, I got is where that cloning stuff happens. Princess Lindsey told me that I'm almost there to unlocking something, the Oracle Janitor tells me about stuff I found and stuff I didn't found, and Keen gets a signal from his portable parent monitor (which I find to be an amusing device :)). At first, I was just about as confused as I was when I first started the mod, but after putting some thought into it, I guess it makes sense, if a bit convoluted? It looks the Council Members are really just clones of the janitor -- so that's why they owe Keen a favor. I guess the janitor(s) later decided to do oracle work rather than planet cleaning. Also, the lab stuff makes me think that Gnosticus Pi is an artificially created planet made out of existing stuff (a blueprint seems to show a Bounder getting converted into those red spiky balls). It would explain the reused level design and Keen 4 creatures, as well as some weird amalgamations, like that Blue Bird with a club in the mine level.
  • I did a playthrough where I didn't get any of the plush toys, but got some points. The cloning stuff happened, then I believe a janitor did cleaning in the BwB. He asked Keen about the Robo Red scrap, which is then explained as seen through "vortex goggles and time travel". Sounds pretty nonsensical if you ask me. The game told me that now I know the layouts of the planet, I can start searching around for goodies.
  • I checked out that strange robot Metroid-like thing by the Dream Machine, and wow, that bad ending is bonkers! :O Though, if it's supposed to directly lead to Keen Dreams, then it doesn't make much sense. In the Keen Dreams story, Keen tells his mom that he just saved Vorticon VI and freed the Vorticons, but this ending makes me think you forgot about that detail. Also, in the Keen Dreams ending, Keen wakes up at home, so would that mean the janitor cloning never happens? Would the Oracle still exist, except that Keen would only have to save one person rather than eight/nine? And if you don't do the bad ending and do the cloning ending instead, does that mean Keen Dreams never happens? But yet, the Keen 4 Star Wars scrolling text references Keen Dreams! I don't know, but I think this ending seriously wrecks the continuity of the official Keen games. Sorry, but I don't see how Keen Dreams fits nowhere; as I stated earlier, it has connections to Keen 3 and Keen 4, even if it's just mentions in the story text.
  • I did a quick playthrough where all I did was cheat, go to the last level, cheat, and cheat some more. And I got a wacky and funny ending for it! Really, those crude drawing are hilarious! :lol *BURP*
  • I reloaded my initial save file, but didn't bother to get the Mortimer plush toy. The cloning ending is about the same, except Keen realizes that the parking meter's time limit expired and thus he must go home, although he'll have to return to get his missing plush toys.
  • I beat the game by only playing the required levels and finishing at ZERO points! Okay, I did collect a little bit of points in the bridge and tower levels (in some spots it seems impossible to avoid points), but the trick I did was to get a game over after beating those levels so I could clean out my score. An interesting ending, though basic.
  • (I tested to see if cloning the creatures does anything different, but it only seems to add an extra page in the ending. Maybe I should try seeing what happens if I only cloned one or two types of creatures...)

I'd say I discovered about five or six endings, although I'm not sure what you consider to be a distinct ending. I guess depending on the criteria, I might've actually found just four endings...

Also, I just remembered that the letter Keen receives in this mod is signed "MM". But if this takes place after Keen 3, then Keen would think that Mortimer is dead, given his surprised reaction in Keen 6. Then again, Keen should've known that Mortimer is alive from the letter in Keen 5, so I guess Keen can't read SGA? Or do you think I'm putting way too much thought into the story of some silly and cartoony "kids'" series?

There's a lot more I want to say about this mod and some of the stuff people said here, so much so that it could fit a whole book, but I'll save that for later; I just wanted to quick talk about the endings before I forget about them. This is definitely a good mod and a fantastic achievement that looks to bring another step forward for Keen modding, with some impressive coding to boot (especially in the last level, like wow...). I still don't know if I'd call it a favorite, but it's most certainly my pick for Game of the Year 2023 (although Keen Is At It Again is pretty close).

By the way, I laughed SO FREAKING HARD at the janitor's message in the tower level (the one that's required to beat the game, where there's two towers)! :lol :lol :lol I'm sure 55Aavenue would be so happy to see that! :D Also, I forgot to mention earlier that the PDF file doesn't load for me on Acrobat Reader 4.0, although it's perhaps an outdated program. I'm not sure what PDF programs you guys are using now.

I just discovered the Cloudy Cliff level by complete accident! At first I thought it was a shortcut that lets you skip the bridge level, but then it seems like there's no point to it other than nearly an extra life to collect. I got all the drops and kept looping around, but nothing seems to change.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Hello all! This is totally mind-blowing. The levels are nicely made, some are difficult, but still fun. The challenge is worth it!

My thoughts: It reminds of Keen 4 at first but it goes into amazing, new styles and enemies. Great stuff! There are no bugs as far as I could see.. but that doesn't mean there aren't any. However, I trust Nisaba and the team to take care of everything on the spot, so no worries there.

I played using God mode a few times (eek! sorry!) to simply explore the levels entirely without losing lives. I felt like I was allowed to do it.

The mod is great, I am having lots of fun with it and hoping to finish the game to the very end. Great job as always! I love it. 10/10
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Some quick things I want to say about another ending I achieved (highlight to read):

I beat the game on Normal and collected all 1,000,000 points! The janitors didn't seem to notice that Keen fiddled with the cloning switches and instead thanked him for cleaning the planet by picking up all the points. I thought I'd unlock a secret level for it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. As far as secret levels go, I found Le TARDIS, Cloudy Cliffs, the Slug statue Hall of Fame, and the Donut haven. I don't know if the Mondochrome room in the BWB counts as a secret level. If not, then I seem to have one secret level left to find, wherever it may be. What struck me as odd in the ending is that the janitor gave me a list of things to do that appear unchecked, including stuff that I've already done, like talk to HAL and take a nap with the janitor (I discovered the latter myself very VERY recently, I even went through all of his messages). I'm not sure if that's a glitch or not. Though, he told me to play the game on a higher difficulty, so I guess I'll see how that goes. I sure wonder what he means by "defeat permadeath" though, that really got me raising an eyebrow! Maybe beat the game without dying? Also, I'm not sure what Spaceman Spiff meant by "talk to the janitor twice", unless he meant taking a nap by him. And I've yet to figure out what the message in the pillar (the one in the pyramid level with mummies) is for; the only industries I've found is the last level, but WAV Industries?

Also, I received a PM for Syllypryde about my previous reply, where he gives extensively detailed responses to my thoughts on the endings. I think some of my questions have been answered; I'll have to reply at some point. And there's still definitely a book's worth of things I want to say about this mod, so stay tuned! :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Still hugely enjoying this. I'm going to be honest, the difficulty level on Easy is perfect and this is keeping me engaged. A few other wonderful Galaxy mods disengage me due to too much frustrating difficulty. But this one continues to draw me back whenever I have a little free time. I now have two goodies...

So just a couple more observations to make for now.

The pacing of the introduction of some of the characters is astounding. The initial sighting whets the appetite but then... did it even really happen? This evokes a highly dreamlike state that basically does to the 33 year old brain what Keen1 does to a 10 year old. I wonder what level of modding will be needed to capture my imagination when I'm 60...

I just love the Nisasi, I think they must be my favourite things ever. They also strongly remind me of my little black Scottish Fold cat.

A few instances requiring precision jumping occur in the levels. Nothing to criticise - I'm up for the challenge (with save game at the ready). But it really does highlight how much more difficult controls are on Galaxy than Vorticons. I find a lot of what happens with jumps is down to random variations in neuromuscular junction action potential magnitudes rather than actually being able to judge and modulate velocity in real time as one would in Vorticons. That might be just me... a lot of people think my levels are too hard lolz. There are of course some jumps in FITF that can be rehearsed to perfection. But some where it's too stochastic to do anything other than gamble.

What I've found susprising is that slow moving enemies create a lot more stress for me than fast moving ones and really help make the pace of the game more interesting - in ways I've never seen before. The Zibblinx (great name BTW) give me the most trouble of all!

Music continues to be really amazing. That Gothic/Industrial track in the Well is outstanding. And the effect when the Nisasi get involved is very cool! And overall the soundblaster device (or fake version thereof experienced via Dosbox) is pushed to output sounds that I've never known it to be capable of.

Spoiler alerts for the rest of my post (select text):
A certain level in the pink themed part of the map I almost missed. In an area I thought was decorative, I idly walked around with ctrl held down and was susprised. Does that count as finding a secret? Probably not.

What happens in the water with the pogo... my goodness! I tend to impossible pogo my way around levels a lot and this knocked me for six when I couldn't do it! It's like the vorticons getting their revenge for the Keen2 light switches...

And regarding those troublesome Zibblinx.. it took me a very long while to note that you can shoot them... this is partly because I've been obsessively conserving all my ammo in a way that is definitely not necessary on Easy.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I would like to thank you all again for your warm and honest feedback. I greatly value your very detailed responses, your experience reports, wishes and expectations. I am happy to respond to a couple of your remarks and questions.
DoomJedi wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:25 ... I did expect full(er?) TC art-replacement-wise and a bit too much of original art is left to my personal taste (and some enemies are too direct code-less conversions) ...
In terms of artistic realization, I can understand the basic desire for the mod to move further away from its roots and become a completely unique experience. I guess the lessons learned from this is to communicate even more clearly what my goals are during development phase.
My self-imposed task in this community is to reactivating abandoned, unfinished or unreleased modding attempts. Don't expect a standalone mod from me, as I would rather take the effort to revitalize Sign of the Vool or The Earth Explodes (Galaxy Style).

Benvolio wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 14:35 ...There are a small number of instances where hitboxes can be a little less generous than desired, when it comes to standing on them. Particularly the plants ...
Oopsala, I hadn't noticed the arrangement of the plant platforms in relation to their hitboxes. This is probably due to a kind of operational blindness. Interestingly enough, I didn't notice it during the test runs either. Well, I've fixed it now for the first update anyway. It's good that you pointed it out.
Benvolio wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 13:52 The pacing of the introduction of some of the characters is astounding. The initial sighting whets the appetite but then... did it even really happen? This evokes a highly dreamlike state that basically does to the 33 year old brain what Keen1 does to a 10 year old.
That's probably the greatest compliment you can say about the creatures. I felt very similar when I saw the characters animated for the first time after I sent K1n9_Duk3 my description and artwork. It's a magical moment when they come to life that feels just like it did back in 1990.
I'm not sure what you mean by pink decorations. If there are exploding cats, it's not a secret. However, if there are rain clouds, it is.

Quillax wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:27 ... I beat the mod a few days ago! I beat all the main levels, found a few secret levels, found all plush toys, and collected nearly all of the points! And just recently, I reloaded my save file and started a couple other files to see what sort of other endings there are.
You've really discovered a lot on your first run, and point out some well-hidden little extras and Easter eggs, which is very impressive. I hid some of them with care because I particularly liked Keen4 so much that many years later I could still find little things that I never discovered before. Out of pure curiosity, can I ask you whether you also use God mode to discover hidden corners, or whether you proceed very systematically, or perhaps came across this or that by pure chance?
Kudos to you for finding all the secret levels by now. That means a lot of dedication and a impressive spirit of discovery. Well done! From what you reported, I can also confirm that you have found 5/6 endings. You may have already discovered the missing ending (maybe without counting it as such). In any case, it is very different from the rest and can only be achieved in a different manner.

I also enjoy the assumptions and conclusions you draw from the end story. I'm a big fan of your investigative questions that try to fill in certain gaps and possible inconsistencies in the story logic. Did they resolve for you after you reached the perfect ending? I drew inspiration for the story from the bubbly and imaginative children's logic of my little ones. Maybe trying to put yourself in an 8 year old's shoes and reading the fantastical adventures of the everyday from there will help.
(You should definitely update your Acrobat Reader. On the one hand, because Manual. On the other hand, because it poses a critical security vulnerability for your PC!)
Quillax wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22What struck me as odd in the ending is that the janitor gave me a list of things to do that appear unchecked, including stuff that I've already done
The reason for this is that we had to weigh up which checks to include in the code. It would certainly have been possible to have the game check everything that appears in these lists. In the end, however, the focus was on squeezing the game onto a floppy disk and getting it released at some point. Here I hope you can turn a blind eye to the fact that the Janitor has a few small memory lapses.
Concerning the obelisk you've discovered a spelling mistake. The "V" should be a "Y" -> "WAY".

Random fun fact:
I haven't really played a commercial video game in about 15 years.
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Nisaba wrote:pink decorations
Apologies there was no need for me to be cryptic, when my text was hidden anyways. I was referring to Shilin Forest and how I almost didn't find it. Beautiful level!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

A late warning for those of you who received a physical copy of the game:

The INSTALL.BAT file may end up deleting the self-extracting archive file from the floppy disk!

I would recommend replacing the contents of INSTALL.BAT with the following batch script:

Code: Select all

@echo off
if not exist KEENFITF.EXE goto error
if "%1"=="" goto help
if not exist %1\NUL goto error2
cls
echo This will copy all "Foray in the Forest"-game files from the floppy disk
echo to %1\FITF
echo After that, the copied files will be decompressed automatically.
echo This process may take a while.
echo.
echo System Requirements:   at least 6 MB free disk space available
echo.
echo Press [Ctrl]+[Break] to abort
echo or press any other key to continue
echo.
pause >nul
cls
mkdir %1\FITF
copy KEENFITF.EXE %1\FITF
%1\FITF\KEENFITF.EXE %1\FITF\
del %1\FITF\KEENFITF.EXE
CD %1\FITF
goto END
:error2
echo.
echo ERROR: %1 doesn't exist!
goto END
:error
echo.
echo You must run INSTALL.BAT from the floppy disk. Change to the floppy drive and
echo type INSTALL instead of running it like A:INSTALL or A:\INSTALL.BAT
goto END
:help
echo.
echo "Foray in the Forest" Game Installation
echo ---------------------------------------
echo  Usage:   INSTALL [destination:]
echo ---------------------------------------
echo  Example: INSTALL C: -- Will install FitF to the C: drive
:END
echo.
Please do not try to run the original batch file.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Emmxyzzy
Meep

Post by Emmxyzzy »

This mod is mind-blowing. It's so good, and I'm so impressed, that my level of impressed has almost looped around to me being angry at how good it is. I don't think I could give a higher compliment, and I haven't even played it through properly yet.

Really looking forward to exploring it the whole way through and discovering all the secrets. Thank you so much for creating this.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Here's my 3rd belated forum post preceding Keen Day 2024.

As already known by the end of 2023, it's finally here, the mod that (at least as a concept) was originally started by Mr. M back around 2009.
I haven't really tried new Keen-related mods or other similar contents recently, but from what I do know, there's a clear potential here. Great job!