Stupid References are stupid

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: Stupid References are stupid

Post by Keening_Product »

The second "S" in the MS DOS logo is definitely a Keen 4 inchworm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Msdos-icon.svg
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

In The Thief and the Cobbler, the main character Tack kind of looks like Keen, especially in the beginning:

proYorp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 21:14 No one has pointed this out yet?

Nice work everyone! Special thanks to the spambots for the cooperation. :crazy
Haha, that's great! I didn't know a lot of the spambots were Keen fans! Or are those actual people? If that's the case, then I wonder why haven't they registered yet.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Uncanny. The eyes are very similar. I've never heard of this film but from a quick search it looks to have quite a complex backstory behind it.

Lol I'm guessing they're spambots because like you said, I would think that if they were human, a higher percentage of them would have registered by now (although, there have been quite a few legit new users this year... :D ). Also if there was some event that caused so many people to look at PCKF all of a sudden, I feel like we would have heard something about it.

edit: ooh 256th post beep boop
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Epic has added Keen's helmet in Fortnite:

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

It looks like there are some gas prices that are now $3.14. I'm not sure how I should feel about that. It's better than $3.15, I suppose.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I think a new Keen game has been confirmed! I looked at a box of mac 'n cheese in a store, and the "Best by:" date is March 15, 2023! I bet it's going to be called "The Mac 'N Cheese Is Toast!" Sounds like it'll be really fun! :crazy

(And would you look at that, 315 posts!) :mortlol :O
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Shilor wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:15 In the movie Mission Impossible whenever they said "Job 3:14" it always made me think of Keen :lol
I noticed that last night as well

btw, I love the good old Netscape web browser looks. good times!
Brian De Palma was like: "yeah, we can get away with some stuff because the internet's is this floaty thing out there not everyone knows about yet, so we'll make the internet do some stuff..." I mean, the portrayal of this movie is just hilarious, especially if you watch it now some 20 years later
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/n ... 24871.html

These people must have a Garging bad morning.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Ha ha, what a funny reference, Benvolio! :lol :garg

Another reference: Sometimes the radio will play a Mr. Clean commercial, and when they go "MR. CLEAN! MR. CLEAN! MR. CLEAN!", it sounds an awful lot like the sound Keen makes when he dies in Keens 4-6! Geez, those Shikadi and Bloogs must've left quite a real bloody mess if they need Mr. Clean products! :dead2 :lol

Now wouldn't Commander Clean make an interesting mod?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It amuses me that the "Into The Future" song from Bloogton Tower has signifcant resemblances to part of the final movement of Beethoven's 5th - in this video for instance the relevant bit is at about 32 min 15 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOk8Tm815lE
alexis92
Grunt

Re:

Post by alexis92 »

BlueGasMask wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:09 I made damn sure I went to bed at 3:14 pm today.
PM? Relatable. :lol
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Was just on a flight and saw some bloke was wearing shoes with the brand "Keen". Must get some.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

That's really cool DoomJedi. So playable on my phone. The main character is clearly Commander Keen, and the title of the game further highlights how much of a tribute it is. The game strikes me as an updated, modern day successor to the old Flash game "Superkid" which I recall being widespread at the end of the 1990s and which also was very reminiscent of Commander Keen (albeit the character's clothes and helmet weren't as colour coordinated with Keen as Captain Neat-o's. The blue skies, mario-ish point items strengthen its resemblence to Super Kid. Neato-o, of course, is a far better made game than Superkid was.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Yes, this is a cool tribute, pico8 games are known for having "pun" names as a must :)

Pico8 is fantastic virtual console (some even sell actual "cartridges"), games are free, as I bought pico8 a while ago - I can play it on my retropie (on my TV big screen) and on my windows, and even look at the code, can even mod it if I'd like, it comes with it's own source and preview image.

I played quite alot of pico8 creations ("Celeste" being most famous game that started on pico8), there are also fantastic demakes on that system for all the retro and even modern classics, from pacman to "No Man's Sky" and "Dune"..... Even full Super Mario is there.
My favourite pico8 creation is LowMemSky, demake of NoMansSky made is just 11 days. Addicting as hell.
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=32724