Keen Upgrades/Downgrades thread

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Good to know you are still around ;)

I did check your site - very nice, I must say.

Thanks!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hey, does anyone happen to still have the Keen6 1.0cracked to 1.5cracked patch?
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

I have something even better - a PDF version of the CK 6 manual. You just need to learn the weird names of a few monsters and you won't need a crack anymore.

If anyone is interested - http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.6624
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Keeper wrote:I have something even better - a PDF version of the CK 6 manual. You just need to learn the weird names of a few monsters and you won't need a crack anymore.

If anyone is interested - http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.6624
Well, I'd assume most people can remember the monsters names. But that doesn't make it any less inconvenient. It's annoying to have to enter a name every time, even if it is easy to do...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hehe, yeah, this wasn't because I didn't know the names. It was more for the ease of use. I'm also just interested in having a copy, so I can add it to my collection. (Yes, I horde Keen versions.)
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

CK Guy wrote:Hello, again! I'm not dead, I just haven't been Keening much lately.

Keeper, check out the 'keen collective' section under 'browse downloads' on my website. http://www.bipship.com/
Dude, you might want to get rid of those full version downloads. They are illegal to distribute. I suggest you distribute patches only, like the ones posted earlier in this thread.
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Not that I am defending illegal distribution of anything, BUT many of these files are pretty rare and hard to find. This archive is a real treasure for anyone who needs Commander Keen stuff.

This is a good thing. It should not be considered illegal in any way :)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I am currently planning on keeping them there. There's a fair bit a leeway between being a copyright anarchist and being a copyright nazi, and I think this falls safely between the two. My plan is to not blatantly link to the downloads from this forum, nor to advertise its presence on my site, but merely to have it there for people to find, or for me to direct people to from here if they're having problems with some version patch.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Keeper wrote:Not that I am defending illegal distribution of anything, BUT many of these files are pretty rare and hard to find. This archive is a real treasure for anyone who needs Commander Keen stuff.
Understood and agreed. But that doesn't excuse the spreading of them. Apogee and id are still selling these games (well, except Keen 6). Even Keen Dreams is still being sold by Softdisk's download store. I'd have expected a little more respect from Keen fans towards the original developers and publishers.

In the end, it doesn't really matter that much. I don't think either Apogee or id is actively pursuing the illegal distribution of the Keen games. They are pretty old now. They are easily available on the web (abandonware sites) or through P2P networks for free. Still... As someone who has owned (and paid for) multiple copies of all the Keen games, it doesn't feel right.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

That's wild. I've kept the initial releases of the keen games ever since I bought them, and still have the same files after all these years.

It's interesting that they fixed the reverse door glitch in keen 3 (in a few levels where you can enter a door from behind - you don't need a keycard, it just spits you through), and the F8 glitch.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

Too bad they still left a bunch of bugs unfixed, one of the levels allow you to get stuck if you walk through those one-way portals and forget to pick up a certain (green?) keycard before doing that, some levels aren't completely accessible, the blue keycard has a light blue background in your inventory and the mixed up scoring between certain items. >:
Last edited by Litude on Mon Mar 23, 2009 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

Not to mention they still didn't fix Hal's Kitchen or Caves of Oblivion.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

Yeah that's what I meant with "not completely accessible", but the worst bug of these is in my opinion in Fort Vorticon (map), which by the way is probably the hardest map in the game. In the final underground part if you get the red keycard, walk through the one-way portal, take the path below and go through the red door and then go through the next one-way portal you're stuck.
Imagine my frustation spending a lot of time trying to get through the level as it's difficult and then I found myself stuck between a green door with no keycard and a one-way portal facing in the wrong direction (and on top of all, it's almost at the end already. :bloody
Aroenai
Vortininja

Post by Aroenai »

Genius314 wrote:Well, I'd assume most people can remember the monsters names. But that doesn't make it any less inconvenient. It's annoying to have to enter a name every time, even if it is easy to do...
:evil How about a loader that does it for you in under 6 kb? (v1.0 through v1.5; EGA and CGA)

EDIT: This will also fix the Molly bug in v1.4 now too :mortlol

http://www.mediafire.com/?guz124znndd

You can do the same thing with ckpatch, this just saves some typing.
Last edited by Aroenai on Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:33, edited 3 times in total.
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

Any easy modkeen users?
RIP Eduard Khil