Stupid References are stupid

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Stupid References are stupid

Post by DoomJedi »

But wait, there is more! (or it seems :) )

https://janpaul.itch.io/stranded-on-saturn
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

DoomJedi wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 13:37 Not so stupid reference :)

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=46707
Oh dude, Paranoid Cactus was also the one that made the really smooth Keen jumping animation thing on Twitter. Doesn't look like that sprite is in this game though.

https://twitter.com/gamecactus/status/1 ... 8612760577
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Fantastic animation.

Though many frames animations look less sharp and edgy, less cool. Better visually, put carry less impact.
One could fix it a bit by adding "jump preparation" and " landing interaction/impact" frames to that animation. The in-air part is good though.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

There's a couple songs that sound pretty similar to Robo Red Rock (the Omegamatic world map theme):

I'm in Love Again (by The Animals, 1964): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0em8o1iw3E
Battle mode theme (by David Wise, from Diddy Kong Racing, 1997): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peNtyMNj1YM

Someone should take one of those songs and make a mashup with it and Robo Red Rock! (Or do all three!)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Looks like Dome of Darkness actually got featured in a game from 1994: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_B ... f_Darkness

Not sure which Dome of Darkness it is, though. I guess the other one got destroyed.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

What does this guy knows that we don't?

Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Roobar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 What does this guy knows that we don't?
This looks fake to me, but what do I know. Is there any evidence to suggest it's real?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Stowed my luggage in locker 3-14 in Amsterdam Centraal earlier today. Genuinely was the one directly in front of me when I walked over to the lockers... not hand-picked.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Roobar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 What does this guy knows that we don't?

Someone bothering the machine learning image generators and overlaying some unconvincing graphics for clout, I assume.

Edit: so, to answer your question, they know how to write prompts for The Oracle (which at least I do not).
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Yeah, one of my first thoughts about that image is that it's AI-generated (with the logos and rating pasted in manually). That outfit just seems too weird to me. Also, while taking a cartoony series and making it gritty and "mature" has been done before (e.g. Bomberman: Act Zero), I don't think they would make the Keen logo shaped like Doom's. I mean, from what I quick looked up, Quake's logo is very different from the Doom logo.
Benvolio wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 20:22 Stowed my luggage in locker 3-14 in Amsterdam Centraal earlier today. Genuinely was the one directly in front of me when I walked over to the lockers... not hand-picked.
What a funny coincidence! :lol

--------
  • The Diana Ross song Reflections has some notes that sound like Keen sound effects, which are played about a minute into the song. It sounds like the jumping sound from Keen 1-3!
  • The Yoshi's Story leitmotif kinda sounds like the Keen 6 theme The Mambo Snake Gonna Eat You, Boy! Nearly every song in Yoshi's Story uses the same melody, but I'll give a few examples: example 1, example 2, example 3. Imagine what the mashup would sound like! Interestingly, there's a song in Foray in the Forest that sounds like the Yoshi's Story leitmotif.
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time has a boss named Commander Shroob, who always makes me think of Keen, and it's not just because of the name! His main colors are pink and yellow, which happen to be two of Keen's most prominent colors (okay, it's supposed to be a purple shirt, but it sure looks pink). The spots on his head are a bit yellowish (almost like Keen's helmet), and you fight him in a place that has "Star" in the name.
  • Bonus: In the 1955 Bugs Bunny cartoon Hyde and Hare, Bugs Bunny goes through a transformation where he resembles Jazz Jackrabbit:

Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Yeah, there's no way that image is legitimate.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

TheBigV
Vortininja

Post by TheBigV »

So, right now I'm working on a project to get Linux Mint installed on a Chromebook. I was checking this page to figure out some information I needed to know for working on the particular Chromebook I was trying to install the new OS on, and then I discovered a Keen reference in the most unexpected place: Quite a few of the Chromebooks (specifically those using the Intel Geminilake processor) have boards with codenames that are named after various Commander Keen characters! And these aren't just surface-level references either, some of them even reference Keen Dreams and Keen GBC!

It's quite clear to me that whoever was in charge of designing the hardware for these particular Chromebooks is a big Commander Keen fan. Who knows, maybe they're even around on this forum...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

oh wow, great find!

Garg360 sounds terrifying — like a biblically accurate angel but with teeth.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass