The Sub-par mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

The Sub-par mod

Post by Levellass »

Figured I'd dump this here.

This is a little experiment into what the v2 patch Lemm has made can do with vorticons. It was going to be a proper mod, but i couldn't get levels for it and when i could, my skills had improved enough that the mod was unsalvageable. It goes without saying that this is nowhere near quality, especially the levels which are atrocious. It's buggy and barely complete.

But I figured I'd release it anyway. I learned a lot while making it.: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/subpar.zip
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Would this happen to be based on your Minkcraft mod?
Looks really good so far. I'll try to play through it tomorrow when I have more time. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

This = awesome
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Levellass, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen for Vorticons. The graphics and music are really awesome here. While the level design isn't great, it's also not bad either. I much prefer this over the rediculously long, impossible, and frusterating levels that some mods have. I understand that you didn't want to finish it, but really, you do deserve a lot of credit for this.

I may actually be able to salvage some stuff for Atroxian Realm if you don't mind.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Sub-par mod

Post by DHeadshot »

Levellass wrote:Figured I'd dump this here.

This is a little experiment into what the v2 patch Lemm has made can do with vorticons. It was going to be a proper mod, but i couldn't get levels for it and when i could, my skills had improved enough that the mod was unsalvageable. It goes without saying that this is nowhere near quality, especially the levels which are atrocious. It's buggy and barely complete.

But I figured I'd release it anyway. I learned a lot while making it.: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/subpar.zip
The menu music sounds a bit like the intro to Walk of Life by Dire Straits! :D
Edit: Come to think of it, ALL the music is good! You din't have Paramultart helping out by any chance did you?
Edit 2: After spotting the Doctor Who theme (among others) I'm pretty sure the music is ripped from some TV-Theme MIDI site...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Would this happen to be based on your Minkcraft mod?
I used the folder when going from v1 to v2.

Edit 2: After spotting the Doctor Who theme (among others) I'm pretty sure the music is ripped from some TV-Theme MIDI site...
Siiiiigh. The credits are IN the songs you know, Keenwave should display them. Some songs are by Bjorn Lynne, the Dr Who theme was by a friend of a friend and one of six she made up. One is from Duke 3D, one is based on a DBK character theme, only about half the music is original and none of it was composed by me. Please *DO* check the credits people!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Arg. Cheats = patched. I want to skim it a bit for now (and find out what happens to that crack in the ground when you complete the level) until I make time for playing some mods properly in the future.

Edit: oman, at least they're commented in this. Unpatched, so I'll take a closer look.

I see some pretty awesome stuff. Not such a fan of the "realistic" colour palette, but it definitely suits the theme from what I've seen of the first level. Except that casual perusing when you're epictired is not practical.

The tileset always quite confused me, so the level I made didn't turn out terribly well. Did I end up sending it to you?

Those floating octopus things are amazing. I seriously need to adapt some of these sprite patches into Orbkeen ASAP.

Moar edit: Wow... modifying the world map when a level is completed... that is amazing. I guess that's some level-specific done-marker patchn?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

The patching and graphics are impressive without a doubt, but as you said the game isn't very fun to play.

Also, I can hear Duke 3D music in one of the levels.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

CKeen:
Levellass wrote:Siiiiigh. The credits are IN the songs you know, Keenwave should display them. Some songs are by Bjorn Lynne, the Dr Who theme was by a friend of a friend and one of six she made up. One is from Duke 3D, one is based on a DBK character theme, only about half the music is original and none of it was composed by me. Please *DO* check the credits people!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

We can't SEE the credits without ripping apart the game! The credits should be in a Readme file or something.
Cereal Board!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Speaking of "ripping apart the game", oddly enough, Modkeen wouldn't let me extract any of the graphics. Weird.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The tile graphics would be contained in the several .tls files. You would need to get the .tls editor (http://www.keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1309) and export the bitmap.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Arg. Cheats = patched.
The 'loading' screen will tell you them if you just wait.

We can't SEE the credits without ripping apart the game! The credits should be in a Readme file or something.
KeenWave displays them when you drag-and-drop. *Sigh* I guess I'll just include credits in the song file. If the rest of the world was like you we wouldn't know anything about Wolfenstein or Duke 3D's music at all. I am disappoint.

All up only 4 of the songs are truly original, the others being based on midis (Which may or may not be based on other things.) I did still have to do some work on them due to IMFCreator not being... coperative.

The patching and graphics are impressive without a doubt, but as you said the game isn't very fun to play.
Yep, it shows how terrible I was (And partly still am) at gameplay proper. I'm hoping it will inspire others to make better ones.

Speaking of "ripping apart the game", oddly enough, Modkeen wouldn't let me extract any of the graphics. Weird.
ModKeen is old technology, KeenGraph was used to make this mod. The 'new' modkeen doesn't even let you change the number of sprite images you can work with!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm sorry I have to say this, but this mod is WAY. TOO. HARD.

And it's only because of the severe scarcity of ammo. I had to skip levels to see the ending, because they were just impossible with those flying squids all over the place.

I have to hand it to you, the graphics and the patching in this is neat :dopefish
And there's even a Dangerous Dave 2 themed level! :D
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:And there's even a Dangerous Dave 2 themed level! :D
Like This?
Cereal Board!