Multiplayer in Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Multiplayer in Commander Genius

Post by pizza2004 »

Now, don't get your hopes up that this will be implemented any time soon, but I thought it would be best to start a new thread for everyone to discuss multiplayer in.

The main things I know about multiplayer are that we want a co-op mode, where multiple people can play the original levels, or maybe slightly changed levels to take advantage of the multiple people.

We want a deathmatch mode, with entirely new levels made for each game, 4 per game, designed as a closed in level with no exit, like a battle stage. And we want online support for both modes eventually.

I'd like suggestions on what to do, and I'd love it if people would start designing some of these levels for us to use. Keep in mind, we want 4 for the 6 games, and Dreams if possible.

We also would love to have someone design some secondary characters we could use instead of differently colored copies of keen. This includes some enemy characters for the player to select for deathmatch mode.

I'm also wondering if we should only have 2 player co-op in the final version as far as multiplayer goes. The game was never designed for more than 1 player, and having more than 2 really pushes it to a max. Who thinks we should have a 4 player co-op mode? If so, do we want to redesign the levels for when we have 3 or 4 players?

I'd like if this topic got pinned, so it isn't lost in obscurity.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Multiplayer in Commander Genius

Post by gerstrong »

pizza2004 wrote: We also would love to have someone design some secondary characters we could use instead of differently colored copies of keen. This includes some enemy characters for the player to select for deathmatch mode.
Well, in vorticons keen it already is possible because you can assign other sprites...

Ceilick made the Yorp-Sprites and they work in CG.

What else can I say. I wish that we get the multiplayer working but we need a good programmer for that or I might do it after all the other Keen episodes including mods are supported.
Having fun developing stuff...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I wouldn't worry about obscurity, pizza2004, as this forum isn't that active lately. I predict that it doesn't wander off the first page in ages.

Also I have been waiting for the yorp sprites for some while now, I'd be glad to see them finally put to good use. I'd offer my services to extend the Bleen sprites to all three vorticons (and soon even galaxy) if there's interest in having him as a multiplayer character.
For galaxy many sprites have been made by ceilick since netkeen has come out: Princess Lindsey, Oracle Janitor, Council Page, Lt Barker and Pajama Keen, though I don't see any of them as being a logical (story logic that is) mp char in vorticons.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm still interested in helping with the network code where possible. But last I checked the Vorticons code was still in terrible shape for that sort of thing so I ran off and hid in a corner.

Also it could be fun to implement the OrbKeen sprite into a multiplayer environment sometime.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@Commander Spleen:

Tell me, what is wrong about the code. if you can improve it, I have nothing against. What do you need to get it ported for networking. We should talk about that again...
Having fun developing stuff...
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, I think we should start by figuring out how to make the game splitscreen into four separate sections, one for each player. I'm wondering if this would take major changes, or if we could somehow make it work with what we have.

We will need to separate all the code so that the resolution don't affect how anything behaves, aside from the camera, and the camera could become more dynamic, like being able to zoom in and out perhaps. I know that modern computers can handle a lot more than what this program should ever be using.

As far as progress on multiplayer goes, we'll need to rebuild the rendering before we can get that working, as currently we built it to be static, and it needs to be dynamic.

Edit: As far as online or network multiplayer goes, we have to rewrite the player code so that the game can load locations from remote players, and we have to make it so it can sync all the level and inventory data.

We'll probably want a client-server based system, which means we have to make it serve to the other players, and we have to make a create and join screen for multiplayer.