The Bipship - Keen Utilities and More

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

As it seems you're willing to write about technical subjects, perhaps you could explain the Keen 1-3 level format completely. I haven't found anything that'd explain all the stuff in detail. The one I've read, written ages ago didn't yet know the purposes of all the data, but I guess it has all been solved now when there are so many level editors.

By the way, where the garg you've been? :british
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

It's nice to see that you're still working on your site, CK Guy.
The tl;dr section seems to work nicely now. I look forward to reading some articles. And no, I haven't managed to break the members section (yet). :)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Has anyone tried logging in with the test/test credentials and posting something on the article system?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nice, I always liked that articles thing, this gives an air of *real science* to the community.

I've been thinking about doing some in detail reviews of mods I played through, this may be a good place to put them, I'll let you know when I'm done with an article.

I have to confess this was the first time I looked around your site a little longer :o and I found it was neatly done, especially if you keep it updated (yes, Keenrush, you know it...)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Okay, What's New at The Bipship

A few things, actually. A third version of the articles system ( http://www.bipship.com/articles ), now using a MySQL database. I was hesitant to get a MySQL process because it costs a whopping 1 cent per day :crazy, and I wasn't sure I would really use it. But now that I've got one, I put it to work and am definitely getting my money's worth. What's cool is that with NearlyFreeSpeech.NET, you don't get charged for the space your MySQL databases take up, so I know have nearly 70 megabytes of stuff in databases on my site.

The second thing is the new Archive section ( http://www.bipship.com/archive ) where I now store old versions of my programs, old historic versions of other Keen utilities - of particular interest (perhaps?) is MODLATCH, adurdin's first graphics tool, which can import/export the tiles from Keens 1-3. I also put up all of the Keen version patches from this thread because spatang doesn't always work, and many of the other download links are dead. (I have uploaded these for their historical interest, as well as to appease those who dislike downloading from the Keen Collective.) There's also quite a bit of other random stuff on there that may or may not (more likely the second) be of interest to you.

Thirdly is the Mods section ( http://www.bipship.com/mods ). I created this because KeenRush has mentioned he wants a Keeniverse site redesign, and the last time he redid his site, we went with no mod site for quite a while. So here it is. It's pretty minimal, just the names of the mods, the authors, the episodes, and download links. You can also browse by author and episode.

However, while I was getting all of this done, several other possibly more important projects continued to not get done: my Keen Vorticons editor, my Keen Galaxy editor, my Keen 5 level pack, and my submission for the Lego Keen level competition.

edit: One final point. KeenRush: I owe you 1.3 cents for the bandwidth of downloading all the mods from your site. :D

edit again: Extremely delayed response, but where the garg I've been was home for the summer vacation from school, with only dialup internet, so I didn't go online much at all.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

You only think you were at home, Mort has brainwashed you. :dopekeen

Anyways, nice updates! (Gaaarg, I can't cover the bandwidth costs!) I guess you conveniently took their names and file names too? :pirate I wish I got the required motivational boost for doing my redesign. I just simply dislike that stuff and I can never get it look good... Sigh. I feel desperate.

I think I had (but it might be gone) even earlier version of Modlatch, one that could only handle Keen 1 tiles. 8) I got it to test it at the time adurding was writing the tool. (In case this isn't a false memory. Some version I tested, anyways. :o)

And yeah, get your legos gaarrrgaed, need more levels. :pumpkeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Herry Jerry wrote:(One request, though, is it possible to make the upload script on upload.bipship.com visible in hack the bipship? Or do you have to integrate the uploader with the rest of the site?)
Well! The Upload section is now active again, and is part of the rest of the site. http://www.bipship.com/upload Check it out, upload stuff, download stuff, use up lots of my bandwidth, etc., have fun. Because of the way things are set up now (i.e., with a MySQL table storing all of the uploads), I no longer pay for storage costs on uploads, but I still pay for bandwidth. So there are no more upload tickets, maximum number of files someone can upload, etc. The only restrictions are that a single file can be no larger than 5M, and you need to solve a captcha. This still leaves me vulnerable to people downloading files a bunch of times, but that is true for the rest of my site, anyway. If I do feel as though it is starting to get abused (i.e., if I get like a gigabyte of traffic in the next week), keep in mind that I'm logging IP-addresses, and people are going to start getting banned. :D

edit: And you can peek at the (kind of ugly) source code for all of this here: http://www.bipship.com/hack+the+bipship ... upload.php
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Not that I want to complain, but why did you add Patchwork Mod III to your list and not my Onward:Silcar trilogy?
And you should add the Keen4 minimod contest winners too.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

tulip wrote:Not that I want to complain, but why did you add Patchwork Mod III to your list and not my Onward:Silcar trilogy?
And you should add the Keen4 minimod contest winners too.
Sorry! I just grabbed all of the mods on KeenRush's site, and then the PM3 was posted so I added that as well. All other missing mods are all KeenRush's fault! :D

Seriously though, I would really appreciate it if someone could scrounge up the mods missing from The Garg's Mod Maze. A list of links to PCKF/K:M threads would be great.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Got your Silcar trilogy up already:
http://www.bipship.com/mods/author/Tulip
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

You're also fast, :eek
I'm impressed!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hmm, the Death to the Vorticons link isn't working for me .... it takes me to the page for the 'Project' but it contains no files ... :confused Do you happen to still have the download on your computer? If you want to email it to me, my address is me [at] [everybody's favorite Keen 6 enemy who flies around in a little yellow ship] [dot] com.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Sent.

Hope it works.

EDIT:I get a mailer daemon failure only a few seconds after I sent it. tried it again, and the same thing happened.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

tulip wrote:Sent.

Hope it works.

EDIT:I get a mailer daemon failure only a few seconds after I sent it. tried it again, and the same thing happened.
Bleh, my email must be broken again.....

Send it to my old account: theckguy at gmail dot com