The XkyKeen2 Level Competition: The Levels Are In!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

The XkyKeen2 Level Competition: The Levels Are In!

Post by ckguy »

This is the official announcement for the XkyKeen2 level competition! This is the first time a level competition for a Keen mod has been held, and what better mod to start it off? Here is a rundown of the basic information:

- Grab a copy of the original XkyKeen2 here.
- This competition is open to all members of the PCKF.
- Send completed levels to bipship (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Post here when you submit the level, because I do not check that account often.
- Entries will be accepted anytime between now and three weeks from today - April 22.
- Only one submission per person.

I think that about covers it. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know!

(Edit - New Email Address)
Last edited by ckguy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:11, edited 2 times in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

It doesn't seem to patch correctly. :( I've made a xkykeen2 folder in which all the files for KEEN2 have been replaced with the xkykeen2 files, and I run the batch file, but all the patched features like the title screen and the bullet erasey thing don't do what they should. Is this a version thing?

EDIT: Okay, I've discovered that I am, indeed, running the wrong version. In this case, does anybody know where I can get the patch I need (1.0 to 1.31)? The one on Beyond the Pogo seems to be broken.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

It could be a version thing. You need version 1.31. The version number shows up before the ONE MOMENT graphic. If it goes too fast for you to read, check the .exe filesize. The Version 1.0 KEEN2.EXE is 58,307 bytes and the Version 1.31 KEEN2.EXE is 58,335 bytes. (This is actually probably the easiest way to check which version you have.) If you do indeed have version 1.0, then download this file into your original Keen 2 folder and run it to update your version. Then copy the KEEN2.EXE into the folder where you extracted xkykeen2.zip.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good luck everyone, can't wait to play the levels! :dopekeen I think I'll play XkyKeen2 again to remember what tiles are used and how and such.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I need to find a good Keen level editor for this.

Ordinarily, I would use the DOS-based KeenWright, but all I can find is the Windows beta which is way too limited for me. And the copy of the DOS version I have won't render the xkykeen2 tileset; it puts the ordinary Keen2 tileset into the levels, which doesn't work at all.

Also, I put Mindbelt onto my computer. It's certainly much more user-friendly than KeenWright is, but the one thing I cannot figure out how to do is remove sprites. It seems that, once I add one, it's there for good.

If anybody can help me solve any of the above problems, that would be fabulous. :)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

To remove sprites, you place the '0' sprite, so either go into sprite mode, right click where there is no sprite, and left click on the sprite to remove it, or go to the sprite menu, click 'other sprite', type in 0, and then left click to place the '0' sprite.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oh, hey...that makes a lot of sense. Now why didn't I think to try that? :dopekeen

Okay, well, problem solved. Thanks!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

And I guess ammo is zero in the beginning of every level and player has got pogo?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

If you go by the XkyKeen2 story, the only levels you'll put the "no ammo" tile would be a Stealth/Sneak level. Keen automatically starts with the pogo stick, in Keen2, and the pogo tile was patched to set Keen's ammo to zero.

As a side effect of this, I had to design each level from the standpoint of a player POSSIBLY having zero ammo at the start of it--something to keep in mind! :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah. I just meant that will there be something additional patching such as with the other level competitions... But I guess none is even needed, we could just assume player might have any number (including zero) of shots in the beginning of any level. :)
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

Sent.

(oh, and I suck at making levels, so I understand if it doesn't make it into the finished product :bloody)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I got it, thanks! And of course it will end up in the final product!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Is there a specific level number we should be modifying? I chose LEVEL11.CK2, because it's nice and big already. I think it's the final level, if I'm remembering correctly.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

:confused You should be creating a new map. When you email me the level, it can have whatever name you want, because I'm going to randomly stick all of them into slots.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Can we nifty up the map level for this one? It'd be good to have an interesting map to explore instead of just a bunch of tiled passages like in previous contests. Perhaps we could find a way to create a collaborative map, each leveler linking in their own level with a path and some scenery, though it might be a bit more difficult to manage.