TED5 on a Mac

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

TED5 on a Mac

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

This is my first day on these forums, so if I'm doing anything wrong please go easy on me.

I have TED5 downloaded on my Mac from KeenWiki, but I can't get it to work. It says that it cannot find a graphics file. When I tried it on a PC it did exactly the same thing. In both cases I used DOSBox.

Am I simply downloading it from the wrong place? What advice can you sweet-hearted superiors [/suckup] give that can solve my problem?
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

First of all, this may help you: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ceilick ... g_Tutorial

I'm not positive if it would run on a Mac, but I recommend using The Omegamatic (TOM) instead of TED5. TED5 is an old and sometimes difficult program to setup and use. It's been so long since I've set up a TED5 modding folder that I don't know what the problem you are having is.

Link to TOM topic: https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=1894

If you still would prefer TED5, I have some setup folders laying around on my computer. If you specify which episode, I could upload for you.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

TOM won't work on a Mac without the aid of WINE or some such, no. As for TED5, I think the wiki article highlights the necessary steps - you need to run tedsetup first, might be the cause of your problem.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

TerminILL wrote:TOM won't work on a Mac without the aid of WINE or some such, no. As for TED5, I think the wiki article highlights the necessary steps - you need to run tedsetup first, might be the cause of your problem.
When I run TEDSETUP.EXE, absolutely nothing happens.

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

It would help if you speciy which episode you're modding. As I said, I can link you a starter folder set up for TED5. But if TOM doesn't work on a Mac, then other essential modding programs might not work as well.

Make sure you have all the right files and followed all the earlier steps in that guide. Do you have the correct version of the Keen game? Did you run unlzexe on the execuatable? Did you extract the graphics with modkeen? Hope this helps.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Gridlock wrote:It would help if you speciy which episode you're modding. As I said, I can link you a starter folder set up for TED5. But if TOM doesn't work on a Mac, then other essential modding programs might not work as well.

Make sure you have all the right files and followed all the earlier steps in that guide. Do you have the correct version of the Keen game? Did you run unlzexe on the execuatable? Did you extract the graphics with modkeen? Hope this helps.
So, there are different ones for each game... so much for teaming bloogs with Shikadi... :(

I'll start with Commander Keen 5 for now, because of my beloved Shikadi.

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Sorry, you can't mix elements enemies from the different Keen games easily.

Here is a setup folder for Keen 5. Please read through the included readme. If anything doesn't work properly, just tell me and I can check it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22195447/Fresh5modTED5.zip
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Gridlock wrote:Sorry, you can't mix elements enemies from the different Keen games easily.

Here is a setup folder for Keen 5. Please read through the included readme. If anything doesn't work properly, just tell me and I can check it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22195447/Fresh5modTED5.zip
K, I got it working and am slowly beginning to figure it out. Thank toy very much! :D

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

No. 1 Machop Fan wrote:
TerminILL wrote:TOM won't work on a Mac without the aid of WINE or some such, no. As for TED5, I think the wiki article highlights the necessary steps - you need to run tedsetup first, might be the cause of your problem.
That's because it's not an Apple installer. You'll need wither WINE... or a REAL computer. 8)

I think that Apple's installers are .dmg.

One way that you can guarantee that everything you use will work on Mac, download DOSBox FOR MAC and use any DOS-Based Keen leveling programs. These will work as DOSBox emulates the DOS environment well enough.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

kuliwil wrote:
No. 1 Machop Fan wrote:
That's because it's not an Apple installer. You'll need wither WINE... or a REAL computer. 8)

I think that Apple's installers are .dmg.

One way that you can guarantee that everything you use will work on Mac, download DOSBox FOR MAC and use any DOS-Based Keen leveling programs. These will work as DOSBox emulates the DOS environment well enough.
tl;dr eh? :p

I have a program called Boxer which simplifies the DOSBox process a HUGE deal, and was just asking how I could get TED5 to work on it.

At this stage I've figured most thing out, and am only struggling to run my saved works without crashing the program.

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Ah, tl;dr indeed. Apologies.

Are you having difficulties with DOS, or with the program itself?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

kuliwil wrote:Ah, tl;dr indeed. Apologies.

Are you having difficulties with DOS, or with the program itself?
I'd say it's the TED5 program itself, since Boxer works perfectly at worst with all my other DOS games.